Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put about 1,200 miles on my Insight over the last 48 hours (long boring story), so I had time behind the wheel to ponder some of the questions/peeves I've had that I've been trying to ignore. I should probably have made multiple threads, but I didn't want to clutter the forum.

1) First thing on my mind is the lack of lumbar support, at least in my '02 Insight. I'm constantly stretching my back while driving, but I'm still sore when I get out whether it be 50 miles or 500. Has there been a stand-out successful addition/modification to the Insight seat? I've had my eye on the travel size Tempur-pedic seat cushion from Brookstone, but I'm open to suggestions.

2) I clear my trip odometer every time I fill up and I've noticed a pretty consistent difference in the cumulative mileage the display shows, and the mileage I manually compute using the number from the gas pump. My hand calculations are a consistent 3-4 mpg less than what the computer claims. (Fyi, computer told me at the last fillup that my trip average was 73.5 mpg, and I calculated it as 69.5mpg). Is that normal? Is there a needed update?

3) I need a car cover. I remember reading a while back that a few members really liked the Car Capsule, but I don't know if it's worth $200. I'm open to debate on it. There's several by LeBra, et al on eBay, including this one that I thought might have promise:
http://tinyurl.com/33r5bn

If there's a better cheap/moderately priced one, please let me know. If the Car Capsule is a must, push me in that direction, please. :)

4) Finally, I have a small peeve regarding the forum. Granted, I visit here a lot, and thanks to the feedback from members here, I stopped procrastinating and bought my Insight last year. I only say this in the context of constructive criticism, and I would honestly be shocked if it hasn't been brought up before.

I personally feel that the search function is extremely hindered because there is no "Search topic title only" option. I have never seen a forum search function that has a "Search message text only" function instead, and it makes much more sense to me to be able to limit your criteria to the titles only to help condense the search results.

Because of the current search setup, I don't like to use it and would rather take the risk of posting a redundant thread than search through pages and pages of unrelated threads. For instance, awhile back I was looking for specific information regarding the rear speakers. "Speakers" returns 234 matches, which took quite some time to whittle down. Searches for "gas mileage" and "car cover" aren't fun either. :oops: It's a bearable characteristic, just thought I'd mention it.

I still like my Insight, and I still like this great place. Just wanted to get that little bit off my chest. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
First, I raised the seat using spacers by about 3/4 inch. I machined PVC spacers and purchased exceptionally strong socket head machine screws of an appropriate length.

Second, I unzipped the back cover and used pieces of rubberised underpadding to give extra support in the lumbar region. These I placed between the flat springs and the contoured foam in the seat. I used a piece of fiberglass printed circuit board between the springs and the pieces I cut out, to prevent the springs from sinking into the underpadding pieces. I went this route to keep the car looking stock. The mod is invisible but you can feel the difference. :D

The Insight is now a comfortable custom fit.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I bought the Wet Okole seat covers and there was an option for lumbar support, which i did not get, which in retrospect i should have! Pre-Insight days i used to commute a lot in Massachusetts and a lumbar pillow worked wonders for me. Now, i just roll up a towel and put it in my lumbar area between my back and the seat.

For the most part my car's computer of mpg's and the manual calculations have been pretty close. My last tank was VERY bad, i have idle'ed ONCE in the past 3-4 weeks!!!!!! And because of the cold, i have been starting my car in the AM to warm it up. I was hoping the computer was wrong, but i really did only get 39mpg :( So far my new tank, with slightly warmer temps is 49mpg. Closer to normal. Thankfully!!!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: Lumbar support, mileage discrepancy, car covers, & m

mrredrocker said:
I personally feel that the search function is extremely hindered because there is no "Search topic title only" option. <snip>
Please review the rules regarding suggstions (the general rule before rule 1).

phpBB is open source software, know any programmers willing to do the job :?: (rhetorical, but visit the official phpBB forum if you have the code. ;) )

Yes, searching large databases is always a difficult task. Well chosen key words are the trick. Single keywords are rarely sufficient. And then there's the problem of well chosen titles. Many members are not thinking of future searches when titling their threads. I personally know of many good threads in here with great information that will not be revealed by a title search. And then there's topic drift... I could go on an on.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
1) before spending money modifying the seat, keep in mind that the seats are ergonomically designed to be used in the most upright or almost upright position (5 to 10 degrees from vertical). In this position I find the Insight seats very comfortable for long drives. Unlike what most people think, seating angle is not simply a matter of personal preference, there is a proper ideal seat angle that should be used for maximum long term comfort and maximum control. Real race seats are not adjustable and are available in just a few seat angles and most are very upright.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts

mrredrocker said:
2) I clear my trip odometer every time I fill up and I've noticed a pretty consistent difference in the cumulative mileage the display shows, and the mileage I manually compute using the number from the gas pump. My hand calculations are a consistent 3-4 mpg less than what the computer claims. (Fyi, computer told me at the last fillup that my trip average was 73.5 mpg, and I calculated it as 69.5mpg). Is that normal? Is there a needed update?
IIRC for those Insighters that kept a long term spreadsheet of their calculated MPG vs the display the discrepancy was 1-2%. Clearly yours appears to be much higher.

One explination is if you have different tires. The other is that you've not averaged the differences over a long enough term. The third is that there is something different about your meter.

AFAIK there is no "update" available for the MPG meter, nor is is programmable.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I usually drive my Insight for rather short distances, however I just finished a trip to Baltimore and back in one day...a round trip of about 375 miles.
Oddly enough, although I have been having some back pain lately, my back actually felt better after the drive :lol:
I keep my seat in a very upright position.
Concerning the mileage readouts...I keep a log of all my gas purchases and mileage. I find the Insight readouts to be quite accurate.
As a final comment, I finished the drive averaging 68 mpg with my Hakka winter tires 8)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I think the seat comfort thing may be some sort of conspiracy. :D I had a Subaru before I bought my Insight, and it had the same problem. On the other hand, my old Miata has terrific lumbar support.

I find that by reclining the seat way back it's more comfortable...

·
Registered
466 Posts
1) comfort. I had never sat in an Insight until I owned one. I bought it "site-unseen" 1700 miles away from home. The first night I drove it 300 miles and was very pleasantly surprised at just how comfortable it is. The next day I drove over 1200 miles in one sitting only stopping for gas and never needed to stretch. I've found the seats to be the most comfortable of any car I've sat in. I am 6'3" and most cars are built for people quite a bit smaller.

2) don't know

3) I went with a Noah cover and love it. I've only used Noah's in the past and couldn't be happier. I've owned about 6 of them now and used them both indoors and outdoors with no complaints. I think it ran about $150... if you want me to look for the receipt I can

4) Don't know

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guillermo said:
1) before spending money modifying the seat, keep in mind that the seats are ergonomically designed to be used in the most upright or almost upright position (5 to 10 degrees from vertical). In this position I find the Insight seats very comfortable for long drives.
I thought I had it completely upright, but I'll make sure before the next big drive.

Thanks for all the other seat-related tips, guys.

Insightful Trekker said:
One explination is if you have different tires. The other is that you've not averaged the differences over a long enough term. The third is that there is something different about your meter.
I'm rolling on stock tires. I suppose the term may not be long enough, but considering at every fillup I've been 3-4mpg short, there doesn't seem to be an opportunity for a reverse trend to average out the difference. :?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If your seat is very upright and your still not comfortable then you could try adding some lumbar support within the seat fabric or an external seat back pad. Or the ultimate is upgrading to Honda S2000 seats or other quality aftermarket seats. Several Insight owners have done this and love the increase in comfort the S2000 seats provide.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Insight seats

I agree with mrredrocker, the seats are too low for my comfort, and lumbar support is not adequate for me. I have had 2 back operations, so I really need good support. One can order a McCarty back support insert (or some other type of back support device). I used this for a while which not only gives support but raises the sitting height while driving. (I am 5'8"). http://www.backsupports.com/ (I used the deluxe model)
The problem with the seat insert is that it tends to shift when getting in and out of the car. So I ordered Katzkin leather seat covers (in kit form), had a local car upholstery guy install them and he put foam in the seat base and in the lumbar area and it is now very comfortable.

The company has an option for an inflatable back support device, in reality it is simply an inflattable bladder designed to be placed in the low lumbar area, but it seemed too much like an inflatable toy putting too much focal pressure and not a recontouring effect, plus the inflater was a bulb-like pumping device connected to a tube and this was to be hanging out so one could access it for pumping and I didn't think this would be aesthically pleasing, nor as functional.

I once put the Brookstone Tempurpedic foam cushion made for sitting in my Insight, and 2 undesirable problems were obvious. 1. The sitting surface of the seat was too high. 2. The viscoelastic foam turns very hard in cold conditions, but at room temperature (in a bed) it is quite soft and becomes even softer where the heat of ones body comes in contact with it giving it its desired properties of relieving pressure points and you literaly sink into it. Even in a car if the temperature was high enough you would compress it down and be adjusting your seat as it warmed up. I concluded it was not really applicable to car (or motorcycle) seats, as opposed to indoor "zero gravity" type chairs or in an office chair.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I love the Insight's seats & find them very comfortable, but my husband says that they hurt his back terribly. We ended up trying the "Dr. Grosso's Back Relief Belt" ($15 as seen on TV item that he found at target, you can get them lots of places, even eBay) and he says that it works great. Although, now that I have seen the in-seat mods that some here at Insight Central have tried, I may try something different for him ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got my Tempurpedic Transport back support in the mail. I got a good deal on it, so I thought I'd try it out. Drove around town this afternoon, and it seems to offer vast improvement.

It's just the right dimension for the stock Insight seat. Someone wrote earlier that it would get too soft from body heat, but I didn't find that. The foam in this pad is actually much denser than what's on the beds (I own one, so I know). Adjustment may be necessary over time while driving, but if you sit in one place the entire time, you're going to become uncomfortable regardless.

I'll keep that in-seat modification in mind though, that's a pretty cool concept.

·
Registered
569 Posts

mrredrocker said:
I've had my eye on the travel size Tempur-pedic seat cushion from Brookstone, but I'm open to suggestions.
I have the Tempur-pedic cushion from Brookstone and it improves comfort considerably. It also raises me up a bit which is an added benifit.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
FYI,

The Schukra lumbar support segment of this thread is such a nice modification that for the sake of making it easier to find and more clearly document the process I've split out the most specific posts from this thread into its own thread here:

Modifications & Technical Issues
Schukra lumbar support Modification
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=6297

Feel free to continue the other aspects of this thread here, but please follow-up to the new thread (as linked above) for any "Schurka" _specific_ posts.

HTH! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts