Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a used Insight and I'd like to know if anyone has any maintenance tips on things to look for at 40k miles. There's all the little charts in the manual and even on this site, but does anyone have any out-of-the-ordinary tips or things to pay attention to.... timing chains, clutches, cats/exhaust system, radiators, engine, ima.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi Joe,
Welcome to the club. The knowledgebase has that in it, but since the links haven't worked since the server change, it may be a little while longer until access is easier. :(
I did a quick google search and it came up with this link.
http://www.insightcentral.net/KB/faq-maint.html :D

If you knew the people who had the car before you or had the maintenance records, it would be helpful, but I wasn't that lucky. When I got my used Insight, I changed the oil immediately and have since checked everything for the maintenance schedule for 32000 miles. My car wasn't much more than that and I figured that the people knew they would be selling or trading it and didn't do the maintenance. It looks as if they did, however. :eek:
robert

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Nothing really special about the Insight matenience really. I'd immediately check the oil dipstick for an overfill and probably change the oil anyway if you don't know when it was previously done. As always it's a good idea to check the under side visually and look for anything leaking or perhaps cut CV boots. Unless your having a problem there is really no special matenience involved.

FYI.... Insight takes 2.6 quarts of oil for a change, don't overfill.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats the first thing I did and the oil looked fine coming out. It took 2.6 quarts exactly too! 0W-20.

I've overfilled my Toyota pickup plenty of times and had little trouble. Not that I strive to do so but what troubles does the Insight have with overfills?

I tend to do almost all my own maintenance and work as well do it looks like the previous owner kept her in good condition so I doubt there are many worries unless the mechanics was useless, which there are plenty of.

Does this trend seem to be true.. at about 50MPH I can average 90+MPG but pretty much for each MPH over 50 I lose 1 MPG. So I drive about 75MPH and get about 65MPG. I've seen posts about Insights not being created equal and hope mine is created better than average even with the 50.2mpg I inherited. Which I've pulled to 52.4....slowly.

Also I live in San Diego with lots of city driving and 'un-lubed' hills... although they all seem to be sliding (blame the rain). any tips for the countless numbers stop-lights. I know no A/C so I can get the auto-on/off functioning.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Joeatslo:

___Besides the immediate oil change, I had all the fluids swapped out at the 28K mark per the Honda CPO specs. I would also consider replacing the air filter(s) (HVAC cabin and ICE). I only fill w/ 2.5 quarts as you are between the marks. This also helps the FE ever so slightly vs. the full load of 2.6 quarts. It makes a nice even addition for your second oil change as well …

___To improve your FE in the short term, pump up the tire pressures and learn how to induce Auto-stop under a variety of conditions or force it if the logic isn’t made up. Take the pack out of the equation during accelerations and your FE move higher very quickly. Pack longevity will be vastly improved as well. Timing lights will surely help. You will be amazed at what timing lights at 32 - 35 mph in fifth through suburban traffic (35 mph limits) will do in terms of helping a segment or a tank.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:346kmq4e][email protected][/email:346kmq4e]

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"learn how to induce Auto-stop under a variety of conditions or force it if the logic isn’t made up. "

xcel,

How do I force Auto-Stop? I've gained some skill inducing it but no idea how to force the issue besides I imagine turning the car off.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Resist:

___There is little difference between 2.5 quarts and 2.6 quarts.

___Joeatslo, that is exactly what you will do. Once you get some time behind the wheel, you will find that sometimes in traffic, Auto-stop should have been induced but the logic wasn’t quite made up and you will sit there idling away as you coast to a stop. If you find yourself in this condition, just turn off the key one click back (shuts down the ICE) and reboot (one click forward). When it is time to start her back up again, just start her with the key like normal. It works best on a long downhill where you can coast at a crawl for as long as there is a descent to coast down ;) IMA starts are a godsend indeed!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2gs1bqa4][email protected][/email:2gs1bqa4]

·
Registered
569 Posts
originalbadbob said:
The knowledgebase has that in it, but since the links haven't worked since the server change, it may be a little while longer until access is easier.
As far as the Knowledge Base, from the Forum page, click on any link at the top of the page, "Forum", "Owners", etc, then click on the home link at the bottom of the next page. That will take you to the page to give you access to Knowledge Base or anywhere else you want to go.

·
Registered
340 Posts
As far as the Knowledge Base, from the Forum page, click on any link at the top of the page, "Forum", "Owners", etc, then click on the home link at the bottom of the next page. That will take you to the page to give you access to Knowledge Base or anywhere else you want to go.
Those links aren't working right now. When I click on them I get:
The page that you are trying to find to does not exist on InsightCentral.net.

robert

·
Registered
242 Posts
IC links

all the links are working from their various locations - top of the page, bottom of the page IF you click on them at the FRONT page: http://insightcentral.net/

If you try to click on the menu bar at the top of the page where you are reading the posts - those aren't working right now for some reason.

·
Registered
340 Posts
all the links are working from their various locations - top of the page, bottom of the page IF you click on them at the FRONT page: http://insightcentral.net/
Thanks! My bookmark doesn't start me there, so I'll change it. There is a lot of information there that I haven't been able to access, but now I can.
robert :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
originalbadbob said:
Those links aren't working right now. When I click on them I get:
The page that you are trying to find to does not exist on InsightCentral.net.

robert
Correct, and on that page click on the "Home" link at the bottom left of the page.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
xcel said:
I only fill w/ 2.5 quarts as you are between the marks. This also helps the FE ever so slightly vs. the full load of 2.6 quarts.
Okay so 2.6 quarts will put the oil at the top of the dip stick mark and 2.5 quarts will put it in the middle. That is still a safe area. I will have to try that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts