Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone! I'm a brand-new Insight owner, and have had my beautiful silver '02 for less than a week. It's incredibly fun to drive, so cute, and FAR more fuel efficient than my little '85 Buick! ;)

Something's bugging me about my new car, however. When accelerating from a stop, the car often either shudders tremendously or lurches about three times, as tho I was stepping on and then suddenly releasing the gas. The shuddering is more common when coming out of auto-stop, although either symptom can happen at any time, and it sometimes starts without doing either. I've also started noticing a more subtle lurching feeling when traveling at a constant low speed (10mph or less). It's an automatic, and I wonder if the CVT could be having issues.

This car was actually sold in '03 and only has 26k on it, so I've still got full factory warranty through next July or 32k, whichever comes first. The dealership is going to take a look at it next Thursday the 15th, but I was wondering if anyone had some advice before I go in.
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Welcome to the forun Firebringer,

Before you spend your money at the dealer read the EGR cleaning thread, cleaning the EGR should help, it sounds like an EGR problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Calpod!! Actually, since I purchased it so recently and it's still under the original factory warranty, I hope Honda will eat the cost...I'll talk to them on Thursday (they've agreed to check the stereo as well, since we don't seem to be getting any sound out of the rear speakers, so I'll be taking it in anyway) and see if they'll just slap in a new EGR valve.

·
Registered
242 Posts
well, you may not have rear speakers - they were optional in '02 as far as I know. If they're not there, that would account for not getting any sound out of them.

Do a search for speakers - some who have tried adding rear speakers don't like them, some do...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Jim - I'm surprised to hear that, and I wonder if the salesman I was working with could be mistaken - he indicated that the car should have come with all four speakers standard. Well, if they're going to fix me up with rear speakers for free, I won't argue...Maybe I'll just play dumb! ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Firebringer said:
Thanks, Jim - I'm surprised to hear that, and I wonder if the salesman I was working with could be mistaken - he indicated that the car should have come with all four speakers standard. Well, if they're going to fix me up with rear speakers for free, I won't argue...Maybe I'll just play dumb! ;)
That's funny :D

Well, good luck with that, but as other people said, it only comes with 2 speakers standard... we replaced our stock speakers with two that are better quality, and that was good enough for us, but hey, if you can get rear speakers for free... :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update!

Well, my fiance took the car in today and let me borrow his Prius (which seems like one AWFULLY huge car after driving my little Insight!).

He specifically asked the dealer to check out the EGR valve, but they said it looked fine. Instead, they flushed the transmission fluid twice and called it good.

I was rather skeptical, but I have to say, it drives just fine now! No more lurching or shuddering. I'm VERY happy, and it feels really good to have the car back. I wouldn't have thought the transmission fluid could make such a dramatic difference, but it seems to have worked this time! =D

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Based on prior experience that I have been reading about, you need to RELIGIOUSLY maintain the fluid in that CVT. Some people are recommending changer intervals of half of what Honda specs. The action of the band in the CVT quickly contaminates and wears out the fluid.

·
Registered
476 Posts
check the air filter

I've seen this cause the same thing everytime. It's really the only way I know when it needs replacing

[mod insert: read the subject title of this post to understand the suggestion]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts