Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The place where I had inspection done, ‘Dicks Hillsboro Honda’ did a pretty lousy job at inspecting the car before I bought it. I’m now stuck with some unfortunate emergency maintenance to get the car up to snuff.

* Insides of the tires are bald
* Alignment is off
* Brake pistons need replacement (DS)
* 12V Battery works, but low voltage.
* Engine oil is slightly dirty
* Transmission fluid is low
* Doors don’t automatically unlock after parking

Any suggestions on what to tackle first? Other things I should look out for that I could test?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I don’t seem to find in your posts the year, model, and current miles on your Insight. This is basic information one would need to help you.
Thanks for putting your location in your profile, that kinda helps too.

Do register your Honda at:

https://owners.honda.com/login

With your VIN number and it will tell you if there are any open recalls, allow you to store your radio code, tell you exactly what model it is, and give you access to owner’s manuals.

The locking/unlocking behavior is controlled by settings in the MID (multi information display) How to do that is in the manual.

The CVT fluid is OK if anywhere between the two marks.

What did the dealer have to say about it on their inspection report?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Your repairs are all critical.

Change the transmission oil. Get the CVT Honda fluid (and perhaps filters).

Might as well do the engine oil and filter at the same time.

Get the 12V battery tested for free.

Tires and alignment go together or you will ruin new tires.

Brakes are just as critical.

The door locks are in a setting you may need to turn on.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I still wonder why the brake pistons need replacing. What does (DS) mean?
Don’t remember anyone around here replacing that brake part.
I do know that the brake fluid should be replaced every three years regardless of miles.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I still wonder why the brake pistons need replacing. What does (DS) mean?
Don’t remember anyone around here replacing that brake part.
I do know that the brake fluid should be replaced every three years regardless of miles.
I wonder if someone tried to bleed the brakes and snapped off the bleeders. Replacing the "brake pistons" might mean the cylinders on the rear drums... which in my experience are the most prone to seizing up.

Probably the same for the G2 as G1, as they should have aluminum cylinders in back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for the advice!

Egads: Thank you! I've registered it with Honda. No recalls, but good to know. I tried digging into the display, but I haven't been able to figure out the locks. It's great to know that this can be controlled, I will dig in more after all of the repairs are complete. The pistons are metal pieces that squeeze the brake pads. I ruled them out as the sound doesn't seem to be coming from that location. The noise is not consistent either.

BackstreetXX: I took a lot of your repair recommendations to heart. I ended up doing almost every one of them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's been a helluva 2 weeks trying to tackle all of the unexpected repairs inflicted on be by a negligent pre-purchase inspection by Hillsboro Honda (Oregon).

So Far I have done the following work:

Replaced All 4 Tires - $300
Alignment Performed - $40
Windshield Wipers Replaced - $15
Windshield Star Crack Repaired $20
Front Wheel Bearing Replaced $200
Transmission Fluid Flush - $170
Oil Change - $40
Replaced 12V Battery - $116
Replaced Brake Pads - $30
Replaced Engine Air Filter - $16
Replaced Cabin Air Filter - $14

The Honda dealership that changed the transmission fluid (Dick Hannah Honda (Washington) turned up one other large repair that the other dealership totally missed. A crimped high voltage line (the line was collapsed 3/4). The repair was quoted at $1,600. I went back to the dealer (third party, not a Honda dealer) and he agreed to fix it for me since it was a fire and safety hazard. I'm a bit worried though. He is getting the replacement cable and housing from a junk yard for $195. I hope I'm not just making issues worse...

I still can't understand how a Honda dealer could be so damn negligent in their inspection. I thought I was saving myself a headache by going to one of the few places that could diagnose an issue with the CVT and they ended up missing some super obvious stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
NE10
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing