Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the subject says, when I start my car, the Maint Req'd light flashes 10 times & then goes out.

I searched a couple of times & the only other threads I could find said their light came on & stayed on.

Is this just an idiot light telling me to change my oil?

·
Registered
242 Posts
maintenance required light

Hi Bjaardker,

the light is flashing to tell you it's time for whatever required maintenance. If you don't attend to it, the light will come on and stay on.

Do you have an owner's manual? If so, I urge you to read it. The manual explains the function of the light, and how to clear the light.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: maintenance required light

Jim said:
Do you have an owner's manual? If so, I urge you to read it. The manual explains the function of the light, and how to clear the light.
any suggestions where i can get one? i have gotton a service manual, but the used car didn't come with an owner's manual either. thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
You don't necessarily need a manual to figure out how to reset the "Maint Req'd" light. There's a description of how to do it on this website. Here's the link:

http://www.insightcentral.net/KB/faq-ma ... MaintLight

When I had my Insight, I kept a printout of the instructions in the pocket behind the passenger seat so I could get to it quickly when the time came. I've found that about half the time the Honda dealerships forget to reset the light, even after performing the service. Oh well, at least there's a way to reset it ourselves!

·
Registered
242 Posts
owner's manual

Hi twonicaguy,

well, you could start here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ename=WD1V

I realize you have an 01, and this manual is for an 04, but I think the only changes they've made are maybe color selections (inside and out), and some upgrades to the electrical system and computers - nothing you'd notice by reading the manual. Not a whole lot has changed on these cars since 99. I'm sure you could order a manual from the dealer, also - but I bet the one on ebay is cheaper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
resetting the maint req'd light

This is an easy one to fix.
Just turn the key to the on position, not the start position, while holding the trip odometer push pin in until the maint req'd light goes off. Make sure that you have indeed changed your oil. This light is set to go off after a certain number of miles, and starts just coming on for 10 blinks. It then progresses to being on all the time, as miles are added. Its just a "friendly" reminder.

Hope that helps.

mark
01 5speed, 66.5LMPG @5280 feet above sea level.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
The Maintenance light will start blinking when you start the engine app. 500 miles before it will remain lighted steadly. Once it remains lighted, it means you have gone beyond the 7,500 miles limit.

I change oil and filter "every 7,500 miles" and have found that the light is off on the mileage. (Not in 7,500 miles incriments)
EXAMPLE:
Changed oil and filter at 142,500 miles. Light started blinking at 143,175 miles then light stayed on at 143,680 miles.

CORRECTION:
Push the trip button A/B "before" you turn the key to the 2nd position or all you will do is reset the mpg for that trip A/B. Hold the button for about 10 seconds and the light will extinguish itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts