Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has gotta be a question as dumb as "who's buried in Grant's Tomb," but what does it mean when the "maintenance required" light comes on. Is it a routine thing that lights up when the mileage rolls past a certain point, or does it mean "pull over right away, stupid"?

Mine flashed on for a few seconds at a stop sign, and hasn't come on since. But I know I'm getting close to the 60,000 mile service.

Your help is appreciated.

Jennie in Hot Springs
2000 Red 5-speed w/air #3837

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
It means that it is time for an oil change. Or the last technician forgot to reset it.

In the user manual, it is written how to reset it. On page 57. For the work not done by the dealer.

I am not sure but it will flash more and more with mileage and will become steady after some miles.
I am not sure as I alway reset it as soon as I see it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Yves. I knew I had seen it in the manual, but I'm in the middle of a move and that's what I get for reading the manual in bed; that's why I can't find it! Will get that oil changed pronto.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The Maintenance light has an automatic 6000 mile interval. It will go off independant of when the car had it's last oil change. Kind of annoying when you had already changed the oil and the light flashes on.

I would have been nice if the light reset whenever the drain plug was removed. Maybe in the next generation Insight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think the manual will state how to reset it yourself.

If not, maybe you can ask the dealer (or similar) on how to do it. I'm sure its possible to anyone to do.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Oh, man, I looooove this forum...

My Maint Req'd light came on today too! And here I come home, pull up Insight Central, and not only is my problem on the list of threads, but even the page in the manual to find the answer. Thanks...

Reader's Digest version:

Engine off: Hold down TRIP button, and while you depress it, turn on key to the "engine run" position (no need to start the car, just fire up the instrument panel), continue to hold TRIP button down 10 seconds or so until the light goes out. Remove key, and whistle while you go on your merry way... :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
It is odd that Alex Pepper"s OBD2 software is not equipped to service maintenance data.

·
Registered
24 Posts
thanks for asking.... eased my mind....

next time I'll travel far from home i'll be sure the manual is in the glove compartment... but luckily i had my computer and a hotel with internet... and a wonderful insight forum with folks who help each other out.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Manual sucks for reset

Boggetyboggety,

Thanks for your description of how to reset the Maintenance Required light. I have not been able to reset the Maint Req'd light since my "Trip" button has been non-functional since I got this car last year so I ordered the micro switches and replaced it per the following thread:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/problems-troubleshooting/14643-trip-button-doesnt-work.html

Once the work was completed the "Trip" button was working perfectly and I could toggle between Total Miles, Trip A, and Trip B. I got the manual out of the glove box and it states on page 57: "Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position, then press and hold the trip meter reset button until the indicator resets."

No where in that statement does it say that while holding down the Trip button rotate the key to the ON position! I was going crazy trying to figure out how the hell to turn off the damn light!

Thanks again for posting the "CORRECT" way to do it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank you so much for the Readers Digest version on how to reset that light. We just changed the oil in the Insight today and I was looking for a way to reset the light. So this made it easy. Thank you very much! I just ran out to the car and reset it and that worked perfectly.

Longsnowsm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts