Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping for a grid charger/discharger setup. Can anyone with prior experience with these weigh in with opinions? Also if there might be other options I'd be interested in hearing.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Prolong much better set up, easy use and never hear of much failures. Don’t buy the cheap ones on eBay. If you have any ability to solder homemade ones can be built for 100.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Shopping for a grid charger/discharger setup. Can anyone with prior experience with these weigh in with opinions? Also if there might be other options I'd be interested in hearing.
I have the Prolong Value Reconditioning package as seen here:

I made some changes to the discharger setup to make it easier to change the load based on the recommendations without changing light bulbs out. I have been using it for the past 4 years to nurse my original 2003's IMA battery. I have gotten all the life out of it I reasonably can and decided to do a full IMA delete.

Send a PM with an offer if you are interested.

·
Registered
2006 5MT Insight w/ warm air intake, grid charger and more!
139 Posts
Even though the Maxx Volts doesn’t have discharging, if you’re only going to get the cheapest version of the Prolong you might as well get the Maxx Volts instead and save yourself the $170. My Maxx Volts has worked well for the 2 years i’ve owned it, and I don’t have any complaints!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
RB batteries has some inexpensive options...

Never used their chargers, but I bought their harness and it was of good build quality.

I built OlRowdy01’s homemade charger/discharger system for <$100. It works great...

The big difference between the homemade or low-cost chargers and the high-end systems is that the expensive ones monitor and automate the charge/discharge process. At the cheap end, you end up checking things every hour or two for days.

- Park

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked out the RB system. Looks to be similar to the Prolong system as it automates the discharge cycle, which is what I am looking for. I don't like that is has IMA fan "clips", which to me means the fan does not run through the harness connections. Maybe none of them do, but this is the first mention of clips. It's moot anyway because they are sold out of them. I'm leaning toward the Prolong system, I have a Maxx Volt grid charger that I obtained with the car, and I have been trying to get some info from that company on the capabilities of their discharger, but all I have been able to get is a brief description of the unit, no manual or anything I can read about it. It's like they don't want to sell me anything. So if I get the Prolong system I may have a Maxx Volts grid charger for sale. Also I have a complete second IMA with this car, which at some point was going to get into pulling modules and running tests and creating one solid balanced pack from the combination of the two, and I'm now thinking of getting a second harness to deep cycle that one out of the car.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't like that is has IMA fan "clips", which to me means the fan does not run through the harness connections.
The “clips” are electrical quick connectors for the harness to fan wires. The harness is designed to power the fan, so I assume their charger unit does so. Certainly on my homemade version the battery cooling fan is powered through the process.

- Park

·
Registered
33 Posts
Even though the Maxx Volts doesn’t have discharging, if you’re only going to get the cheapest version of the Prolong you might as well get the Maxx Volts instead and save yourself the $170. My Maxx Volts has worked well for the 2 years i’ve owned it, and I don’t have any complaints!

I run the same charger. They sell the pro discharger seperately, but only to existing users of their chargers. They looked up my purchase date and details on the charger and was able to buy the pro discharger once they verified I was an experienced user. I guess it makes sense due to liability of discharging high voltage DC electric. They want to know they are dealing with someone familiar with the wiring and charger thats not going to electrocute themselves. I read that Mike Dabrowski used to fedex over a liabilty contract for buyers to sign prior to selling their GenesisOne so I guess it kind of makes sense that they vet those who want a discharger.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I decided to purchase the Prolong system. It has the automated discharge functionality that I want to deep cycle the battery pack. I could not get specific info from Maxx-Volt as to how the discharge actually works. Also ordered a second cable so I can deep cycle the second pack that I have without removing and installing the wiring harness.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought my Maxx-Volt charger from ebay and so far I have no complaints.
I bought a Max-volt new for my blue 200k 2001 Gen1; it lasted 1 year for me until I sold that car to my son. I bought a silver Gen1 89k with a Genesis one. The Maxx burned to a crisp without damaging my son’s car after 3 months. I emailed Maxx and left messages, but they did not respond. Less than 18 months of life is not a good purchase.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I received this email from someone named Jeff the other day as I was contemplating which deep cycle system I would purchase:

FYI insightcentral forum is paid for by Prolong. They are a paying advertiser site sponsor that pays for the running cost of the forum. This is why their chinese plastic junk will be recommended there.

It’s not a free and fair place to find recommended products I’ve found because they only allow paying sponsors products to be mentioned. Prolong was booted from eBay due to missed ETAs, poor quality and complaints. They also weren’t selling anything but like one unit every few months. It’s public record.

Saw your post on the forum and thought I’d share some things you may not have been aware of. My friend got screwed by them in Australia when their discharger blew up out of the box twice.

Beware

image0.jpeg

I thought this a bit strange because I don't think there is any way Jeff could have obtained my email address from this forum, (at least I don't think so, please correct me if I'm wrong here), so I'm guessing it's a person from Maxx-Volts sending this to me. They had my email as I asked several times for some info on the operation of their discharger, to no avail. Then 03CVTGray posts the exact same Facebook message. I'm posting this reluctantly, but feel the need as it seems relevant to the discussion. I tried at least 3 times to obtain some info on the Maxx Volt discharger and frankly it felt as though whoever was answering (Jeff?) was angry that I would even ask. They just sent me a Shopify invoice to purchase it! It may well be the better discharger, but how's one to know? But they seem more energized in dissing someone else's product to sell theirs than actually selling the Maxx Volt advantages. Very poor business ethics in my opinion. I'll shut up now.

·
Administrator
12,226 Posts
I received this email from someone named Jeff the other day as I was contemplating which deep cycle system I would purchase:

FYI insightcentral forum is paid for by Prolong. They are a paying advertiser site sponsor that pays for the running cost of the forum. This is why their chinese plastic junk will be recommended there.

It’s not a free and fair place to find recommended products I’ve found because they only allow paying sponsors products to be mentioned.
1) Paying sponsors ads will appear in the banner ads etc on the forum.
That's the same for all of the AUTOFORUMS sites, or other things that rely on advertising for funding.
Use ad filtering if you don't want to see all that stuff. I never see any ads ;)

2) You can discuss almost anything on here, including personally recommended/tested products.
There is no blanket ban on mentioning any products etc you have found good or bad.

·
Super Moderator
8,456 Posts
image0.jpeg

I thought this a bit strange because I don't think there is any way Jeff could have obtained my email address from this forum, (at least I don't think so, please correct me if I'm wrong here), so I'm guessing it's a person from Maxx-Volts sending this to me. They had my email as I asked several times for some info on the operation of their discharger, to no avail. Then 03CVTGray posts the exact same Facebook message. I'm posting this reluctantly, but feel the need as it seems relevant to the discussion. I tried at least 3 times to obtain some info on the Maxx Volt discharger and frankly it felt as though whoever was answering (Jeff?) was angry that I would even ask. They just sent me a Shopify invoice to purchase it! It may well be the better discharger, but how's one to know? But they seem more energized in dissing someone else's product to sell theirs than actually selling the Maxx Volt advantages. Very poor business ethics in my opinion. I'll shut up now.
:D You get an A+ for detective work:D

03CVTGray seems a direct representative of MaxxVolts. He may in fact be the owner. We have dealt with this before, close to a couple of years ago, when he was using a different screen name "MaximumFuelage." It got so convoluted with his postings supporting MaxxVolts, and desparaging other grid charger suppliers that he was banned. A few months later the entity returned as a new member 03CVT. (Moderators can determine with a high level of certainty when an individual takes on dual memberships. In addition, posting styles, and behavioral patterns eventually emerge.)

It isn't that he promotes his product, several folks do that in a low key way, but they do not do it covertly - they are honest about it. In most cases these have been low volume products that the Gen1 community wants and needs.

I am reluctant to post this in the public forum, but at this point it seems important that the membership understand the marketing style of MaxxVolts.

Reactions: stomish

·
Registered
2006 5MT Insight w/ warm air intake, grid charger and more!
139 Posts
I have found that the Maxx Volts owner/operator at least on their eBay is standoffish/temperamental like that. The most recent time I went to grid charge, I had an issue with my Maxx Volts charger where when I plugged it into my harness the fan wasn’t getting power. I told them I suspected it was an internal issue, as when I pressed hard on the outside of the power supply I could briefly get the fan to turn on. He denied denied denied, saying that it had to be a user installation error, or that my harness was not installed properly. After taking matters into my own hands and cracking open the charger, I found this:

It appears the black fan wire became disconnected from the pin that attaches to the harness, meaning it wasn’t crimped/attached securely/properly. At this point, I already knew there was nothing Maxx Volts could do, as I am well outside the 6 month warranty period. I sent the picture over, told them I found the source of the problem, and that they should maybe look over how to attach the wires more securely if they haven’t already. They responded, telling me that I was using the charger wrong and forcing the harness into the port (which is entirely incorrect, a monkey could figure out how to plug the harness into the power supply correctly), and that “two years after manufacture, they are still making contact with the pin internally, as they run inside the pin itself and is not the cause of the issue”. It’s clear that it WAS the source of the issue, because after removing the pin and securing the wires inside, my IMA fan now turns on again once the power supply is plugged in. I’m not saying this to drag Maxx Volts through the mud, in fact I would still recommend them for someone looking to grid charge on a budget. Mine has served me pretty well for the 2 years i’ve owned it, and I would buy another one if needed. It is quite odd how that member that’s allegedly maxx volts emailed said prolong was “chinese junk”, when i’ve had questionable experiences with their own products.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts