Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cat stress crack

Has anybody had their front cat stress crack at manifold? I had dealer check the engine mounts while under warranty because both grounding straps broke & I thought mounts were worn. They said their were fine, but now cat broke at manifold.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi eyoung and welcome to the forums :!: :)

Your post was split out of the thread you originally posted because it more clearly stands on its own. Don't feel too shy to ask a question. But also spend a bit of time searching the recent threads for an answer before asking.

Nope I've not read of such a failure here. Welding should be a permanent repair option.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it to a few places to see if it could be welded, but I could not find anybody that thought it could be fixed. I took it to the dealer and they wanted $1825 to replace it.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,964 Posts
(Crack at mainfold?....confusing.)

How about a picture of the cat. showing the "stress crack."

Can't think why it can't be fixed.

Willie

·
Registered
61 Posts
One of ours cracked at the front of the cat. Dealer wanted to put in a new cat, (I think it would have been about $1500), but he suggested a muffler/welding shop down the street. They had me buy two new bolts from Honda parts for $10 and take them along with the car to the weld shop. Muffler guy charged $40 for a total repair cost of $50.
-John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts