Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was not an original idea; I got it from GregB (link). Many thanks for doing the research:)

I don't think the Scangauge is in vogue anymore with the OBDC&C, but I had one sans the cable and finally got around to installing it. Works great so far and was free so no complaints.

That basically covers it.

Pros:
-Free, easy way to get any length Scangauge II cable in your car.
-I assume you'll be able to use the OBD port with another OBD scanner without having to disconnect the Scangauge II

Cons:
-Supposedly only works with Scangauge II

Cost:
-Probably free. A few bucks max.

Tips:
-Be sure to check your ethernet connector for pin style.
-Test your Scangauge by sticking the 3 wires into their respective slots via the connector side first.
-Don't yank on the OBD pins trying to get them out. Remember to undo each terminal lock (one on top, one on bottom) and then I found it easiest to use the end of a paperclip that I had flattened 1/4" with a hammer to pry the second locking tab from the connector-side. The wire should come out very easily.
-Thick heat shrink will not slip back into the connector easily. I had no problems with the thinner (probably less expensive) advertised as 3/32 heatshrink.
-Only uncrimp the one crimp. It's hard to uncrimp the other and they're somewhat delicate. Heatshrink alone may be adequate if you can't get it uncrimped or don't want to mess with it.
-Since it's a rather crappy crimp strip 1/4-1/2" of insulation off the ethernet cable to maximize your chance of a connection
-Zip tie the ethernet cable to the OBD cable ~3" from the connection for strength.

Risks:
-Eh, not much. worst that happens is you break a wire or OBD connector, and they're cheap & readily available used. By the time you spend the $5 you'll be a pro at depinning your old one:) (I practiced on one I picked up at the junkyard and didn't break any pins/wires/connectors, even with a ton of excessive force)

**forgot to add that you'll need whatever length of ethernet cable you want to use (duh!)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's the consensus from the Scubaru thread, which apparently got their info from Scangauge. I'm still getting used to it, but it's doing at least RPM, MPH, & coolant temperature (those are the only 3 gauges I've been closely monitoring). The ISO K / CAN pins handle all the data transfer (the former mostly for Japanese/American, the later for European *I think*)
**edit, I also used it to scan/read/clear codes; it read one code successfully so I assume it works. I haven't confirmed it with a more expensive reader, but no CEL etc.:thumbup:

I'm pretty pleased with the cable, I'm trying to decide whether to strip the CAT 6 insulation and cut the 5 extra wires, but it'll probably depend on where (if) I decide to mount it. My impressions of the Scangauge II are "meh". I don't know enough about it/its capabilities though. I had it lying around, and after seeing that I could make a DIY cable for practically nothing I had no more reason to avoid installing it.

Is there anything really cool about the Scangauge II (or even OBDC&C)? I haven't seen a summed up consensus given. From what I've gathered, you can set them up, I believe, to monitor lean burn, IAT, and other things. It's useful for me because it gave me peace of mind to do a 3/4 radiator block as I can monitor coolant temps.

Maybe for those with MIMA or other advanced control systems the information is more valuable. I (think) I do an alright job controlling/identifying lean burn without the SCII though:shrug: I have low expectations, but maybe it'll grow on me with use.

Is there something I'm missing? **(I just realized that I'm completely spoiled by having access to a shop with a code reader. That is a definite benefit/cost saving I was overlooking)

**Stock Insight pin-out; from Electric Troubleshooting PDF (from Insightcentral). I'm guessing pins 9 & 14 allow for advanced diagnostics/code reading/data gathering of the SRS, ABS, EPS, auto transmission, and MCM systems. Looks like one of the things the MCM does is to forward issues in the IMA system to the ECM/DLC. Hahaha pretty cool, 1 power, 2 grounds, 1 data link pin, and 2/3 miscellaneous, in such a "special" 16 pin connector. The things you learn. Maybe Peter/Eli etc. will chime in with how the OBDC&C connects, I assume it would take advantage of the other pin(s) since (I think?) it monitors some of the BCM info etc. -I haven't mustered the courage to read that thread yet:Laughing:

·
Administrator
11,167 Posts
The G1 Insight OBDIIC&C connects to the car via the K & H Line. Generic OBDII devices like the scangauge and a million other cheap clones only use the K Line and therefore are unable to access huge amounts of information. The cable is a small part of the issue. Even if you do connect via the H Line then you have to have a full understanding of the Honda protocol and codes / data being sent to achieve anything useful.

Which device you have is all down to personal choice and what you can afford.
I suggest you dip into the OBDIIC&C thread to see what it can do.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
-I assume you'll be able to use the OBD port with another OBD scanner without having to disconnect the Scangauge II
Unfortunately not with the first gen Insight's ISO 9141 protocol only one gauge at a time can be used.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
**Updates:
Scangauge II seems to function fine with just the 3 wires connected. Have been running it for ~1,000 miles, 15-20 hours. I don't think FPR is reading, and instantaneous MPG is wayy optimistic (~25 MPG high) but I haven't had time to work out bugs yet.

Personal Impression:
It's alright. Nice to have 4 gauges at once. RPM readout is a bit slow to be of use when shifting quickly. I didn't know the screen was RGB color adjustable so that's a nice function for multi-car compatibility. Mostly have been watching MPH, RPM, MPG, Temp.
MPH is within 1 of the instrument cluster. RPM within 2-300ish (instrument cluster isn't that easy to read at speed). Looked a bit at IAT and TPS, need to figure out a bit more about what those numbers mean in relation to mileage before I really focus on them. It's interesting to watch TPS change with hills, assist, drafting, etc. I can see how it may help with driving style once you start identifying patterns and adjusting.

retep- Which is the "H" line? The ability of you advanced guys to understand and engineer harmonious equipment (with prolonged support no less) never ceases to impress me. I really have been meaning to start.. but man it's going to be a long read:Laughing:

AbCa- Very good to know, thanks for the knowledge. Do you know if it's as simple as disconnecting the SCII via the ethernet cord when connecting another gauge to the OBDII port? And do you have any idea why the SCII has the ability to be daisy-chained?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
instantaneous MPG is wayy optimistic (~25 MPG high) but I haven't had time to work out bugs yet.
With the scan gauge II, because it doesn't account for IPU activity, you may wish to lower the entered in engine displacement number to perhaps 0.9L vs 1.0L to account for AutoStop, Fuel Cut, Lean Burn.

Nice to have 4 gauges at once.
Had one to start with and SGII is great. It's nicer yet though with 8 parameters including IMA on the obdiic&c gauge.
As you note, it's a great tool to amend driving style after identifying patterns. i.e. with TPS, keeping value below '32' would help maintain lean burn. If you run a front-end/radiator block, the IAT is a real good thing to monitor. Lean Burn is the OX2 iirc, and '0.00'=LB.

Do you know if it's as simple as disconnecting the SCII via the ethernet cord when connecting another gauge to the OBDII port?
As long as there's only one scan device connected to the first gen insight OBD port, then there will be no scan machine id conflicts, communication errors and/or corrupted data.
[fwiw: Other protocols permitting multiple gauges often use a Y-splitter cable, available online.]
here's a link below to your collected info of insightcentral knowledge as expressed in html format. Thanks for your entering the links into the posts in your threads on modifications and technical issues topics faq and info , and the problems and troubleshooting section!
MODS TECH ISSUES & PROBLEMS TROUBLESHOOTING
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1teMQnfk_HDzrV6n2AclAwzjXoivW7PSURNfZW18jdMA/pubhtml#

1 - 7 of 7 Posts