Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone knows what max power output characteristics look like for new or newish aftermarket packs, or of supposedly low mile or otherwise good stock packs -- across most of the usable charge state range?

For example, I just completed something like 2-3 dozen or so max assist events in my car, spanning a range of about 30% charge state, with only minimal regen events interspersed. I wasn't able to get full commanded assist output every time. I got maybe a few events at full output, but thereafter, at least without regen events, assist output would be throttled (Assist Limit Flag, ALF)...

So, for comparison, I'm wondering if even new packs can put out full assist over a relatively large charge state range, where full throttle max assist events are basically back-to-back.

Anyone ever try this?

·
Administrator
11,753 Posts
I think your scenario is so convoluted no one will have done anything similar and recorded any comparable data.

Basically newer younger packs put out more power for longer over a wider range than older weaker ones.
But you knew that.

The BCM and/or MCM has heating and ah V time etc components/variables built in.
So I expect it will throttle assist stuff a bit like it does with regen down big hills.

It also probably depends who is commanding the assist, ECM or IMAC&C etc?

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
hmm... How can I simplify? I guess I'm really just wondering whether new packs can put out full throttle full assist multiple times in a row without getting throttled (no Alf). So, like, can a new pack put out ~10kW ANY time you ask it to, even if you ask it to, say, 12 times in a row?

Maybe one of our die-hard members can try that out if no one has ever tried it before?...

Heretofore I've judged the performance of my pack basically on whether it can put out full assist a few times, or generally speaking. I've never really tried to do multiple (like more than maybe half a dozen) full assist events in a row. So doing that today and seeing that the pack gets throttled, I wonder if that's a symptom of being an old pack, or if even new ones can't do multiple full assists in a row without being throttled...

Even after the 2-3 dozen full assist events, my pack increased temp by only about 5 degrees F, so temp shouldn't come into play, not typically (with a decent or new pack)...

·
Administrator
11,753 Posts
I think I ought to clarify..

1) With IMAC&C P&P commanded assist I never see throttling unless the battery is too hot or it's exhausted.

2) With IMAC&C P&P commanded regen I do see throttling after long downhills irrespective of temp and soc.

Now with regen I can't remember if this is an OEM BCM introduced control.
I have looked for flags in the BATTSCI data stream before but not identified any.

I also can't remember if the BCM Replacer equipped cars are affected.
If they are when IMAC&C P&P is commanding the regen then the MCM is doing the throttling.

That's may or may not be helpful.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,757 Posts
If the pack output is being throttled, based upon temperature, this MAY have implications for different resistor values used in packs with the PTC strips bypassed. The PTC strips might NOT have been used for this, and it could just be the BCM thermistors providing this data, but if it was also looking at PTC circuit resistance, then we may want to bypass PTCs with a certain resistance calculated to be in the "average" temperature range. We know that the IMA assists a bit less when Bte is < 20°C, so maybe the PTC circuit needs to be targeted at, say, 25°C?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My query has nothing to do with temperature, if I regen-ed, for instance, I'd be able to get full assist again. It's purely about pack output.

Really, the simpler question is: Can new and/or aftermarket packs uphold greater than about 132V over a couple dozen 75-90 amp assist events in a row?

Now that I think about it, they probably do, as I remember an old Eli graph that showed the old Better Battery cells could uphold I think it was 80 amps across the whole charge state range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts