Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: Ooops, sorry I posted in wrong forum. moderator, can you move it to problems and troubleshooting? Thanks

I have a 2000 insight with around 188k miles on it that's recently developed some noise whenever I go over rough terrain or those parking lot speed bumps. The noise sounds like metal flexing or popping and it's mostly coming from near the front passenger side suspension system. Happens both during cold and hot weather. It also seems to come from around the doors. Is this a possible sign of metal fatigue or maybe just some loose bolts? Anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The sound could be caused by the rubber grommets that support the front suspension lower control arms where they attach to the body. This thread discusses the problem and the fix. My car had this scrunching noise, but after lubricating the rubber grommets with silicone grease, the scrunching hasn't returned in over a year.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Art. That does sound like what it is based on the other thread. Not sure I know the 3 bolts I need to remove though since all the image links are broken. I'll try the lube and report back!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Not sure I know the 3 bolts I need to remove though since all the image links are broken.
I decided to try stuffing silicone grease up into the grommet with my finger first. That solved the problem without my removing the three bolts.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I tried the silicon spray and the buckling, popping noise is still there. I'm going to try stuffing silicone grease up the grommet like Art suggested. Hopefully it'll fix the issue.

In case others are having trouble (as I did) trying to figure out which part to remove, I think these are the bolts. Someone can probably confirm. You can see from the photo the silicone spray dripping a bit from where I sprayed the rubber grommet.

I decided to try stuffing silicone grease up into the grommet with my finger first. That solved the problem without my removing the three bolts.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Be careful putting silicone spray/grease anywhere near the engine compartment... it's a well-known murderer of oxygen sensors. I'd use white lithium or just cram some plain old grease in there.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I wouldnt recommend either white lithium grease or regular grease on a rubber bushing both will cause rubber to soften up and disintigrate very rapidly only use a silicon based grease on bushings. the chances of it fouling an O2 sensor is slim as it has to contaminate the actual sensor probe any on outside will not damage sensor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts