• September 25th

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Either

Votes: 3 30.0%
61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Depends on which harness. I did my Prolong charge/discharge install in about 35 min. if you don't count the back and forth text exchange with Scott K. to answer a couple questions.

I can't imagine one brand of harness differs much from another, but I have not compared them.

The most time consuming aspect of that install is removing and replacing the IMA cover.
I think that would work if the harness has instructions :)
I'll check when I get home. I got my harness from mjspiess last month. One end goes into a Prolong charger.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'll check when I get home. I got my harness from mjspiess last month. One end goes into a Prolong charger.
Mudder can probably do the harness install with a blindfold on… but here are some instructions. I installed my Prolong (discharge ready) harness…. Not hard to do. My only precaution - step #20. Make certain the wires are lined up perfectly in the spade taps, and properly seated. Double check fan operating before putting everything back together…😳😂

·
Super Moderator
9,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
The address of the meet has been sent by "conversation" to each participant. Please let me know IF you do not receive the address and my phone # shortly.

·
Super Moderator
5,423 Posts
I would like to use the lift to move tires front to back, install rear springs, and have a general look under the new-to- me car.

Sam

·
Registered
2003 Honda Insight CVT, 2001 Honda Insight MT, 2000 Honda Insight MT
131 Posts
I won't need the lift, but would appreciate someone helping me figure out my hatch handle not working. It opens by key, but not the handle. The good news is that the inside isn't all put together... :)

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Joule is correct about the harness only taking about 35 minutes for a simple grid charger.

Thr harness for the old Mike D/Hybrid Revolt charger requires a battery out to route and connect everything.

Scott

Reactions: jime

·
Super Moderator
9,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Yep, I have one and they took a while to install, but the charger is so darn flexible. I use it to charge my LTOs and it automatically shuts itself down at a programmable voltage. With a few diy mods, it could have been installed without taking the battery out. :)

·
Linsight Designer
2,677 Posts
I won't need the lift, but would appreciate someone helping me figure out my hatch handle not working. It opens by key, but not the handle. The good news is that the inside isn't all put together... :)
Does the trunk latch 'whirr' when you try to open it? If so, you need a new TLC (I'll bring one).

·
Registered
131 Posts
@mudder Unfortunately, no whirl. I press the electronic hatch release and there is nothing.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
@HawkI The second most common place for the hatch latch failure, especially if no whirring is in the hatch plug, located in the “B” pillar near the seatbelt mechanism on the right side of the car. In many cases the plug gets moisture in it and the electrical terminals corrode and sometimes disintegrate.

Since jime will be at the meet, he is a hatch latch diagnostic expert, I’m sure he will be able to troubleshoot it for you in about a minute.

Scott

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
962 Posts
Anybody feel like helping me figure out why the top half of my rear window defroster grid doesn't work. I'm thinking B pillar electrical plug as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Could be. We'll look at it at the meet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks @KLR3CYL . Looking forward to Jim's expertise in action.. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,423 Posts
Anybody feel like helping me figure out why the top half of my rear window defroster grid doesn't work. I'm thinking B pillar electrical plug as well.
It’s normal. None of them work.
Sam

·
Linsight Designer
2,677 Posts
It’s normal. None of them work.
Sam
I 2nd this... I've never had an Insight whose rear defrost worked. I've often contemplated how I could reuse that circuit for something else, but I've never come up with "something else".

·
Registered
62 Posts
Joule is correct about the harness only taking about 35 minutes for a simple grid charger.

Thr harness for the old Mike D/Hybrid Revolt charger requires a battery out to route and connect everything.

Scott
Not sure which harness this is, but it doesn't look like a complex one that needs battery removal?

If I need to bring some terminals, let me know! There seem to be two wires without them.

·
Registered
384 Posts
That looks like the “discharge ready” Hybrid Automotive Prolong harness. You will need two clips to connect the two bare wires to the car’s cooling fan wires.
Instructions:
Hood Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Cable Gas

Reactions: julianachos

·
Super Moderator
9,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
You also need a "piggyback" or "add a terminal" terminal to parallel connect the red charge wire to the junction board battery positive. This is an adapter terminal with one female and two male posts. A good hardware store should be able to help.

If you can, you should also print the link instructions. Gaining internet access at the shop is uncertain;)

Reactions: julianachos
61 - 80 of 119 Posts