passenger-front tire (with a loud thunk). I returned to the nearest
parking spot, got out, and took a look.

The wheel is now rubbing against the backside of the wheel well. SO
needless to say, I carefully parked it in a more appropriate spot, and
we took my g/f's Jeep to breakfast.

My question:
I'm going to have AAA tow it just in case (using hte hook in front or
a flatbed right?), but where? Honda Dealer? Body Shop? I just need to
know who to contact. Any help is appreciated, and quick.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'd say call Honda. Body shops might be cheaper but the aluminum in the Insight is not a job for people who don't know what they're doing. Not to say that Honda will either but if they screw up, they have to fix it. If you only hit at 10 mph, there shouldn't be much damage, hopefully it's just a trim piece that got knocked awkwardly.

What's the damage look like? You say it hit the passenger wheel. Did it damage the wheel or trim?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It did no body dmg... it literally shifted the wheel 'back' against the rear part of the wheel well.

THe car drives with rubbing, so the axle isn't dmg'd, but I don't know enough about the schematics on that part of the car to say what is actually dmg'd to cause the wheel to be basically an inch or 2 off center and rubbing the back of the wheel well.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
suspension is bent if not broken.
Expect it to cost $500 to $1000 or even more....
Advice:
A) get winter tires, they do make a huge difference.
B) take an advanced winter car control school, you will be amazed how much you will learn.

Making the small investments suggested easily greatly reduces the chances of: spending hundreds or thousands of dollars in damages, insurance hikes, and reduces the chances of injuries and even death.

Most people haven't crashed yet out of shear luck!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,960 Posts
Sorry about your demise Andy. I would definately have it towed (On a flat bed) to the Honda dealer.

Maybe I'll hit Denver next year if you are still there. (On my yearly trip to Fla.)
Snow is a lot different than those Fla. rains. (Redo your profile)

PM me when you get a chance.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I agree with the others here: it sounds like the suspension is bent. Have it towed on a flatbed to the Honda dealer.

I would not have it towed behind the truck; the Insight has a low ground clearance and tow truck drivers don't care how big the potholes or curbs are that they drive through. If you do, you may end up with the rear suspension damage also.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Ucffool:

___I am sorry to hear this … Might you consider taking it to a body shop that has worked on or specializes in Aluminum body and framework equipped automobiles first? Your local Honda dealer might be able to order and replace parts but I can bet they have absolutely no experience with Aluminum suspension other then direct HW replacements if that? Does any local Honda dealer near you have a body shop side of the fence? That would be my second choice vs. just taking it into any Honda dealer.

___To go along with this. If it is a straight up replacement of parts, depending on the body shop, they might actually be cheaper then the Honda dealer. Given the description however, it sounds like there is going to be some straightening of suspension and frame involved and a HQ body shop should be able to fix it vs. the local Honda dealer who will probably have it towed for a second time at your expense to one of their own body shop choices and that may not be in your best interest?

___As far as the accident itself, was it a heavy snow covering, black ice under a lighter snow, or just a light snow on recently re-sealed blacktop? In other words, did you apartment complex have their pavement re-sealed this past summer or fall? I absolutely hate plowing drives that have recently been resealed as they are slicker then ice in many cases. Hard pack comes off a lot easier but it isn’t worth the anxiety of driving into someone’s garage through their garage door or into their back yard because I couldn’t stop ;) I haven’t yet but I always check on that first snowfall and when I encounter it, I am very very cautious given how slick these drives can actually be.

___Good Luck with the fix no matter where you eventually take her.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:24cgbdzk][email protected][/email:24cgbdzk]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dealer I'm bringing it to has a body shop with it... yes it may cost a bit more, but they are suppose to be very familiar with the Insight, and since I'm only a 4 month resident of this state, I'll have to go with it. :)

It had rained Sat. then temps dropped very quickly and it all froze, and then snowed throughout the night and throughout sunday... Nothing was plowed that sunday in my complex so it was a fresh pack on top of iced roads. It never seemed this bad last time it snowed, but this was a crazy storm with aweful timing making it very dangerous... and the sun never came out to clear the roads (it is very strong here in the mile high city).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts