Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Forum,

Hopefully someone on here can give me some good advice.

I drive a honda insight 2001, approx 68,000 miles. A few nights ago while driving the check (engine) light and the IMA light came on at once.

* I had my IMA system replaced when I as living in WA circa 2007 * so I knew it was under warranty.

Thus I took it to the dealer, the charged me $125 just to read the codes and "diagnose" the ordeal. (I now live in CA, going to grad school)

My tech said they did a "software update" which I WAS under recall for, but the codes were basically

IMA P1600
and P1576 ... motor drive module voltage problem.

So, he says they need to replace the MCM for $1016, including labor.

He claims the MCM only has a 8 year or 80,000 warranty on it- and claims to have called Honda, that I don't qualify for any warranty etc.

Question 1> should my MCM have been replaced with they redid my IMA system in WA?

Question 2> I can I buy a refurbished or cheaper MCM online somewhere and have Honda or another car repair place put this in?

Does anyone have some experience in this area? Thanks forum. <3 Amar

·
Administrator
11,739 Posts
It could just be a glitch and go away never to return. Clear the code yourself by disconecting the 12v battery lead for a minute. Then see if the code comes back in a reasonable period. I believe autozone read codes free in the US.

Search on here for those code numbers and see what others had to say.

If you def need a new MCM then get one from a scrapyard for $50. Once you are inside the IMA compartment then it's 4 bolts and 5 connectors to replace it. Easy.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yep, easy to replace yourself, and inexpensive to buy used, if you even need to.

The moral of the story is, don't go to the dealer for a check engine light. Take it to the auto parts store and have the codes read for free, then look the codes up on the internet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the saga continues

Hi Forum,

This is what I learned so far...

based on service bulletin 06-057 Honda should replace the IMA, including BCM, AND MCM. (10 years, 150,000)

I found out my dealer in WA did preform this (in Jan 2007, I had my IMA BCM and MCM replaced by my WA dealer). Supposedly the MCM on its own only has a warranty of 12 months or 12000.

Called Honda and talked to service manager. He claims that the IMA system code says to replace MCM and not necessarily the whole thing - here in lies the gray area - there is just an IMA error code and it doesn't say to replace IMA - is there a good link where I can read these codes myself?

I read on the forum that Honda dealers didn't want to touch the IMA error codes and usually replaced the whole system since its still under warranty and also- something about a 3000 penalty from Honda if the dealer did perform it wrong) has any heard this? seems like my dealer is saying error.
has anyone had their MCM replaced before IMA under warranty?

I spoke to American Honda and they said they are having a case manager "look into it" and I should get a call back "within 48 hours" or by "next Tuesday" (hmm 4 days but w/e).

Thanks for the advice retepsnikrep. Where can I get diagrams on how to replace my own MCM? I've never gotten into the IMA before.

Yeah RobertSmalls, I should have known better! I read to do that online... I just thought it'd be covered since the IMA light was on. I''d didn't know certain codes weren't covered for this. Does anyone have a machine you use at home?

What codes mean the IMA system HAS to be replaced?

I keep hearing the the MCM itself has only warranty for 8 years or 80,000 - which seems to conflict with the idea that its covered under IMA replacement.

Any answers to these questions would be great.....

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just bought a 2000 Insight that needed to have a battery replaced. I got the error code P1449 and my dealer said the battery and BCM were under warranty but the MCM is not. I cannot for the life of me find where the MCM is not covered under warranty.

The Paper they gave that they claim its not under warranty was a service bulletin dated for this year 2010 but it was a revised version of the one dated before the warranty extension. The only thing it updated was the time it took to do the work to replace the battery. And on this revision it says the 8/80 warranty applies to all IMA components or something like that.

So I dont know why they just did not deny me warranty on the whole thing. I did get them to replace just the battery because I did not want the BCM and MCM replaced and with a P1449 the battery is the only thing that need to be replaced from what I understand. I did not want to make a big fuss over it because I would have just replace the BCM and MCM with an older version anyway.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I did not want to make a big fuss over it because I would have just replace the BCM and MCM with an older version anyway.
Why would you chose to replace with an older version?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Why would you chose to replace with an older version?
From what I understand the older version of the BCM and MCM allowed for more sustained assist which can be an advantage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
find bullentin 06-057 .

Its listed in detail under other forum discussions if you search for it.

It CLEARLY states to have the IMA BCM MCM replaced. and they should do this because the old BCMs and MCMs on the 00-01 stress out the battery sometimes by "overcharging" according to what I read on other forums.

If they refuse to do the service for you under warranty you should get a letter in writing of refusal of service to fix BCM and MCM and take it to a lawyer.

Also, just call america honda and have them start a case for you. they should be easily able to tell the dealer whats up, sometimes they DONT read ALL the bullentin and thus confusion ensues.

How many miles is on your vechile?

Good luck!

·
Registered
194 Posts
My car is 126K and put into service 01/2001. I'm not worried about damaging the battery. The original battery lasted about 10 years so I would expect about the same from the replacement with the old BCM and MCM. No big deal for me. My plan is if the engine and maybe even the battery ever goes in the Insight I want to turn it into an EV.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
OK, we have two opposite opinions on the MCM and BCM. One for the Old one and one for the New one. I happen to have an old set and a new set. I am presently using the new set, but if there is an advantage to the old set then I may put it in. "Overcharging", unless it means over heating, we have found out, may be GOOD, not bad.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well over charging leads to overheating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
EV? no IMA?

My plan is if the engine and maybe even the battery ever goes in the Insight I want to turn it into an EV.
What's an EV?

Right now my car is running on its fuel system only, until I get the MCM replaced I guess.

Do other people run their Insight on Fuel only?

I think the AC is also not working since the IMA stopped... are these two related?

Thanks forum!

·
Registered
194 Posts
EV = Electric Vehicle

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Well over charging leads to overheating.
Not an equation. Yes, it CAN lead to overheating, but it doesnt HAVE to. If you continue charging at 350ma and have a fan on, you can do that indefinitely without overheating. In fact this is what you have to do to bring up weak sticks unless you charge them separately. If you have a weak cell in a single stick, again the same applies.

If the Old MCM BCM set overcharges, BUT does it while watching the temperatures, that MAY be an advantage over the newer firmware.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts