Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've been following this forum since I got my 2000 Citrus about a year ago and finally decided to ask more directly for your collective wisdom.

Background: My car is a Sept. 2000 MT A/C with 244k that I've owned since 220k. It was a single owner car for 16 years driven by an older lady, factory serviced, one IMA battery replacement (I think). The IMA started going out on her, the dealer price to replace was absurd, and she donated the car to a youth group. The youth group dumped it to a friend of mine with a dealer license so he can fix and flip cars, and he drove it for a couple of months until the IMA light and resets scared him into parking it. He left it parked the whole PNW winter of 2016-2017.

I approached him about buying it last spring, had to jump it for several days before it would start on its own. Scrubbed the interior, which had serious mold issues after sitting cold outside with the classic Insight roof leaks. After I decided it ran well enough, minus the looming battery issues, I "bought" the car--he gifted me the title under the condition that if/when I sell it, we split 50/50 any profit that doesn't cover the costs to fix/maintain it. I've driven it since with the weak battery, often 60-100 miles a day of mixed driving in the hilly Seattle area. I started out averaging about 58 mpg with the car until about August. It seems to me regularly using the car since having it parked acted something like a deep discharge of the battery, because I seemed to avoid major issues and the IMA light turned off.

Since about August, my mileage decreased fairly suddenly to about 48-50 mpg and then gradually to 43mpg, which I average today. I change my oil every 5,000-6,000 miles with Mobil1. I replaced the tires with a set of Potenza RE92 last fall and try to keep them at 40psi. I also bought a grid charger/discharger when my IMA light came back on in November, which hasn't noticeably improved my battery performance but did help coax the light off again. Over the last several months I've had the CEL go on and off for days at a time, seemingly randomly. I finally had the error codes read and I have a P1259, P0420, P0134, and P1447 (no surprise there).

My questions here are what should I be looking for to resolve these codes? I'm certainly new to the Insight world but I understand it from threads around here, P1259 could be a clogged VTEC solenoid, P0420 could be a bunch of CAT/O2 issues, P0134 could be flagged due to whatever is ailing P0420, and P1447 is just telling me some day I need to finally spring on a new IMA battery. Which are most likely to be affecting my mileage?

Thanks for your help, and happy to give other details as needed!

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
P0420 is cat efficiency. If it's progressed to clogging, that will rob you of power/mpg.

P1447 means your battery is ailing. It tends to get progressively worse. I would have expected your grid charge/discharge efforts to yield some results. Did you follow the HA process?

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Most if not all of your decline in mpg is probably due to seasonal temp change. Over the last 5 years or so of driving in the PNW, I've probably averaged something like a -10 mpg hit starting in September into the winter months. Check out this mpg graph. It's hard to get specific values from this, but you can probably spot how mpg declines during those months. Any non-decline is due to me trying to get better mpg by altering driving technique and/or from going from longer summer drives to shorter winter drives. In any event, it's much harder to keep mpg up in the winter in the PNW - minus 10 to 15 mpg feels about like it should be given the temp change, all else being equal...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts