Honda Insight Forum banner

241 - 260 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
1st
Over the years , I have gotten used to working the way it works .. but .. Soo , kind of like the language I speak , it starts to seem easier for me , but French is easier than English for someone else, but French would be very hard for me .. but .. I will still agree ... the PL8 CCS definfately is not perfect and definately has room for improvement.

2nd
I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression .. no miracles or anything like that .. perhaps instead of 'psychic' .. another way to describe it would be .. the difficulty is mainly , once you know what it is you want it to do .. top voltage , bottom voltage , amp rate , charge time out , discharge time out , CV or not , balance or not , etc .. etc .. once you know how you want it .. you then have to translate that through the filter of the constraints of the built in safeties , and into PL8eese language for it to understand you.

----

Even without either of the two post #10 , files I posted .. the 3.35 firmware file for the PL8 or the LTO preset .. even without either of those .. if your Duo won't accept them.

For your discharge 12s battery to a set voltage without the balance leads effort.
You can do that under the unbalanced 24v Lead Acid OEM preset .. with it selected as being unbalanced , you don't need the balance nodes/leads .. then set the discharge voltage for the whole 12s pack .. keep in mind .. a 24v PbA battery is a 12s PbA battery .. a 24v NiMH battery is a 20s or 21s NiMH battery .. etc.

There is more than one path.
Just one such example:
24v PbA is a 12s battery .. could be unbalance charged from 2.0v per cell x 12s = 24v pack .. up to as high as 2.75v per cell x 12s = 33v pack .. I don't know about your Duo .. but my PL8 lets me choose those cell level voltages in 5mV cell steps .. 5mV x 12s = 60mV pack steps .. Soo , I can set that to charge to any pack voltage between 24v and 33v in 60mV steps .. Could be unbalance discharged as low as 1.0v per cell x 12s = 12v pack .. or discharged as high as 2.0v per cell x 12s = 24v pack .. and maybe yours is different .. but mine lets me do discharges in 1mV cell steps x 12s = 12mV pack steps .. Soo , I can set that unbalanced 12s (24V) Pba pack to discharge to any voltage between 12v and 24v in 12mV pack level steps .. PbA doesn't usually use balancing , so unbalanced without the node wires is allowed .. just be careful not to over discharge or over charge , as there is no cell level monitoring set up like that.

Be mindful sense that would be liying to the PL8 about what chemistry and such it is connected to .. you have to be sure you set it correctly .. you won't be able to rely on it's safeties when you lie to it about what is happening .. so be careful not to over charge any cell , or over discharge any cell , as without cell level monitoring it can't do that check for you .. and each PL8 can only cell level monitor up to 8 cells at a time , it just can't monitor 12cell voltage at the same time in one PL8 unit ... you could do two 6s .. that would still get you to 12s , and it would allow for cell level monitoring .. but two 6s would take both A and B of your duo .. and you would have to get the balanced cell level tweaked.

That will be entirely different for when you go to do cell level testing .. but .. for the non-balanced discharge it is an option.

----

Just to try to help clarify .. as Jim wrote .. the PL8 OEM has not yet released OEM update to allow for LTO chemistry on all their products to all their users .. When I talked to them .. They said they just don't yet see enough demand for that specific chemistry to warrant that kind of investment .. and to be fair .. they are correct , compared to other types (LiFePO4 , LiPo , etc) there are still far fewer people using LTO .. that is why there are fewer BMSs , fewer chargers , fewer anything .. the market for LTO stuff is getting better slowly .. but it is just not 'penetrated' as much as other types of chemistry have .. soo as Jim wrote if you call them up .. the average tech you get on the phone will be polite , professional , etc .. but they might not not be able to help you very much if you start asking them about LTO specific questions .. the reality is that it is still just not a common chemistry type.

I and several others here in InsightCentral here planning on doing alot of testing of LTO cells .. Although I was able to tweak some of the other presets to get it to work .. and even after many many years experience using the PL8 it still took me a while .. so to make that effort easier .. that's why that firmware and preset were developed .. the newer way (with both firmware and perset) was better (for me anyway) .. and I think it made it better of the others as well (Jim, etc) .. if those pieces of software aren't compatible with your duo , that means you are kind of stuck back with the harder pa th we were working with 1st .. which sucks for a newbie to be doing it the 'hard way'.
Thanks for helping me understand the the voltage parameters. I figured it was multiplied to the amount of cells the pl8 expects to be in series, but wasn't sure.

Regarding the presets, how did you built your preset without basing it on one of the established presets loaded into the software? Or if it were based on a software preset, how did you bypass the "safety" features? Is there a developer software that is needed like eq1 alluded to? I just don't see where to build a preset from the ground up on this particular CCS.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm stuck. Emailed with Tim at revolectrix and it doesn't sound very promising. I don't think the coding would be terribly hard to fit the existing LTO preset that works for the PL8v2 over to the DPL8, so if its reasonable I'll pay for their coder to transfer the existing LTO code. I'll update this thread when I know more.

·
Registered
62 Posts
But you all know this stuff already.

How hard do you think it will be for the profile to be transferable to the DPL8? Only 7 lines of errors shouldn't be too hard to fix? I'd pay something for that workable line of code. Better than $450 paper weights.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Haha, this thread has gone quiet. I feel like I stumbled into something I ought not have. Seriously, no hard feelings on my end, I'd still very much like to figure this out. I'm also in communication with Tim and RMA, but they're saying $1000 to develop the preset. Obviously, that is really cost prohibitive so hopefully there's another solution that involves access to the developer software. I'd pay someone a reasonable amount of money for their time to fix the 7 error code line edits or could try and do it myself. I've spent too much time and money on this machine to just let things go without trying to solve what seems like you all were able to do with the pl8v2. I hope this all doesn't come off as problematic, but I really have no where else to go on this unless I start from scratch with a new charging system. Worse comes to worse, I'll try and track down a pl8v2 and use the already developed preset.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Haha, this thread has gone quiet. I feel like I stumbled into something I ought not have. Seriously, no hard feelings on my end, I'd still very much like to figure this out. I'm also in communication with Tim and RMA, but they're saying $1000 to develop the preset. Obviously, that is really cost prohibitive so hopefully there's another solution that involves access to the developer software. I'd pay someone a reasonable amount of money for their time to fix the 7 error code line edits or could try and do it myself. I've spent too much time and money on this machine to just let things go without trying to solve what seems like you all were able to do with the pl8v2. I hope this all doesn't come off as problematic, but I really have no where else to go on this unless I start from scratch with a new charging system. Worse comes to worse, I'll try and track down a pl8v2 and use the already developed preset.
Obviously I don't have a PL8 and just use a power supply and load tester for my tests, but I am a programmer by trade so if I can help let me know. At least looking at a bit of the information above the two main questions for the PL8 team would be is it the out of date firmware causing the errors or the fact that it's the dual powerlab and not the single. The second is how to get access to the charge control software. @IamIan since you made this before do you remember what you had to do to get access to the developer options if you needed them?

As for paying revolutrix to do something that makes their product better that seems ludicrous especially something that high. They clearly already made a general purpose piece of software that they then just enter parameters into (voltages, CC or CV charging, etc.)

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
I'm sorry I pointed you toward this deal on eBay. Obviously that was a mistake. I think that you could tinker with the existing profiles and do some testing, but it certainly isn't ideal. I would have never expected that the dual, a twin of the PL8 would have been be so neglected regarding updates.

The expensive pwr supply part of the eBay package looks like the current one, so that is a deal on a good piece of equipment. You could sell the dual on eBay and recover all or most of your investment, then simply buy a PL8V2. Unfortunately the reduced price PL8V2 is backordered due to Covid shortages. Just a thinking.

There may be another option among other charging systems in the market, but it was my experience that most hobby level chargers won't handle large discharge levels. In fact your requirements of your solar system may be significantly different from my requirements for vehicle application.

Your testing requirement is a difficult one. Not only are you testing a difficult, low volume, high capacity battery type, you also need to test in volume.:(

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Haha, this thread has gone quiet.
I don't know about others .. but for me .. I do have to sleep and go to my job ;)
soo .. there can be 18+ hour gaps where I am not online , and do not respond.

I feel like I stumbled into something I ought not have.
No .. it's just 2 things:

#1> The same struggles the rest of us 1st had , working within the restrictions of the OEM safeties .. for a uncommon chemistry profile .. even with years of experience at 1st (before the updates) it took me a while to work around and get the single PL8 to do what I wanted it to do.

and

#2> Your different model of device .. with different firmware .. doesn't seem to be letting you install the 2 pieces of updated software that fixed ~99% of those issues for me , Jim , etc on our single PL8 .. the updated firmware and the LTO preset .. both files are linked to be able to download on Post #10 of this thread.

Obviously I don't have a PL8 and just use a power supply and load tester for my tests, but I am a programmer by trade so if I can help let me know. At least looking at a bit of the information above the two main questions for the PL8 team would be is it the out of date firmware causing the errors of the fact that it's the dual powerlab and not the single.
yup.
The LTO preset I uploaded (post #10) .. for single PL8 running firmware v3.35 .. is not working with the duo PL8 v1.10 firmware .. throwing error codes.

Thanks for helping me understand the the voltage parameters. I figured it was multiplied to the amount of cells the pl8 expects to be in series, but wasn't sure.
Happy to help.

The second is how to get access to the charge control software.
The normal level charge control software is free for down load.

Regarding the presets, how did you built your preset without basing it on one of the established presets loaded into the software?
At 1st I did base it on modified versions of the OEM pre-loaded presets .. that were there in the single PL8 normal firmware v3.34.

I can't promise you that your duo v1.10 firmware is the same as that single v3.34 was.

After some tweaking I eventually got it doing ~90% of what I wanted .. enough for me to do my 1st batches of testing .. but .. it was not a very user friendly method , and those with less exerience with the PL8 than me were having considerably more trouble than I did .. thus the v3.35 firmware (which added LTO as a chemsitry option) , and the LTO preset .. bringing it up to ~99% of what I wanted , and made it much more user friendly to do LTO for other less experienced PL8 users.

Or if it were based on a software preset, how did you bypass the "safety" features?
When I was basing it on the other chemistry presets PbA , NiMH , etc .. I wasn't bypassing the 'safety' features .. I had to work with them.
The normal version of the CCS is restricted by the safeties.

Is there a developer software that is needed like eq1 alluded to? I just don't see where to build a preset from the ground up on this particular CCS.
since you made this before do you remember what you had to do to get access to the developer options if you needed them?
Yes there is a 'developer' version of the charge control software.

Yes the distribution of the developer version of the software is restricted .. and also very very $$$$

Yes the developer version of the software lets that developer change things like safety limits .. they are only restricted by the raw physical limits of the hardware .. because of this there can be considerable risk of battery fires and such .. imagine if the person changed the safety to let a single Li-Ion cell be charged at up to 33v .. it would be a fire ball.

Having the developer software yourself .. is not required .. just one person who does already have it , can probably create the updates .. ie .. you don't have to buy a whole farm to get 1 potato .. you just buy the 1 potato from the farmer who already owns a farm.

----
As for what / how I went about getting the 3.35v firmware and LTO updates for the single PL8.

1st .. I read all the Toshiba battery chemistry data .. so I understand Toshiba's PoV / claims .. voltage curve .. charge / discharge / temperature / amps of current / etc.

Then I bought a few LTO cells.

Then I tweaked the OEM single PL8 firmware v3.34 presets to be able to do the testing validation I wanted to do .. full charge .. full discharge .. etc.

Once I was then armed with all basic the information I needed to know about the chemistry itself .. so , I wouldn't be asking to pay someone else in a lab to do that testing .. then I negotiated with FMA direct .. they put me in contact with someone who already owns the full developer version of the CCS .. I described to them all the details needed for the LTO chemistry .. they then made the update files (see post #10) .. firmware v3.35 and base LTO preset to my specifcation .. of course that wasn't all free .. I did have to pay for that .. both FMA and the other guy doing the coding .. I don't recall what it all ended up being .. but it wasn't cheap.

- - - - That is what I did .. but that isn't necessarily the only way. - - - -

Other than :
#1> there are other devices .. if this one is just not working out for you.
#2> using modified OEM presets.
#3> using the single PL8 firmware v3.35 & LTO preset.
#4> having FMA make a software update to your specs for the duo.
#5> Finding someone else (not FMA) to make the duo updates for you .. someone with the full developers CCS .. or other programmer development path.

Option #6> Exploit 'expansion' channel state.
I never used this method myself .. but .. I did talk to a guy many years ago , who told me he used the expansion channel mode to make PL8's set in "Expansion" / "Slave" mode do what he wanted , sending commands of his own .. When multiple PL8's are networked together "ExpansionChannel Mode" ... there is usually 1 primary PL8 .. and the rest are "Expansion" / 'salves' .. the master is usually the only one that talks directly to the PC CCS .. the slaves all talk to the master via the linking servo cable , and those expansion/slave PL8's just do what they are told.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm sorry I pointed you toward this deal on eBay. Obviously that was a mistake. I think that you could tinker with the existing profiles and do some testing, but it certainly isn't ideal. I would have never expected that the dual, a twin of the PL8 would have been be so neglected regarding updates.

The expensive pwr supply part of the eBay package looks like the current one, so that is a deal on a good piece of equipment. You could sell the dual on eBay and recover all or most of your investment, then simply buy a PL8V2. Unfortunately the reduced price PL8V2 is backordered due to Covid shortages. Just a thinking.

There may be another option among other charging systems in the market, but it was my experience that most hobby level chargers won't handle large discharge levels. In fact your requirements of your solar system may be significantly different from my requirements for vehicle application.

Your testing requirement is a difficult one. Not only are you testing a difficult, low volume, high capacity battery type, you also need to test in volume.:(
Ah, no need to apologize. You all have been super helpful and I'm more grateful than anything. Like you said, worst case scenario I track down a v2 and sell the dpl8 on ebay.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Obviously I don't have a PL8 and just use a power supply and load tester for my tests, but I am a programmer by trade so if I can help let me know. At least looking at a bit of the information above the two main questions for the PL8 team would be is it the out of date firmware causing the errors or the fact that it's the dual powerlab and not the single. The second is how to get access to the charge control software. @IamIan since you made this before do you remember what you had to do to get access to the developer options if you needed them?

As for paying revolutrix to do something that makes their product better that seems ludicrous especially something that high. They clearly already made a general purpose piece of software that they then just enter parameters into (voltages, CC or CV charging, etc.)
I'm curious about the firmware as well. The DPL8 came out a few years after the PLv2 so I assume, even though the firmware number doesn't match, it isn't set back too far. That said I think the last firmware update was in 2014 so if they've updated the PLv2 since then and not the DPL8, it's really on the company to foot the bill. Custom preset, I don't mind throwing in some money, but a firmware update would be helpful.

"FMA technicians will continually update the presets library, which is included each time you update the Charge Control Software. This library will be supported far into the future as new battery brands and chemistries are introduced. "

This is in my manual. It seems that the past ideal to keep things up to date doesn't match the current reality. I appreciate your offer to help. Hopefully we can wrangle in someone with the software. I'm happy to provide payment if anyone is interested in spending time on this. But without the proper firmware update, I'm wondering if we're just at a wait and see impasse.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm curious about the firmware as well. The DPL8 came out a few years after the PLv2 so I assume, even though the firmware number doesn't match, it isn't set back too far. That said I think the last firmware update was in 2014 so if they've updated the PLv2 since then and not the DPL8, it's really on the company to foot the bill. Custom preset, I don't mind throwing in some money, but a firmware update would be helpful.

"FMA technicians will continually update the presets library, which is included each time you update the Charge Control Software. This library will be supported far into the future as new battery brands and chemistries are introduced. "

This is in my manual. It seems that the past ideal to keep things up to date doesn't match the current reality. I appreciate your offer to help. Hopefully we can wrangle in someone with the software. I'm happy to provide payment if anyone is interested in spending time on this. But without the proper firmware update, I'm wondering if we're just at a wait and see impasse.
I downloaded the software, poked around, and took a look at how it works and creates the preset files. For your 7 errors obviously the 6 voltage ones are because naturally LTO is genuinely over or under those limits of the other battery types. The 7th seems to indicate the different devices (dual vs single) but does this actually hold you up on device? If the device balks at it I can probably switch it to the dual and create a new preset file but a cursory glance between the dual charge control software and the pl8v2 I didn't see anything that changes for the preset file (please double check this, it'd be important for safety if the newer charge control PC software has additional fields that don't exist in the dual one). I did a quick glance but you should probably confirm going through each tab.

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
I downloaded the software, poked around, and took a look at how it works and creates the preset files. For your 7 errors obviously the 6 voltage ones are because naturally LTO is genuinely over or under those limits of the other battery types. The 7th seems to indicate the different devices (dual vs single) but does this actually hold you up on device? If the device balks at it I can probably switch it to the dual and create a new preset file but a cursory glance between the dual charge control software and the pl8v2 I didn't see anything that changes for the preset file (please double check this, it'd be important for safety if the newer charge control PC software has additional fields that don't exist in the dual one). I did a quick glance but you should probably confirm going through each tab.
I don't know about the duo.
but .. If I recall correctly ..

Even on the PL8v2 with firmware v3.33 Jim was having a little trouble getting the LTO preset to do what he wanted .. As I recall most* of those issues were fixed when he installed the v3.35 firmware update file.

*As far as I know only unresolved issues Jim still has (using his PL8v2 to test LTO cells) .. now that he has both the 3.35v firmware and the LTO preset .. is that the PL8v2 volt meter reads a little different mV than his Fluke meter.

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
I think you are either going to have to change your definition of what testing means to you, or you are going to have to seek another charger, either differrent brand or a PL8V2 - sorry. The short answer, where you likely find help and simplicity, is as greggtwep16 outlined - a power supply and a separate load. I don't know how that works in any automated fashion, but I haven't studied it. From what I've read of Ian's responses and Revolectric's lack of support, I don't think you will get there with the dual. Sorry to have put you onto it:(

The PL8V2 is currently out of stock both at the USA and Singapore stores. From the sale prices listed, it looks like the entire PL series is being discontinued.

How many packs do you have to test?

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
Even on the PL8v2 with firmware v3.33 Jim was having a little trouble getting the LTO preset to do what he wanted .. As I recall most* of those issues were fixed when he installed the v3.35 firmware update file.
I wasn't really able to get much of anything to work without V3.35 and the LTO profile. It wasn't until you came up with the profile that the PL8V2 was effective and automated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
@jime and @IamIan do you remember what those issues were? Everything I've been reading is hardware wise v1 and v2 are identical but v2 firmware allowed the hardware to push more power. So a v1 preset would likely have to turn the amps down in the preset (or prior to 3.35 firmware). Does this jive with the issues you had?

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
My issue was that I couldn't find any of the delivered presets which would test the batteries over the entire range. I certainly wanted balanced charging and cell measurement on discharge, so prior to V3.35 the whole thing was just kinda unsatisfactory. V3.35 came along about the same time. In the screen notations, it says that V3.35 updates to inclute LTO chemistry. After that I was able to load Ian's LTO Generic Balanced preset. I suspect that Ian played a role in both V3.35 and the preset. He did buy one LTO pack, so there was some expense to him. Beyond that, I just used it with no real understanding at the software/firmware level. Sorry, not much help I suspect:(

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #257 (Edited)
@jime and @IamIan do you remember what those issues were? Everything I've been reading is hardware wise v1 and v2 are identical but v2 firmware allowed the hardware to push more power. So a v1 preset would likely have to turn the amps down in the preset (or prior to 3.35 firmware). Does this jive with the issues you had?
As I recall the main source of difficulty was .. not about amps of current .. or watts of power .. but it was with the built in safeties for a specific battery chemistry preset .. trying to use a preset profile designed for a battery chemistry that isn't exactly the same as LTO is .. the safety settings of other chemistries can be worked within (as I did do) .. but it is just not user friendly to do so .. and for the amount of testing volume here , doing so might not be the best option .. like Jim wrote , it might be easiest to just swap the Duo out to a PL8v2 (so the 3.35v firmware and LTO preset for it can be used) , or some other device that will do LTO.

For example :
NiMH as a chemsitry profile uses -dV/dT for charge terminaltion .. it doesn't use CC/CV
.. and bottom NiMH cell voltage is not good for LTO .. and top LTO chage voltage is not good for NiMH.

LiPo uses CC/CV but not at LTO voltages , if you tried to discharge a LiPo battery to 1.8 or 2.0 volts (like a LTO) that would be bad for the LiPo .. if you tried to charge a LTO to LiPo top voltages (that would be bad for the LTO) ... etc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oh, I thought the machine could read the preset but it was just not behaving properly. Before the firmware update was it just that it wouldn't run the preset?

The reason I ask is perhaps it was just a Charge control software -> preset file -> firmware on device mismatch. As far as I can tell the charge control software even the old one for the dual has the ability to create all of the parameters for your LTO preset so if I remake all the parameters of your preset file in the old format perhaps the dual will be able to use it (perhaps not but if the device just doesn't run it, it will be obvious to spot). I'm just wondering if it's essentially a post firmware 3.35 preset file that doesn't work with anything previous because their format changed rather than they actually adding something important like CV style charging that it couldn't do prior (CV is just an example obviously it could do that before I just mean they actually adding something that they never needed for previous chemistries). At least looking at the two different versions of the Charge control software all the fields seem to be there so maybe I can generate an older format preset file with the same parameters of your newer one that the old devices would understand.

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
The reason I ask is perhaps it was just a Charge control software -> preset file -> firmware on device mismatch.
yes .. correct .. that is the issue.
Duo on v1.10 firmware
PL8v2 on v3.35 firmware

but .. add in ... can different hardware .. Duo vs PL8v2 .. use the same firmware ?

I don't know .. I don't have the duo .. but , it seems from AmpLee's troubles that , he has not been successful with the v3.35 firmware for the PL8v2 file (uploaded to this thread earlier) being accepted by the duo .. I don't know what is different about the hardware that would not like the firmware.

I'm just wondering if it's essentially a post firmware 3.35 preset file that doesn't work with anything previous
that part yes.

because their format changed rather than they actually adding something important like CV style charging that it couldn't do prior (CV is just an example obviously it could do that before I just mean they actually adding something that they never needed for previous chemistries). At least looking at the two different versions of the Charge control software all the fields seem to be there so maybe I can generate an older format preset file with the same parameters of your newer one that the old devices would understand.
Not a format change in software .. the v3.35 firmware adds LTO battery data to the system.

you are correct .. the CCS itself can read the preset without the firmware .. and has all the same adjustments .. but .. without the 3.35v firmware , it wont' work.

The data to be able to run each type of chemistry is in the firmware .. the preset , is the specific way the user wants to do a test this particular time .. maybe 10A .. or maybe tomorrow you want to do 40A .. or the day after you'll do 2.1v vs 2.0v ... etc .. those tweaks are the preset .. but the battery chemistry safeties and such are in the firmware.

- - - -
Maybe think of it like this.

Line 1 = Run CCS

Line 2 = In CCS load LTO preset file

Line 3 = In LTO preset .. load (LTO battery chemistry data) from v3.35 PL8v2 firmware .. Duo v1.10 firmware results in "Error" .. 'file not found'.
- - - -

Because the "LTO battery chemistry data" was added in firmware 3.35v for the PL8v2.

If the harware was a PL8v2 .. it would just be follow the steps to upload/update the firmware video walk through earlier in this thread .. but , can different hardware use the same firmware .. Duo vs PL8v2 .. I don't have the duo .. From AmpLee's trouble , my guess is the different hardware won't take the same firmware .. which is not unheard of to happen when it comes to hardware and firmware updates .. kind of sucks in this case .. but needing different firmware for different hardware is itself not uncommon.

·
Registered
79 Posts
yes .. correct .. that is the issue.
Duo on v1.10 firmware
PL8v2 on v3.35 firmware

but .. add in ... can different hardware .. Duo vs PL8v2 .. use the same firmware ?

I don't know .. I don't have the duo .. but , it seems from AmpLee's troubles that , he has not been successful with the v3.35 firmware for the PL8v2 file (uploaded to this thread earlier) being accepted by the duo .. I don't know what is different about the hardware that would not like the firmware.

that part yes.

Not a format change in software .. the v3.35 firmware adds LTO battery data to the system.

you are correct .. the CCS itself can read the preset without the firmware .. and has all the same adjustments .. but .. without the 3.35v firmware , it wont' work.

The data to be able to run each type of chemistry is in the firmware .. the preset , is the specific way the user wants to do a test this particular time .. maybe 10A .. or maybe tomorrow you want to do 40A .. or the day after you'll do 2.1v vs 2.0v ... etc .. those tweaks are the preset .. but the battery chemistry safeties and such are in the firmware.

- - - -
Maybe think of it like this.

Line 1 = Run CCS

Line 2 = In CCS load LTO preset file

Line 3 = In LTO preset .. load (LTO battery chemistry data) from v3.35 PL8v2 firmware .. Duo v1.10 firmware results in "Error" .. 'file not found'.
- - - -

Because the "LTO battery chemistry data" was added in firmware 3.35v for the PL8v2.

If the harware was a PL8v2 .. it would just be follow the steps to upload/update the firmware video walk through earlier in this thread .. but , can different hardware use the same firmware .. Duo vs PL8v2 .. I don't have the duo .. From AmpLee's trouble , my guess is the different hardware won't take the same firmware .. which is not unheard of to happen when it comes to hardware and firmware updates .. kind of sucks in this case .. but needing different firmware for different hardware is itself not uncommon.
I looked at the firmware binaries in the code for the CCS and they are different so no I don't think they are interchangeable. For instance version 1.10 for the dual is where they added LiHV which happened at firmware 3.32 on the single. Those binaries are quite different size wise and content wise so I really doubt they can be interchangeably installed.

As far as the chemistry data I guess I was mistaken to think that the fields in the presets were the chemistry data (charge/discharge methods, voltages, etc.), the preset data is quite comprehensive especially when you turn on developer mode I wonder what additional is in the firmware that isn't in the preset. It also makes it so it isn't a generic programmable charger and they have to make changes for every new battery type that comes along (though perhaps FMA views it as a way to make money).

@AmpLee I did take Ian's preset and at least flip it so it passes the dual's checksum. You can give the two below (one with empty chemistry and one with unknown chemistry) a try but I suspect that neither will run similar to Jim trying to run "LTO" chemistry without the 3.35 firmware update. If for whatever miracle either of these do run watch it like a hawk to make sure it's behaving correctly in a safe environment. It has all the same safety parameters as Ian's preset but without the firmware it shouldn't be left alone. Likely it won't matter and the device won't run the preset.

As for paying FMA $1000 for them to add to the dual what they already were paid for by Ian for the single seems ridiculous to me. Essentially the dual doesn't have the 3 latest firmware updates (3.33, 3.34, and 3.35 (the LTO update). Keeping their stuff up to date was promised in the manual and the dual and likely the non touch pl8's going forward seem to be abandoned.

Rename below to a .zip extension and unzip the two presets to try.

Attachments

241 - 260 of 275 Posts