Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Either

Votes: 3 30.0%
41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Attention to all. As results of the pole, the final date is Sept. 25 at 8:30. Since it is a private garage, I will be providing a Frederick address and my phone # to each attendee.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
868 Posts
If anybody is interested in my '01 5 MT Silverstone, I would consider driving it to Frederick. I would replace front calipers and pads and charge up the IMA. $800 would do it. Body is nice from a dents and dings perspective, but the roof paint is bad and the hood paint isn't great. Wheels are nice, but tires are worn out and wrong size. Clutch is on its last legs and it has the classic 2nd gear synchro grind.

If no one wants it as a runner, I'll part it. Shame really, since body is nice.

Brake lines need replacing.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hello Jime,

I will attend this event. Not sure if my wife will come with me or not. I might need to use a lift. My 2002 Honda Insight makes a rattling noise while idling and driving, that I haven't heard before. The Honda service center said it was the catalytic converter causing that noise.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Hi Russell!

The shields around the catalytic converters are known for rusting loose and rattling. Mine is doing this now.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hello Sean,

If that's the case, would I be able to replace the shields to fix it? Also, I heard there is two catalytic converters in the car, which one of those has the shields?

Thanks,

Russell

Hi Russell!

The shields around the catalytic converters are known for rusting loose and rattling. Mine is doing this now.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,561 Posts
A big "hose clamp" is suffecient to make the shield tight and stop the rattle.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
This could be a great use of the lift, but figuring out how to reattach a rusted shield could be a challenge. A hose clamp may do the trick but if it causes the shield to contact the cat the heat transfer could negate the purpose of the shield and Bad Things could happen maybe. There are other things that can rattle, including one of the clips mounted to the bar that crosses the engine compartment and holds the battery. It has a tendency to break and then squeak when rubbing against the bar. All sorts of crazy failures!!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Hello Jime,

I will attend this event. Not sure if my wife will come with me or not. I might need to use a lift. My 2002 Honda Insight makes a rattling noise while idling and driving, that I haven't heard before. The Honda service center said it was the catalytic converter causing that noise.
Great to hear you are coming. Will be nice to see you again. It is looking like a great meet. We'll get it up on the lift and find the rattle, but Willie is correct. A bid hose clamp frequently does the trick. It is very difficult to replace a shield on an old cat. The mounting bolts are usually completely rusted in place and impossible to remove, but we'll see.

Bring a chair or two:)

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Just cut it off . If I was coming I’d just get the host to wire wheel it off or burn off the remains of it and move on. Have a great meet I’ll miss ya guys this year been traveling for work and home projects just got in the way.

·
Super Moderator
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Yeah, it doesn't seem to really be needed. My aeromodded hypermiller never had one. I didn't notice any ill effects. You might try the big hose clamp first, if it is partially attached.

·
Super Moderator
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
THE GOOD NEWS JUST NEVER STOPS! Mark has informed me that Doug, his good friend and pit crew member, will be doing his excellent grill lunch, complete with yummy sides. For those who have been to meets at Mark's place, this contributes wonderfully to a great social hour at lunch. It is also high point for those who come JUST to socialize.:D

Reactions: minor4326

·
Super Moderator
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Just a couple of late reminders.

First, please read again post #29 on the COVID safety measures. Please bring a good mask for those occasions when it is required.

Second, The chairs that Doug are bringing are the hard steel folding chairs. Adequate, but not super comfortable. If you have a favorite napping chair, Willy will get the joke, please bring it.

Last, I don't know the cost of the meal, but it usually runs something like $15-18. I'll be collecting from everyone, so please plant to eat ;)

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,561 Posts
Who needs a nap?
Don't know why this was flagged.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Joint Furniture Comfort Couch Knee

·
Super Moderator
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
He's an obscene old guy :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Jim -- George (Geocougar) and I are planning on making the trek from N J. George has an abiding interest in lithium conversions and I'd like to get a valve adjustment in, if possible, but that would be after cooling off from our 3.5 hour drive. I might also want to spray my rear brake lines with corrosion inhibitor and diagnose an engine compartment oil leak.

Please PM address.

Thanks, Evan a/k/a Joule.

·
Super Moderator
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I'm going to be sending out my phone # and the address this afternoon to everyone. The private shop is on an alley, so it doesn't have a street name. I'll be passing the address of the house on the corner of the ally. Just round the corner and the shop comes up immediately on the right. The operations you mention are well withing the scope of a maintenance day.

The shop has no restroom so visit a McDonalds on the way in ;)

Reactions: julianachos

·
Registered
868 Posts
Depends on which harness. I did my Prolong charge/discharge install in about 35 min. if you don't count the back and forth text exchange with Scott K. to answer a couple questions.

I can't imagine one brand of harness differs much from another, but I have not compared them.

The most time consuming aspect of that install is removing and replacing the IMA cover.

41 - 60 of 107 Posts