Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mild weather has returned to central PA and the mpg's are going back up. :D

In addition to keeping the warm-air mods for awhile longer, I'm using the metric L / 100 km display as an aid.

I don't remember who posted trying it out, but I used his suggestion & have found watching the metric display very beneficial, especially when going down grade.

I ease up on throttle just enough to indicate 1 L / 100 km (two dots or squares on the display), and mileage goes way up. On the US display I can only see the max of 150 mpg. Further easing of the throttle doesn't show any more on the display. On metric, it does, right down to fuel (near) cut out.

If I ease the throttle any more (less than 2 dots on the metric), regen kicks in and slows the car. Keeping it at 2 dots or 1 L / 100 km allows free coasting down the grade.

Good way to squeeze some more mileage out of my cvt (since I don't have lean burn like the mt's)

Getting 60's on the way up to work and low 80's on the way back (downhill), averaging low 70's round trip. Anxious to see hot weather mileage.

btw: 1 L / 100 km calculates out to 235.2 mpg. :D:D

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
With the warmer weather, while cruzing on flat terrain, ever so slightly lift off the gas, the mpgs will jump up 10 or 15, then ever so slightly get back on the gas. You should be able to cruze 5 mpg higher than you were before. I typically will overshoot my intended speed by one or two mpg then let it settle where I want it.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This thread is worthless without photos... :D
You're right, but being such a dinosaur it would take me several tries and much frustration (as my wife reminds me) to get the photos up.

I will give it a try. :D

..Bob

·
Registered
224 Posts
I would think the oxygen content of the air is more relevant. Warm air equals less O2 which means more throttle opening for the same power output, which leads to less pumping loss. Also, fuel atomized better and burns more completely in warmer air.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I installed the warm air mod early in the winter and ran quite a bit at 100f intake temps mourned with the obdii c&c gauge. The warm air did not seem to make much difference at all. Maybe if I had lean burn ........
When I installed the warm air mods, I had already been running in cooler temps with reduced mpg. I got about 6 mpg back after putting in the mods.

..Bob

·
Registered
224 Posts
I didn't notice a meaningful improvement from the hot intake mod either. I noticed a big improvement from my grill block mod (and by mod I mean shoving a piece of vinyl siding in front of the radiator).

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pic

This thread is worthless without photos... :D
OK Cobb, dinosaur Bob has a pic ;)

This was my commute TO work up the mountain yesterday evening. Temp in the 60's, good wind, good traffic. My best uphill commute since owning the car. :D

Would love to see what an mt could do around here.

(I gotta get better with this download/upload/misload stuff)

..Bob

Attachments

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The insight is in for inspection, and my mechanic (whom I trust completely) tells me that I had the left front brake dragging a little bit. Maybe I'll get more mpg ; after I break in the new re-92's that went on the front.

I gotta get smart on sway bars, he tells me the ends are almost shot. Still usable for awhile, but I need to replace it. Ideas on cost of such a part?

..Bob

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a manual. I can imagine a lot of my mods don't do much on a cvt, as it is mostly about getting to lean burn and staying there as long possible.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was wrong on sway bar ends, my mechanic steered me straight (ha ha), a stabilizer bar link is going bad.

I have a manual too. Thanks for the thought. With limited tools, and no lift, I think I'll let the mechanic do it. (He can get the link for $51)

..Bob

·
Registered
737 Posts
Today was a VERY good day!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts