Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be moving to Hawaii and thinking of selling my 2000 MT. I absolutely love it but don't know if it's worth the hassle to ship and all that.

It runs perfectly and looks good too. I bought it in January. It has a rebuild title, previous owner says rear was repaired, but can't tell and I only have records from the small things I've done to it. New Bridgestones this month and new windshield last month. It's got 125,00 miles. Small scratch on driver door but other than that it's great.

My wife really needs an automatic anyways and we will look for one later.

Any ideas on what I should ask for it? Thanks.

·
7,259 Posts
Well, if the recent for sale threads are any indication, you should be able to get $10,000 out of it apparently, lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Eli,

Really struggling with selling it or not-love that little silver tear drop. I was getting 87.1 on the highway, ridiculous! My SUV driving friends hate me;)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Not sure where you're located (I'm assuming somewhere in the lower 48, and making an gut-feeling guess at west coast, California maybe?) but I bought my 2001 Canadian MT with 156,000km (96,000mi) on it a week ago for $6500CDN (currently $6700USD).

I think I actually paid a little on the high side of fair too. He was asking $8000. (Theres an identical 2001 about 100 mi away selling for $9900 w/62,000km, and a red 2000 about 50 mi the other way for $5900 w/89,000km) The $9900 one is at a stealership though.

·
7,259 Posts
Yep. I know I'll never be able to sell mine.

Heck, we want to add a 3rd Insight to our driveway. I need an 'experiment car', because I can't be hacking up our daily drivers.. lol.

The $10,000 figure was kinda a joke. I don't think people should be selling their 00 and 01's for that type of money.

But hey, I guess if people are willing to pay that much, then more power to you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The $10,000 figure was kinda a joke. I don't think people should be selling their 00 and 01's for that type of money.
It's funny that I had sent you a PM asking your opinion on the same thing but never heard back. I guess I'm a little hurt that you just mocked the exact price I put up.

2001 Honda Insight - Private Party Pricing Report - Kelley Blue Book

Well when the KBB value of your car is 8,350 and you have recently had the complete IMA system replaced along with a significant audio upgrade over stock sometimes you just have to pick a number and throw it out there. My hope when putting my car up was including the OBO (or best offer) to show that I was a reasonable person who was open to some negotiations because I really just wanted to sell my car, not retire.

The lower the price the quicker it will sell. Of course the market will take what the market will take. I'm actually in the process of detailing my car so I could take more pictures and get her perfect for whomever buys her. Ironically enough I had already decided to drop the price another $500 when I posted the pictures this weekend if nobody had made a concrete offer (or opened up negotiations on the price). It's a balancing act.....I want the car to sell but I don't want to give it away however I'm more willing to bend a bit for somebody who loves insights.

To keep it on topic the value KBB gives for your car is around $5100 but I'm not sure how a rebuild title factors into that or how your IMA is.

·
7,259 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean to mock you personally. I've just been thrown off by the prices I've seen around lately.

I have no problem with asking for KBB.

I just don't think tacking on an extra $2000 because something that is expected to work in the first place has been replaced. Is it worth something? Of course. But you never get your money out of repairs like that.

For example, we just sold my fiancee's 2001 Civic. We had the automatic transmission rebuilt last year to the tune of $2600. It only had 5,000 miles on the rebuild.

We listed it for $3500 and sold it for $3000. Do you think we should have listed it at $6100 because of the new transmission? :) I certainly don't think so.

I do apologize for not replying to your PM, I'm usually good about that. I must have read it and then got busy and forgot to reply(I post at work).

Edit: Oh, I see. Your PM was a reply to a PM I had sent you encouraging you to sell it on the forums. You thanked me for my input, I thought that was the end of it. I do apologize though.

I never meant any disrespect. My original comment in this thread was tongue in cheek.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've just been thrown off by the prices I've seen around lately.
(trying not to threadjack here, just sharing my experience thus far)

You know when I was trying to figure out what to ask for my car I was going through prices I've seen on here and yeah....I saw a few up even at 12k for cars with over 150k on them.

I personally took the KBB value, added in what I thought was fair for the whole new IMA and then also factored in the subwoofer (you don't want to know what I paid for it) and stereo system. Once I had that number I when with what I thought would be a good number to get talks going. Usually in my world when you put the OBO in the offer you say "hey I think i'm kinda close but let's see what you think".

Is the car worth 10k? It's not up to me to decide that (at least if I want to sell it) but it was a starting point. I personally hate people who price gouge or buy something that's hot (like a Wii or an Ipad 2) and then try to flip it on ebay for twice the price.

·
7,259 Posts
I don't think we're off topic at all; we're discussing the merits of Insight pricing.

For the record, after looking through the for sale forum again, it wasn't you that I had in mind when I made that comment. It's just the number I threw out. I was thinking of the 2000 Insight with 75k miles for 10k, which was the first "high priced" one that caught my attention.

I think opinions on this also depend on what side of the fence you're on. I'm more interested in buying Insights than I am selling them, so obviously I look for cheap while someone selling is looking to get the most they can.

I did conceed that if the market is willing to pay 10k, then I really can't fault anyone for that. I do find it a little insane, though.

I bought Insight #1 for 8.5k with 86k miles in 2007......

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
I'm selling my Canadian 2000 for $8500 which seems about right.The 2000 for $5900 that racer26 mentions I actually took a look at. It's worn out. I'ts been left outside its entire life and the only place the paint hasn't faded is where the fire department stickers were.

·
7,259 Posts
Cosmetic issues don't bother me.

Insight #2 is by no means perfect cosmetically, which is definitely part of why it was $2500. But like I said, I don't care. A car is a tool, it's going to get dinged, dented, scratched, faded, worn, and used - especially with 443,000 miles. It gives character. ;)

·
Registered
811 Posts
I think at some point gen 1 Insight will stop being a car and will become a kind of collector's item.

It has features like no other car in the marked an cannot be substituted for " similar" goods.

Now this is not an overnight process. It began in 2006 when there were no more new insights available to buy. and it will complete once every car is owned by "a collector "
Right now we are in the middle : there are a lot of collectors on the market, but also there are people who do not care about the uniqueness of the insight, so in a purchase deal both parties do not act or feel the same.

In some deals the seller is just a guy trying to get rid of an old car. As he perceives the insight as a year 2000 used car he may think that 4k is a very good deal as other cars from the same year that wore similar price tags when they were new are selling in 2011 for under 2k.

In other situation a "collector" is trying to sell to "non-collector" (using the word "collector" to describe a person that is already in love with the car for its eco performance, engineering, aluminum body, forward looking ideas and etc.)
That is a funny situation as the buyer is comparing the insight's price tag to all other used 10 year old cars on the market....

And finally comes the interesting part when people on both sides of the deal are collectors then the price may shoot up to unexpected (or should I say expected) heights...

So right now any price is possible. (anything between 3.5k to 12k )

Of course there is a difference in the roots of the "love" every Gen ! owner has for their insight. Looking into my own considerations I probably love my insight mostly for the money it saves me each day.

If one day I get into an accident I probably will not be trying to fix it if there is some serious damage to the frame, and instead will go for a CR-Z or a Chevy Spark (expected 57 mpg) .... or may try to get a beat up insight with a good body for a decent price to be ready if something happens to my present one...

·
Registered
8 Posts
2004 CVT 121k

bought mine one month ago at Honda dealer. they were initally asking 8900;m offered and purchased for 7400. I think I could have gotten it for a little less, but it was in great shape, the color I wanted(blue), and they're are not many in the Nashville area.
Love it. getting around 54mpg, 100 miles per day.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,777 Posts
Your "location" in your profile or signature....Please.

Willie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts