Honda Insight Forum banner

MCM 1K000-PHM-060 reverse ingenering project

3537 39
I started a reverse engineering project on the MCM
My version is 1K000-PHM-305 and inside it is witen 1K000-PHM-060
Here is what i found here on Insightcentral

To your knowledge, is there any other part of the schematic that has already been done?

This PCB as at least 3 layers and the traces are very difficult to follow so the project will take long

I know some people have thought about the idea of one day creating a LIMCM. maybe it would be easier having the MCM schematic to make firmware for the PCBs we already have instead of making a circuit from scratch.
Unfortunately I am not the person able to code on a hitachi microcontroller, do we have a programmer who knows these microcontrollers here on insightcentral?

Edited January 26, 2023

I added the G1 Honda Insight IMA Bay Wiring Pinout.pdf file, it is a file that must be renamed to .XLS it is a document made by @mudder and that I added a line and 3 columns to serve as a legend for each input output. this Document allows you to know on which page of my plan to look for the pin you are looking for. a column indicates the type (analog, in, out, in/out) it also indicates when it's an output, whether it can force to GND or VCC and across which resistor when so.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Linsight Designer
4,718 Posts
Here's the complete pinout. That'll be useful as you probe.

Unfortunately we've looked long and hard for information on the microcontroller, but have never found anything.

I'm not certain how much information from the OEM MCM is necessary for an LiMCM adaptation... in fact, back in 2016 I made a drop-in replacement PCB that fit in the OEM MCM enclosure. That product was never released.

One use for an MCM schematic is for continued hacking without replacing that PCB.

· Administrator
14,251 Posts
Good luck. :eek:

The MCM Hitachi H8/538 controller datasheet is available on here.
Some old links/threads below with quite a bit of relevant data inc datasheets.
Searching for Hitachi H8/538 etc will bring up what other info there is.
I spoke to Hitachi about these chips some years ago, even then they said basically everyone who worked with them was either retired or dead!

· Administrator
14,251 Posts

· Registered
insight 2006 MT insight 2005 MT
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It's time for an update
I added my plan as well as my component identification page in my first post.

I know it's very far from being finished, this work is enormously more difficult than I thought. the traces spend their time changing sides and passing through a hidden layer.

I haven't found where to measure the high voltage yet.
With the Hitachi H8/538 controller datasheet I see a difference with what had been found by other users before.
I still don't understand why the ADC Supply is where I expected to have an ADC input.
By measuring D39 in circuit I measure what seems to be a 3V zener but after having removed D39 for identification I realize that this zener is elsewhere in the circuit and I have not yet found it

To have chance to succeed in the project I would really need another circuit to remove the components and follow the path below.

Does anyone here have a faulty MCM that could be disassembled for this project?

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one that I have come from him ;)
before buying a functional one to take it apart definitively, I hope to find a faulty one that no one will miss.
Thank you for your idea rhall is really a good person to know

· Linsight Designer
4,718 Posts
I posted the HVDC portion of the MCM schematic somewhere in this thread:

· Linsight Designer
4,718 Posts
@mudder I recall this thread and your reversing of the circuit to determine how it was doing voltage measurement. Did you note how the car was detecting whether the HV pack remained isolated from the LV system?
Yes, it switches an engine-ground-referenced current source alternatively into HVDC+ & HVDC-, then measures the resulting voltage. It then calculates the insulation resistance between the HVDC bus and engine ground.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I posted an update.
the phase current reading has been added to the plan as well as the ADC VREF
@mudder do you remember if you have a more detailed plan than this? Spoofing IMA Battery Voltage on MCM Connector 'E'
As several resistors are different between my version and the one you have studied, I wonder if R320 (2.2K) on my plan at the bottom left would be the 5K on your plan that goes to the ADC? or if the 5K on your plan joins R320 somewhere.

· Linsight Designer
4,718 Posts
Great, you found it! It's possible the resistor values changed between versions (I inspected a 1K000-PHM-070 unit). Another possibility is that I made mistakes; I yield to your exhaustive (and destructive) MCM analysis.

I do have more notes in a notebook, but not in any presentable format. It'll probably be easier for you to just continue reverse engineering, and then compare your results to mine (at the link you found).

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I updated the schematic

I finally found where the high voltage is read, it's in the middle of page 1
I wanted to start the reverse engineering by doing the plan of all the analog inputs, I only have 2 pins left to check, but they are not necessarily analog.
I just added 2 inputs to page 3 which I thought were analog and which are probably set as a digital input
I added pin C1 (ENGTRQ) and C2 (CMDPWR) is there a document that explains the function of all the pins of the MCM?

@mudder in Complete IMA schematic-GENERAL_OVERVIEW.png I noticed that the W phase Motor Current Sensor is drawn pin 1-3-2 while the V and U phase are drawn 1-2-3
I tried to find plans that indicate the pin-out of these hall effect sensor, but I couldn't find anything.
Personally, all the Hall effect sensors that I use work with 3 pins and the output is always the middle pin.
How are those of honda ? in the middle like on your drawing of phase W or like phase V and U ?

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I updated the schematic

I added a multiplexed analog input page including
A23 J/C C508 (gnd)
A9 J/C C507 (on||Start)
C12 MAMODE 1
Output A21 HV Relay and the circuit that analyzes the HV relay for open or short.

Can someone tell me pin C2 CMD PWR (rergen <50, Assist >50%) how it works is that by the PWM we control the level of assistance-Regen or this input can be controlled by sending it a 0 or 1 and it is it's only to choose if we want regen or assistance ?

· Administrator
14,251 Posts
From my old notes. Analog signals are all 5V logic.

CMDPWR 2khz PWM
MAMODE1 20khz PWM
MAMODE2 Logic Hi/Lo

'* IMAC&C Notes ****

'The Insight ECM sends CMDPWR 2khz 50% duty cycle pulses to the MCM to tell
'it to assist(>50% duty) or charge(<50% duty cycle)

'The ECM also pulls the MAMODE 2 signal low when in the assist mode, and it
'is high when in the regen mode.

'The ECM replaces the 20KHZ 50% duty cycle MAMODE 1 signal with a 20KHZ 25%
'duty cycle signal when assist is desired.

'The ECM replaces the 20KHZ 50% duty cycle MAMODE 1 signal with a 20KHZ 35%
'duty cycle signal when regen is desired.

'If Sinking the MCM pull ups into pics then 90% duty pwm = 90% duty

'Standby Mode = CmdPwr 50% MaMode1 50% MaMode2 High
'Assist Mode = CmdPwr 51-90% Mamode1 25% MaMode2 Low
'Regen Mode = CmdPwr 49-10% MaMode1 35% MaMode2 High
'Start Mode = CmdPwr 50% MaMode1 85% MaMode2 Low

'The DC-DC converter can be controlled with the MAMOD1 or MAMOD2.

'15% duty shuts the DC-DC off. Any other duty enables it.
'If MAMOD2 is pulled low, the DC-DC turns on regardless of duty on MAMOD1.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts