Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And The Honda Insight Is One Of Them.

More info at the link
Major security flaw 'leaves 100 car models at risk of being stolen' - Mirror Online

A major security flaw could leave scores of car models at risk of being stolen, according to a paper published after a two-year legal battle.
Volkswagen had used its lawyers to keep the research under wraps, reports the Birmingham Mail.
It was compiled by University of Birmingham computer scientist Flavio Garcia and his colleagues Baris Ege and Roel Verdult from Radboud University Nijmegen in the Netherlands.
They discovered more than 100 models of cars produced by 26 car manufacturers are at risk of theft by hackers who could crack codes to produce fake keys - thanks to flaws in a device designed to prevent vehicles from being stolen.

:)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
^^Interesting research out of NL and UK. I wonder how many vehicles have been stolen in that manner so far.

[btw: requirement to complete the small poll for the news group prior to continue reading the article can be avoided at this site:

Scientist wins two-year legal battle with Volkswagen to publish research* | Daily Mail Online ]

Here's another disturbing hacker exploit that appeared a few months back that purportedly could cause havoc via remote control in at least one type of vehicle:
Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway?With Me in It | WIRED
video at
http://dp8hsntg6do36.cloudfront.net/55ad80d461646d4db7000005/531bc5de-3185-49d1-ae1d-2e4acb580efelow.webm

·
Super Moderator
6,867 Posts
Probably Gen2 Insight at risk. Honda couldn't even sell the Gen1. Mostly at 15 years old, no one is going to that much trouble to steal one.

It's like everything else digital or internet. Digital thieves break in and steal. Digital plus internet plus data banks means theft bigtime. I've been hit twice this year:mad:

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I was looking into a remote start/fancy 2 way communication car alarm. I went over the options with the dealer that would install it. We talked about hood alarm, motion alarm, tilt alarm, shock alarm, etc. Basically different ways the alarm would monitor stuff to trigger it. Long story short I came to the realization that nothing could prevent someone with a tow truck from taking it away. :confused:

So, long story short I didnt get the alarm.

"However, the three men discovered that by tuning in to the wireless communication between the car and the transponder just twice, it was possible to narrow the number of potential combinations down to just 200,000.
Automated 'cracking' programmes could then try every one of those 200,000 codes in just half-an-hour."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts