Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I watched my maintenance minder pass 15%, 10, 5 then it started counding negative miles. The time was B123, and I had 30,200 miles on the 2011 insight. I just bought new michelin defenders 285/60/15 the weekend before I took the car in for the oil change and transmission fluid change. I noticed my previous mpg per tank dropping 1 to 2 mpg per tank, down to about 40mpg per tank(average of 44.5), and over the last 5K miles noticed a jerky condition when accelerating. So after the work and a fresh top off of fuel from my normal store, the very next tank was 49mpg, a 9mpg change for no change in driving habits at all... I would like to think the dealer added a firmware update? I will have to confirm the increase on the following tanks, but seems odd. Has anyone else noticed after maintenance their mpg increasing? I have read after 5k, 10k and 20k miles the car breaks in and mpg increases, but just curious if it is a fluke or if others have seen the same result.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I notice a 3-5 mpg gain from a oil change even at 15% service life remaining. Then up to 5mpg gain from the gas at various gas stations.

Hard to say about the firmware update. The biggest side effect is smoothness in engagement of the clutch, but a cvt fluid change has a similar effect.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Nothing like some clean oil to make everything run smoothly and efficiently! Leading to top mpg!

I change the oil at 4-5k miles. Around 50% on the MID. I know it can go longer between changes, but I've been repeatedly told that frequent oil changes are the best preventative maintenance one can do.

A smooth running engine/transmission is a happy engine/transmission, one that may live long into old age :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe the tire size is partly to blame for the lower mpg? I didn't think you could stuff that much meat under the wheel well.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Maybe the tire size is partly to blame for the lower mpg? I didn't think you could stuff that much meat under the wheel well.
I think that's a typing error, 185/60/15 is the 2012 size and many of us 2010 owners are using that size.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I would of tried a 70 or 75 tire to increas the over all gearing. As is I see my load at 50% at 55mph. Once you go over 36 it seems the cvt starts to shift ratios and you want to lug the engine to a point for best mpg.

Right now there is a thread on the eco modder form about taller tires on a crz helping mpg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts