Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
88 miles, gentle rolling countryside on twisty secondary road, two long hills: @ 50 to 60mph; Air Temp:22 C No AC: 76mpg (US gallon)

Return trip with ECONO AC set to 22C: 61 mpg

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Picking my dog up after a long roadtrip. Gently rolling hills. Target speed 50mph, ran A/C intermittently when going downhill and regenerating, engine-off coasting on shallow inclines. Zero net elevation change.

Return trip 98mpg, ran A/C more because I had my dog with me.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Monitor Vacuum for Throttle Range in LB

Per Willie's recommendation the other day, I began to monitor Vacuum on my Bluetooth OBD II Torque app (free version) instead of just the Throttle position to see how much Throttle range is left before ICE kicks out of Lean Burn to maximize MPG. It took me a bit to get used to it, but it made a huge difference! I even managed to get up a 1.5 miles long hill on the freeway in 4th with LB and 60 MPH w/o Assist instead of downshifting to 3rd and 65 MPH w/o Assist as he had suggested. ICE comes out of LB when Vac gets below 3.5 - 5.0

Thank you Willie.

Photos below are with 95 deg afternoon temperature, A/C off, and passenger window open. RE92s at 55 pisa. Warm Air Intake, and no other mods.
1st Photo; ~10 miles avg at 30 MPH on secondary 2 lanes. 2nd Photo; Continuing the next 40 miles on two lane state highway at 55-60 MPH. My best results yet. Normally averaging 70 MPG in AM and 80 MPG over~ 50 miles one way commute gaining 500 ft elevation in AM and losing it on the drive back. I try to keep Assist to minimum.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Something I've never been clear on - where does the vacuum need to be to know you're in LB?
Vacuum and lean burn have nothing to do with each other. You can have the same vacuum value in either lean burn or stoich.

Lean burn is simply a lower air fuel ratio. You can have lean burn with the same throttle positions, same vacuum. One indicator is that the secondary O2 sensor value will read zero, and that the timing advances considerably.

There's a thread on here to actually show your AFR value in Torque.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Found a comment on a thread specific to this - Thank you

Lean burn can fluctuate from 21.x to 22.4+. "Bad" LB will be in the high 21's to the low 22s. "Good" LB will be 22.4+. If you keep the FCD pegged at 150 MPG the ratio will stay higher than 22.4. If the FCD drops back, so will the A/F ratio. So drive by the FCD. Keep it as high as possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
KillerInsideMe
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing