Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda to sell new gas - electric hybrid next year

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Filed at 12:26 a.m. ET May 21, 2008

TOKYO (AP) -- Honda Motor Co. will sell a new, improved and affordable gas-electric hybrid in the U.S., Japan and Europe starting in early 2009, the company's president said Wednesday.

Takeo Fukui told reporters that ''green'' cars, especially hybrids, will be a pillar of Honda's strategy for the next three years, starting this fiscal year that began April 1.

He did not say what the price of the vehicle would be. But he said the new hybrid will be a five-door sedan seating five passengers, and it will feature new technology that reduces the size and weight of the hybrid system to increase fuel efficiency.

''Hybrids have drawn attention for their image, but time has come to go to the next step,'' he said, stressing that Honda was serious about selling hybrids in numbers.

Honda plans to sell 500,000 hybrids per year sometime after 2010, he said.

To expand hybrid sales, Honda will introduce a new sporty hybrid based on the CR-Z model, a Civic hybrid and a hybrid model of the Fit subcompact, which is sold as the Jazz in Europe, in addition to the new hybrid going on sale next year, Fukui said.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/busines ... Honda.html

·
Registered
143 Posts
Re: May 2008 announcment of new Honda hybrids

Price, price, price. I'm less interested in price and much more interested in the mileage. Can they get 60 mpg in a 5 seater?

·
Registered
495 Posts

Price, price, price. I'm less interested in price and much more interested in the mileage. Can they get 60 mpg in a 5 seater?
right now I'm not convinced that the auto makes are overly concerned about "pricing it right." Initially they'll be going for the same market that Apple went after regarding their well advertised cell phone; at the moment I forget what they call it. Those who bought those things were member of the so-called "prestige market" but something you might want to consider regarding a nice "5 seater" is the retro-fit market. Right now there has got to be at least half a dozen or more individulas and/or firms of worth, seriously looking at and/or developing retro-fit packages for SUVs and the like, packages that will be available (if not already) in a year or two - directly aimed at those who have a real need for those "5 seaters."

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
105 Posts

It's called "skimming" and it accounts, at least in part, for the stunning success of the Accord hybrid. Offer your most fuel-efficient vehicle in that model line in the highest trim level, and at the highest price, and the world will beat a path ...

·
Registered
330 Posts

tubesguy said:
It's called "skimming" and it accounts, at least in part, for the stunning success of the Accord hybrid. Offer your most fuel-efficient vehicle in that model line in the highest trim level, and at the highest price, and the world will beat a path ...
Go even bring up the Accord Hybrid.....that car was the biggest nightmare ever.....lived in the service bay longer than the driveway.......still have nightmares....even our dealerships hated those and did not want them back on their lot used!:(

·
Registered
42 Posts

I bet the additional model is a version of the Clarity sedan that is non-hydrogen fuel cell powered. Seems logical as they already have the tooling worked out...

·
Registered
702 Posts

i would love to see MPG numbers from the fit hybrid

my friend has a fit and its an amazing little car, but can it come even close to our insights numbers?

·
Registered
536 Posts

Nothing will be near the Insight purely because of the weight factor and adding seats with passengers will only make it worse.

DGate

·
Registered
129 Posts

Dgate said:
Nothing will be near the Insight purely because of the weight factor and adding seats with passengers will only make it worse.

DGate
Especially due to the high price of aluminum. I doubt an aluminum body car will be produced again, and if so how affordable will it really be? I've stopped throwing my aluminum cans in the recycling bin and take them to be recycled myself to cash in on 80 cents a pound. (Call me cheap, but it really adds up ;) )

·
Registered
42 Posts

Any opinions on how the new slate of Honda hybrids (especially the hybrid Fit) will affect future interest in the Insights?

I'd have to guess that the EPA MPG for the Fit would beat the hybrid Civic, putting the Fit somewhere up about 45/50 city/highway.

Hypermiling aside, that's practically pretty close to the Insight - only ~500 gallons more /200k miles driven.

It certainly doesn't degrade from the cool factor of the Insight - nor will the Fit come in a manual transmission - and they might even be a continuing source for reusable batteries for the Insights!

-Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts

japanev1 said:
I bet the additional model is a version of the Clarity sedan....they already have the tooling worked out...
Yep, you are right. See:

http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/news- ... s_id=17546

I wonder what this is: "Additionally, various technologies, including a function to assist more fuel-efficient driving, are being installed to achieve a further improvement of practical fuel efficiency, says the company"? Honda MIMA? Plug-in recharging?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Honda, Toyota, and all the rest of them are FOOLS. I see almost-dead insights (over 200,000 miles) going on Ebay for $20,000 or more. If Honda, Toyota, or somebody else released a 70 mpg car or better car, they would see like gangbusters. The demand is there, because people are tired of paying $100 at the pump. They want the highest-MPG car they can find.

If I was Honda's CEO, I'd re-release the insight in a steel-body version. It might only get 65mpg as a result, but it would still sell (just as it's selling on ebay), and my company would profit greatly.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Hi Troy. I think quite a few here agree with your sense of frustration. If the CRZ is close to what Honda has been working on it should sell well. Yes it will have a steel body and it will have 4 seats, something that others have suggested was a weak point in the Insight's design, but the Insight's military style layout for the IMA was just too big for rear seats. The Insight was a large scalle prototype run with terrific quality, but we all realised it would have to end. The Insight also would have needed side airbags to match the rest of the fleet and that would have been too much retooling for such a low production car. Add to that the skyrocketing price of aluminum and the fact that the Insight lasted longer without a model change than almost any other Hoda except perhaps the NSX and you get the present situation. Some folks wanted a quieter ride, and a steel body may accomplish that. The replacement for the Insight will likely be extremely popular although it will likely get mileage between that of the Insight and the Civic hybrid.

·
Registered
536 Posts
JimmyHiggins wrote....Price, price, price. I'm less interested in price and much more interested in the mileage. Can they get 60 mpg in a 5 seater?
The quick answer is NO ! Why? well we have a big diesel market in the UK and based on the larger Imperial gallon,five seater diesels just make these figures and they are on a par with the Prius over here.
A five seater hybrid consuming the US gallon would equal the US version of the Prius in mpg which is not in the 60s.

As far as the advantage of aluminum over steel for weight efficiency, I find it interesting there is a "four seat steel bodied" car parked next to my Insight that is 282 lbs lighter and capable of 58.9 mpg actual average or 68.9 extra urban.
Point being exotic materials are not always a prequisite for fuel efficiency gains.

DGate

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"Yes it will have a steel body and it will have 4 seats, something that others have suggested was a weak point in the Insight's design..."

Who? IMHO having just two seats is a strong point, simply because of all the excess sheet metal & stuff I don't have to carry around. Now of course it is sensible for Honda (or any automaker) to build high mpg 4/5 seat cars for those who need them, but all else being equal, the two-seater is always going to get better mpg. Since it seems people are starting to overcome their fixation on size, and consider smaller cars that get better mpg, why wouldn't you expect a significant fraction to realize how wasteful those extra seats are?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Re:

ElectricTroy said:
Honda, Toyota, and all the rest of them are FOOLS. I see almost-dead insights (over 200,000 miles) going on Ebay for $20,000 or more. If Honda, Toyota, or somebody else released a 70 mpg car or better car, they would see like gangbusters. The demand is there, because people are tired of paying $100 at the pump. They want the highest-MPG car they can find.

If I was Honda's CEO, I'd re-release the insight in a steel-body version. It might only get 65mpg as a result, but it would still sell (just as it's selling on ebay), and my company would profit greatly.
You may be exagerating a bit. I have seen Insights over 200,000 going for $6000 to $7000. I saw one recently with 9000 miles go for $25,000. I can't believe I could sell my 208,000 mile Insight for $6000. Unreal! But I do agree, Honda should re-release the Insight with a higher sticker price.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts