Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm beginning to become a bit Leery, I've got 130 miles on my tank of gas currently, yet there are 0 ticks gone from the gas gauge. i could have sworn this was not the case previously. is this normal? or should i be concerned now? the only reason why I'm even questioning this is because i let my last tank get to 0 bars on the gas gauge so i could get over 900 miles my last tank. hopefully nothing was damaged in the car.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
The fuel gauge is not a "precision" instrument nor is it linear. The upper 1/2 will drop slower than the lower 1/2. AND you _will_ see some variation.

Repeatedly running the tank down"to the last drop" will add stress (heat) to the pump. Its an immersion type pump, fuel helps keep it cool. On several domestic models that's all it takes to push a higher mileage fuel pump over the edge (failure).

HTH! :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Plus there are a few gallons, perhaps, stored in the tank from the float max limit to the top of the neck of your filler tube. You aren't supposed to fill the tank up to the top of that neck, since it then spills into other parts (catalytic converter I think).

·
Registered
338 Posts
sounds about right to me...
I get to work and back with no drop at the top (100 miles)

BE GREATFUL! :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah :) just dropped down a tick, almost 160 miles..

i have crappy commutes in my car so my gas mileage isn't always the best.. i average 65 mpg. 5 mile commute takes about 10-15 minutes, uphill both ways >< literally. and i have about 8 streetlights in that path... stupid chicago :(

·
Registered
408 Posts
JakkedUp, it spills over into the charcoal canister or fuel vapor space, not the catalytic converter. That would be very BAD ;) I'll agree with what was said earlier, running the tank all the way down is not good for the pump (although there is still a couple gallons in there when your down to one bar). Also, fuel expands when heated so filling the tank up all the way prevents it from expanding anywhere.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
kapps said:
Also, fuel expands when heated so filling the tank up all the way prevents it from expanding anywhere.
Huh :?: :? That again would be an "overflow" into the evaporative emissions recovery system. Not good.

Years ago I've seen "bad" gas (probably a winter blend sold in summer) combine with other factors expand into the danger zone. With the Smokey mountians neaby the combination of high fuel voliatilty, hot temperatures and higher altitude all added to completely overwhelm the evap system in a group of pre OBDII cars (smaller canister).

There was a trail of liquid gasoline that dribbled out of the charcoal canister vent :!: Could have had nasty consequences, very nasty.

We all understand the risk of driving and accidents. For me I'll do what I can to further reduce the "crash and burn" :shock: risk factor. Overfilling :?: Don't do it :!:

HTH! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts