• Either

Votes: 3 30.0%
21 - 40 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda Insight CVT, 2001 Honda Insight MT, 2000 Honda Insight MT
120 Posts
Jim,

Can you add a third choice: either? This way you get a good count of people and it allow those of us with flexibility let you know...just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
9,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Jim,

Can you add a third choice: either? This way you get a good count of people and it allow those of us with flexibility let you know...just a thought.
Thanks for the suggestion. Looking forward to seeing you at the meet :)

·
Super Moderator
9,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
MORE GREAT NEWS ! mudder has informed me that he is going to attend our Mid-Atlantic Maintenance Meet. He will be discussing and demonstrating his LiBCM Lithium Battery Conversion to the Gen1 IMA battery. He is a very accomplished electronic designer and the design is a first rate effort. He will probably hand off the manufacturing of the drop-in units to someone else for the production units. The system will include a BMS complete with safeties and balancing. The system is currently in Beta testing with 3 testers I believe. The system will also be mechanically simple for diy types to install. This as opposed to the Fit LTO batteries which were much heavier and mechanically difficult to work with. You can read all about the design and testing here:

I will also be showing version 3.0 of my LTO conversion at the meet. It took me 3 versions before it finally dawned on me how to package the large batteries and the required OEM stuff withing the IPU box. I hope to also have my Orion BMS installed by that time, but no promises it will be debugged.

·
Super Moderator
9,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Seems like it's going to be September 25th!
Yes September 25th is the correct date. I will be sending directions to the private garage and my phone # by a "conversation" to each member who is attending. Also keep checking this thread. There will be developing news over the next two weeks.

It is great that you are coming and will be showing off the new battery system and your LiBCM. There has been considerable interest and I know it will draw extra attendees. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,396 Posts
Hey, Jim! Please add me (and Carol) to the list.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
5,396 Posts
Thanks! But we're flying to SC to buy an Insight and we'll drive from there.

Sam

Reactions: jime

·
Super Moderator
9,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Like everyone else I had hoped that we would be past COVID concerns by late September, but the Delta varient has thrown us a curve ball. I do not want to cancel the meet. I think the Insight community is badly in need of face time and socials. In discussion with the host, we have decided to go ahead with the schedule with some extra precautions and work arounds. Of course we can't guarantee anything and only you can be responsible for your risk of infection. There will be the normal release form for the event covering the risk of garages, but it will also have a COVID section. This is a private party so attendance is strictly voluntary. Additional COVID measures are:

A. Only vaccinated individuals shall attend. I will ask at registration. Please do not trifle with this question as your health and that of others depends on your answer.

B. The usual breakfast option at the Frederick Coffee Company is canceled. We don't need that exposure. I will put coffee jugs and doughnuts on the food line.

C. Masks:

-Masks are required inside the garage and at demonstrations out in the parking lot where social distancing won't be practical.
-Masks and hand sanitizer are required in the food line. Sanitizer provided.
-Masks are voluntary outside the garage so long as social distancing is maintained.

D. We will minimize the number of people in the garage at any one time. If your car isn't on a lift, please focus on socializing or touring outside.

E. Please minimize your risk of infection in the days prior to the event.

I'm sorry to be a bit of a Nazi about this, but be prepared to be reminded of the protocal at the event. I hope everyone will accept these precautions and act responsibly.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for laying this all out and finding a way to still let us meet. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'd be happy to bring the 2000 Insight out. Car's working rather well but has a somewhat nutty battery and it would be interesting to see what an Insight should do. Head gasket replacement is doing well 1 or 2 years on now, big project is going to be dropping the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump/fuel gauge sender.

·
Super Moderator
9,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Love to have you come, but I must caution you that dropping a fuel tank is not within the scope of a "maintenance" day. BTW, the pump/sender can be replaced much easier through the access opening inside the car :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was wondering about that, the shop manual said drop the tank and I figured it was going to be a fall project. Is the access opening kinda self evident behind the seats? Driver's or passenger's?

Honestly the one thing I'm curious about is the idle check: The car idles fine with the AC off but when I turn the AC on it goes sad. And I'd love to see if it ever goes into "lean burn" mode. And talk about how much fun it is to replace the head gasket :)

·
Linsight Designer
2,626 Posts
You can't miss the fuel pump access port... remove the middle mat carpet and aluminum panel and it's the big hole with the rubber gasket on it. Mostly behind the driver seat.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You can't miss the fuel pump access port... remove the middle mat carpet and aluminum panel and it's the big hole with the rubber gasket on it. Mostly behind the driver seat.
The metal plate behind the seat? So far I've taken off the side trim, luggage net screws, carpeting, the bunch of 10mm bolts holding the plate that goes across the car, and now I just pulled the rubber gasket on the passengers side of the car that has the three fuel lines going under it. I'm not disconnecting those, putting that back together, looks like it's the other hole that has the big snorkel over 4-5 bolts.

Man this car has a lot of bolts.

Reactions: jime

·
Super Moderator
9,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Sorry, I should have given you a bit better directions :(

·
Registered
120 Posts
Czach, I will be bringing my car essentially apart (no carpet, trim, panels) so that people can see some of the mods I have done and it will be easier apart. It will also help demonstrate the top access to the fuel pump.

I am REALLY looking forward to seeing the battery pack that mudder has been working on and getting to talk about it.

For my end, if anyone is interested:
I have got my 2000 MT up and running.

I have added/mod the following:
-S2000 steering wheel
-Prolong charger/discharger
-Mike's MIMA with FAS system
-OBDII C&C (hoping the programmer comes in soon so I can update before the meet)
-OBDII extension/power switch
-Clutch mod
-ROSTRA cruise control (I have one installed on my 2003 CVT as well)
-Scott's front and rear springs
-GAZ rear shocks
-Original stereo w/CD changer and Bluetooth adapter (and battery voltage monitor)
-Additional auxiliary power ports (hidden for accessories listed below)
-Front/Rear mirror camera system (eliminates blindspots)
-Backup camera system
-Fast charge cellphone charger/holder

Without the carpet/trim/panels/etc it will be a lot easier for anyone to see how the mods were done and just how easy they are.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry, I should have given you a bit better directions :(
Oh it's ok: Apparently a lot of the pictures on how to do this were over on some image hosting site that went away so all the links are broken. I should post the pics I took of the job using Imgur, they don't seem to be going anywhere in the near future. Yes, I'll do that in the other thread.

Meantime, what's the timing on the meeting and the approximate location? If it's the 25th then I also have a big 928 Porsche event (think of it as the anti-Insight) that I have to hit as well. So what I could do is bring a girlfriend, have her drive the 928 while I drive the Insight, see you all in the morning, then drive down to Sterling to see the 928 people.

Never a dull moment.

·
Super Moderator
9,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Oh it's ok: Apparently a lot of the pictures on how to do this were over on some image hosting site that went away so all the links are broken. I should post the pics I took of the job using Imgur, they don't seem to be going anywhere in the near future. Yes, I'll do that in the other thread.

Meantime, what's the timing on the meeting and the approximate location? If it's the 25th then I also have a big 928 Porsche event (think of it as the anti-Insight) that I have to hit as well. So what I could do is bring a girlfriend, have her drive the 928 while I drive the Insight, see you all in the morning, then drive down to Sterling to see the 928 people.

Never a dull moment.
The meet will begin on 8:30 a.m. on Sept 25th. Since it is a private garage, I will be providing directions and my phone # by PM.

21 - 40 of 106 Posts