Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

My 2000 Insight manual transmission has developed a failed input shaft ball bearing.It sounds like a spalled outer/inner race.Was only making noise in 1st gear under a load.Getting worst now,also 2nd gear now and pops out of 5th when no load is on it in over drive.After the bearing failure to reduce the noise i changed out the Honda MTL to a 100% synthetic Hypoid gear lube,noise was reduced substantial-with no diference in shift quality.

With hindsite should have had the synthetic hypoid oil in there all along,maybe the ball bearing would not have failed.

I have used the Honda MTL in SAAB manual transmission(transaxeles) with excellent results and shift qualities in those gearboxes that use a engine oil as the recommended lube in the transaxels.

Does anbody have any leeds on a used Insight manual transaxel??????

If so PLEASE post here,i have a leed to a unit in Maine.

Thanks Guy
Ronny

·
Registered
495 Posts
No joke ...

try JUNKYARDDOG

It's a website that'll get you seveal answers for specific parts - within one or two hours, if not minutes.

Hope this helps

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
This is a link to a huge database of parts from what appears to include most of the auto wreckers in North America.

http://car-part.com/

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Which synthetic Hypoid gear lube did you use? Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Valvoline,gear oil

To:Kip
The Gear Oil i used as a change from the Honda MTL,which provided less transaxel noise was Valvoline. IMHO if i had this product in the transaxel earlier it would have provided better lubrication and i would not now have a bearing failure as using the Honda MTL has caused.

To everyone else,your replies and help were very useful.

Thanks - Ronny J.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Honda MTF (manual transmission fluid) does not cause bearing failures because almost all manual transmission Hondas use Honda MTF exclusively and failures like you are describing are extremely rare. Most people from the HADA (honda acura drivers association) motorsports club I belong to, race their hondas on race tracks and use Honda MTF. Many have tried more expensive synthetic transmission fuilds but found that the Honda MTF shifts the best. Transmission failures in the Hondas that are raced is very rare, it's more common for people blow up engines.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,101 Posts
I agree with Guillermo, bearing failure is more than likely an abuse factor unless it shows signs of heat, that could be a lubrication cause.

It would be interesting to see a picture of the bearing.

211,000 on my transmission and no problems. Used Honda MTF on both 100,000 mile changes.

Willie

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boys,failure was not caused by abuse! Car has 94000 miles,LTFM-59,1 owner,1 driver-ME !
Honda's are not 100% bullitproof,neither are bearings.The input bearing on the main shaft has failed due to it being spalled,a fact!I know this,because of the way it failed, because of the way the noise developed over a 6 month period.

The use of a different lubrication oil in the transaxel - a Hypoid gear oil over the Honda MTL lube would have extended/prevented the bearing failure at this time/mileage. Fact! , Due to the additives added into a hypoid oil that meets a API GL5 specification.That's why there in the hypoid gear oil. BUT,shift quality could have been degraded by my use of the hypoid oil - it was not! That is why i posted the results,not to knock Honda or the vehicle.....

I will post pictures upon tare down. Still don't know if i will install a used transaxel,to keep car on road while i rebuilt the original transaxel. It will depend on the used one's after i inspect them.

Please don't be so quick to defend Honda!!! and add speculation to a valid post,enough said !!!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Your transmission failure could be caused by any one of a number of reasons. A manufacturing defect could have caused the premature failure or contamination during a tranmission fluid change, etc..
I was only saying that the Honda MTF would not be a direct cause of a bearing failure if it was changed as per mainteance schedule or more often if the car is driven very hard, used in very hot conditions, or in very dusty environments.

Sorry to hear you had bad luck with your transmission.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts