Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Insight with some 222K miles on it, and it runs well. Like many people, I am driving far less than I used to. My latest oil change and maintenance check was six months ago, and the mileage has been just over 3K miles since then. Most of the miles are freeway miles. Should I wait for the 5K miles to change the oil or do it now? I don't do any maintenance or oil changes myself, and I rely on my mechanics to alert me of some red flags, like brake wear.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,125 Posts
Change at 7500 miles intervals and you will be fine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
For the sake of round numbers I always change my oil and rotate my tires at 5,000 mile intervals.

For our ultra low mileage customers one year service visits are recommended regardless of miles.

The IMA battery will not be happy with such low usage....

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I sent off some oil samples to Blackstone, and they confirmed that, with a near "severe" operating routine, 7500-10,000 miles looked appropriate for the 0w20 Mobile 1 I was using. Modern synthetics don't have the same requirement of being changed every year that dino oil has, so I'd probably cap it at 2 years and 7500-ish miles.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
...Should I wait for the 5K miles to change the oil or do it now?
As Willie alluded to - but didn't quite say - the regular oil change interval is 7,500 miles. BTW, the regular oil filter change interval is every other oil change.

[edit] hmm, maybe I missed the 'finer' point in all this - that OP is driving much less than he used to. I pulled out my owner's manual and this is what it says (for U.S. owners):

"Follow the severe conditions maintenance schedule if you drive your vehicle MAINLY under one or more of the following conditions:

-Driving less than 5 miles per trip or, in freezing temperatures, less than 10 miles per trip.
-Driving in extremely hot (>90F) conditions.
-Extensive idling or long periods of stop-and-go driving.
-Driving with a roof rack, or driving in mountainous conditions.
-Driving on muddy, dusty, or de-iced roads."

The normal oil change interval is 7,500 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first; the normal oil filter change interval is every other oil change or 1 year.

The severe conditions oil change and filter interval is 3,750 miles or 6 months.

In general I'm in the 'Ecky school'. I've had a couple oil analyses and they both showed I could extend my change intervals (beyond the appx. 7000 miles at which I had the oil analyzed). On the other hand, I do see the need for individuals to assess what conditions they're driving under most of the time, on a range from 'normal' to 'severe'. My driving conditions are thoroughly not severe...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help, Willie Williford, BruceinLA, Ecky, eq1. Before COVID-19, I had a work commute that featured a mountain road and drastic elevation changes. Nowadays, it's only town and freeways. I'll do 7,500 miles or one year until conditions change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts