Honda Insight Forum banner

MCM 1K000-PHM-060 reverse ingenering project

3858 Views 41 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  mudder
I started a reverse engineering project on the MCM
My version is 1K000-PHM-305 and inside it is witen 1K000-PHM-060
Here is what i found here on Insightcentral

To your knowledge, is there any other part of the schematic that has already been done?

This PCB as at least 3 layers and the traces are very difficult to follow so the project will take long

I know some people have thought about the idea of one day creating a LIMCM. maybe it would be easier having the MCM schematic to make firmware for the PCBs we already have instead of making a circuit from scratch.
Unfortunately I am not the person able to code on a hitachi microcontroller, do we have a programmer who knows these microcontrollers here on insightcentral?

Edited January 26, 2023

I added the G1 Honda Insight IMA Bay Wiring Pinout.pdf file, it is a file that must be renamed to .XLS it is a document made by @mudder and that I added a line and 3 columns to serve as a legend for each input output. this Document allows you to know on which page of my plan to look for the pin you are looking for. a column indicates the type (analog, in, out, in/out) it also indicates when it's an output, whether it can force to GND or VCC and across which resistor when so.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Registered
2,358 Posts
@eprom

For updating your schematic:

I removed C42 from a 1k000-phm-070 and it measured 495 pF in my capacitor meter which makes me think it is a 470 pF part. I was wondering if, in the schematic, this was smoothing the current inputs but instead it looks like it's just for emi reduction (unless I toasted the part while removing it).

C42, C43 and C44 are probably the same.

· Registered
94 Posts
Since this thread asks a lot of questions about the H8/538F MCU, I wanted to share reflashing details I've collected from the VR-4 modding folks; the VR-4's ECU is based on the H8/539F.

Looks like most VR-4 modders rely on a few things we don't have:
  • OpenPort 2.0 (OBD2 provides a serial connection to the processor for debugging.)
  • EcuFlash (unless someone wants to buy that. Oh, wait, they only support H8/539F ...)
  • A flashing kernel for the H8/538F (one exists for the H8/539F, but that has twice the RAM, and I'm unable to find source code for the OpenECU Mitsubishi H8/539F flashing kernel)

What we do have:
  • A strategy to dump ROM without a kernel
  • Hardware feature documentation (see H8_538F_HWM.PDF attached to the linked post)
  • A direct description of what is done to put the H8/539F into reset mode (https://www.clubvr4.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-80688.html, from "Pin 1 on the Mitsi 12-pin reflash connector ..." onwards)

· Registered
insight 2006 MT insight 2005 MT
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I just made an update taking into account sean info, I don't know how, but I had missed your post @*sean*
I hope to continue this project and my others in one or two months, for the moment I have no more time for that

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I've been working on the C6-UL pin of the MCM and I'm having trouble identifying transistor Q23 it's a SOT-89 and it witten IL OZ, I believe it's a PNP.
I can't find anything on this transistor but I think it is the complement of Q26 which is also an SOT-89 it is a NPN and it witten OK OZ on it.
here is what the circuit drawing would be for pin C6 if is correct, but I'm not sure.
Does anyone have a drawing of the circuit that connects to C6 that could confirm or invalidate my following diagram ?

Rectangle Gesture Font Handwriting Parallel

· Premium Member
466 Posts
Hi @eprom,

I know I'm way over my head here...

The 2000-2006 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual shows only one "C6" in the IMA system (at least that I could find..). Here is a picture of that page. I suspect this may not be what you are looking for, but on the off chance that it helps, here you go. Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Engineering

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
new update
I added

C7 - UH

I work on METSCI1 and METSCI2 I will have to check the continuity between the output of the LTC1487 pin 1 and all pads of all components to find where the signal is going, at first sight this signal is not going anywhere which seems unlikely to me

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
From the draft MCM schematics attached to this post, it looks like the MCM can transmit on the METSCI BUS but cannot receive.
And it seems that on BATSCI, the MCM can receive, but not transmit.

Does that make sense to someone familiar with communication on these channels?
@mudder @retepsnikrep ?

Attachments

· Linsight Designer
4,812 Posts
From the draft MCM schematics attached to this post, it looks like the MCM can transmit on the METSCI BUS but cannot receive.
And it seems that on BATSCI, the MCM can receive, but not transmit.

Does that make sense to someone familiar with communication on these channels?
@mudder @retepsnikrep ?
Yes, that is correct. Note that some data the MCM transmits on METSCI actually ends up being retransmitted back to the MCM on BATTSCI.

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
thank you John and Peter for your confirmation.
I am very surprised to see that this comuniquation is not two-way but such are the thing.

new update
I added

C17 - VL
C18 - VH
I currently have 4 others in/out drafts, I am waiting to make plans for two other PINs to place everything more clearly. I expect there will be another update in 2 weeks.

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
new update
I added

C9 - Metsci2
C10 - Metsci1
C21 - Batsci2
C22 - Batsci1
C20 - LTBLU (H-line Circuit)

the circuit that Honda used for the (H-Line on page 8) is much more complex than what I have seen befor.
It is bigger than what is needed to work but it deserves to be looked at, I find it very interesting.

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I finished the Analog and the Input-Output 😊

Second update today.

I have added details on the source of optocoupler switching signals on page 1.

I added the G1 Honda Insight IMA Bay Wiring Pinout.pdf file in the first post.
This is a file that must be renamed to .XLS.
This document made by @mudder which I added a line and 3 columns to serve as a legend for each input output.
This Document allows you to know on which page of my plan to look for the pin you are looking for.
A column indicates the type (analog, in, out, in/out) it also indicates when it's an output, whether it can force to GND or VCC and across which resistor when so.

There remains about 30% of components that are not in the plans. I don't know if I will continue the plans, but I'm Curious to know what it is, so there may be other updates later

· Registered
2,358 Posts
I appreciate you working out the high voltage pack input in particular. I was not relishing creating the appropriate high voltage signal at that input for my LTO conversion. I plan to feed the MCM's ADC the appropriate low voltage equivalent directly. I have a feeling that this input also monitors whether or not the pack remains isolated from the chassis or 12V, which is another function I wish to maintain for my LTO conversion.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts