Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go again.
Some pressing questions:
1. While you the buyer assumes liability for installing and using MIMA, what happens when you let someone use your car, and they have a problem.

2. You sell the car, and do not remove MIMA, the new owner has a problem, and sues.
3. You Install MIMA, and the MCM or ECM blows up cause you wired it wrong.

4. Your car is in warranty, but Honda will not honor it because you have mima equipped.

The more I read and research about automotive liability suits, the more I worry that I may not be able to shield my self from this type of law suit, and there is no way I can afford to get product liability insurance, or become incorporated .
What to do?
MIMA is ready, the instructions are almost ready, but the Liability waver is the hold up.
Sorry to be so paraniod, but at 60 years old, I don't want to loose everything I have worked so hard for my whole life, just so a few people can have the fun of having MIMA.
I have already permaturely installed two systems, without the liability waver, but Rick and Yves will sign whatever I come up with for a waiver, and fully know the risk. I would like to sell a slew of these to everyone that wants one, but this needs to be addressed before I can sell any more units.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
652 Posts
A llc Might be the only way to have solid protection. [url]http://www.4inc.com/llcfees.htm. I wonder at what point does a company get off the hook. For instance you saw my 120K+ tire still in service. If I drive it until it fails (no tread left, belts exposed etc) is Bridgestone still liable? If you provide a 100K warranty such as Honda on the IMA does that protect you from claims at 101K miles. If so then perhaps you need to provide a 30 day warranty on system components that you build with liability limited to replacement of the particular part. Have fun, Rick[/url]

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback Rick
I have not mentioned warranty yet, but I was thinking that 30 days should be enough to cover any initial defects in the boards, once I get some more boards made, a swap of a bad board would the easiest way to deal with a defective board. I am also going to be available by e mail or phone to resolve any issues with the instalation, or problems with the system.
I know several people that have LLC companies, but I need to look into what actual protection an LLC provides.
More research to do.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Mike Dabrowski 2000 said:
Your car is in warranty, but Honda will not honor it because you have mima equipped.
This true for any vehicle that have been modded. You just change the car back before selling or taking it in for service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
MIke, I was going to volunteer to a MIMA install since I live in Pa. but I've thought about your liability issue too. Could you sell them as experimental? I'm not a lawyer, but I thought maybe some designation like above would shield you. I've got a friend who's a lawyer working auto liablility issues at the government level, I'll see if could comment. John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.