Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fieldmice again. This is from an Insight that had a mouse nest on top of the battery. The mouse chewed through the battery temperature thermistor cables. This caused a P1576 error simply because the cables were damaged. An expensive repair (labor) that didn't need to happen.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Fieldmice again. This is from an Insight that had a mouse nest on top of the battery. The mouse chewed through the battery temperature thermistor cables. This caused a P1576 error simply because the cables were damaged. An expensive repair (labor) that didn't need to happen.

But how do mice get in and how do we keep them out?
I had mice in my air filter box, & the filter kept them out of the intake manfold...believe it or not!

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
A year + ago, I started to smell gas when I was in my Insight, it would sort of go away the faster I drove. Then I noticed that the fuel gauge was dropping faster than normal. I took it to my dealer - there was a nest of mice above the fuel tank, and they had gnawed thru one of the rubber connectors from the tank to the fuel line. $300 to repair, the part cost was about $2.50...

I have a F-250 and the mice/packrats have caused over $1000 worth of wiring damage. I've used mothballs, anti rat spray, capfuls of coolant (poison) in the engine bay, poison rat bait and rattraps. The only thing that seems to be effective is a light under the vehicle since they don't like light and to open the hood so that there is an air flow.

I've been told that they chew on wires to get the salts that are in the PVC covering.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Had a mouse in my Mazda years ago -- it nested in the glove box, on top of the engine, somewhere in the climate control system. I'd turn on the heat and puffs of shredded kleenex would come out!

One night I accidentally left a bag of catfood in the trunk - the next morning I found pieces of it everywhere, as the buggar had been frantically trying to stash it.

The story ended suddenly, one morning, when I turned on the heater fan and a terrible clunking resulted. Ironically, the mouse was killed in the "squirrel cage" fan!

[lol - after posting this response, the targeted marketing ad at the top turned into a Terminix ad!]

·
Registered
16 Posts
In regards to the mouse problem...get a product called fresh cab. Living in nebraska we have lots of rodents because of the corn and other crops in the field. Just put a bag of this or two in the car and the rodents will stay away.

Andy

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,713 Posts
Keep your hood open about 6" (Short piece of a 2x4 works) to keep them from the engine area. Close the windows all the way.........They only need about 1/4 in to squeeze through.
(That cured my problems with the mice)
HTH
Willie

·
7,188 Posts
I found a mouse nest next to the IPU when I installed MIMA. Thankfully they hadn't chewed any wires. I think it was old.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I found around 4 dead mice in mine, with about 2 ft of random junk combined with dead mice on the right side of the battery, and a dead mouse and more junk on the left side. it's insane how much carnage my insight had inside it. It took me a good few hours to clean out the mess they left.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts