Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 honda insight, manual, 190K miles.

Yesterday 50 miles into a 200 mile round trip I noticed a bad scraping noise under the hood. I did finish my trip and the scraping noise still happens. The temps seemed fine.

Here are a few videos of the noise. Two of the videos show the car will even stall sometimes after starting now. The car is still derivable and usually does not stall out, but it can sometimes as shown in the video.

One thing that I think is just a coincidence, I did recharge my A/C right before this happened. But it was working fine at the time I recharged it. The A/C does not work now and the compressor does not even turn. I don't see how this is an issue because the A/C is off and it still does it.

Do you think I can still drive the car like this for 20 mile trips or am I taking extreme risk and need to park the car until I fix it?

What should I do to try and point point the issue?

What parts should I order?

YOU CAN HEAR THE NOISE IN THIS VIDEO, IT IS CONSTANTLY LIKE THIS

IN THIS VIDEO THE CAR ACTUALLY STALLED AFTER STARTING.

IN THIS VIDEO THE CAR ACTUALLY STALLED AFTER RAISING THE RPM AND LETTING GO OF THE GAS

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I'm betting either the A/C pulley bearing or belt tensioner bearing.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
If these are the problem, you risk breaking a belt and overheating the motor.

To verify, take the belt off and start engine. If noise gone, it has to be one of those two. You can spin each of the pulleys by hand and will feel roughness if bad.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi, I removed the belt and it seems to be the A/C that is the issue. The tension pulley and the water pump pulley seems fine.

This may be why my A/C does not work anymore.

What would you recommend I do to fix this? Would I have to replace the entire compressor?

Does it seem kind of weird that I charged the A/C and then the compressor broke?

I'm leaning on replacing the whole A/C compressor with an after market one from rock auto. Will cost me around $230 dollars. What worries me is the A/C is not working anymore and was giving me trouble around the time this noise started. There is also play on the A/C pulley and I read in another post that this means the shaft could have worn down and changing just the bearing may not be good enough.

Do you think I need a honda A/C unit, or just get an aftermarket one and call it a day?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Aftermarket may last a year or two at most. I would take the clutch apart and see if the bearing can be replaced if that is the problem.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,666 Posts
Go for the aftermarket one and say thank you for being "cool".

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,666 Posts
Nothing wrong with aftermarket AC compressor if you stay with a good mfg.
From Honda you will have to sell an arm and a leg to get it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sounds like a compressor coming apart internally your going to need to replace the receiver/dryer and flush the system before putting a new compressor and receiver/dryer on the car

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I'm thinking of doing is getting the smaller belt and just bypassing the A/C for now so I can use my car. Then I'm going to pull the A/C clutch off the car and see just how bad things look. If the shaft is bad.

A couple of questions if any of you can speculate on.

1) Did adding refrigerant into my A/C somehow make the A/C bearing fail?

2) Why is the A/C clutch not engaging now? I put A/C gauges on and I have a high side pressure of 150 PSI, but also a low side pressure of around 140 psi, I think this is because the A/C is off and pressures equalized.

3) Would it make sense to just buy the A/C clutch if I determine that is all that is bad by pulling the A/C clutch?

Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
1 No it’s old
2 as you said the clutch failed so of course it won’t engage and the pressure is almost equal
3 yes a new compressor and receiver/dryer after flushing the system would be the best way to go

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just did the most stupidest thing and ruined my compressor shaft. Still so pissed about this and can't believe how stupid I was. Probably will cost me a lot of extra money when all I would need to do was replace the clutch.

I forgot to remove the snap ring and then went to remove the pulley. I put so much force with the bearing puller that I broke the shaft where the snap ring clips into. I also bent the pulley.

I didn't really see the snap ring because my bearing was so burnt out it blended into the bearing. I did watch a youtube video on doing this the day before and should have known better, but my lack of experience with replacing A/C compressors made me totally not realize the bearing/ pulley was held on by a snap ring.

This cost me probably $200-300 dollars depending on how I fix my A/C. The A/C worked before the bearing went.

Do you guys agree that I just cost myself $200-$300 dollars and could have just replaced the clutch?

This picture showed the pulley before pulling it off, I didn't notice the snap ring. I actualy thought the little bearing was being pulled off the small shaft. I just had no damn idea.

Pulley pulled off, took an impact gun to put enough force to actually break it. You can see the little piece missing at the end, this was grooved for the snap ring.

Pulley is all bent from pulling it so hard

1 - 12 of 12 Posts