Honda Insight Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the final ruling on the MIMA modified Insights and the tour de sol.

The ruling:

Mike - Thank you for your inquiry and exceptional effort for improving the performance of your Honda Insight. After considerable review and discussion we have decided that your interesting MIMA modification (and potential addition of other parts) would place you in the Modified Factory Hybrid Category.

We are, however, willing to create a special "Modified Insight" category if there are 5 or more entrants with similar modifications, bringing special visibility to your exciting effort.

Please be sure to get your entry in soon, however, as we are limiting the number of total entrants, due to logistical issues, and support requirements at Saratoga.

Thank you for your interest in demonstrating that we can indeed get improved mileage over the US (Detroit led) CAFÉ standards.

We hope you are the one to take the $5000 award for the car with the highest mileage over 100 mpg!

Feel free to call if you have any other questions.

Regards,

James P.Dunn
CEO and Director NASA NE RTTC
Center for Technology Commercialization
1400 Computer Drive
Westborough, MA 01581

I know of 3 counting Yves and I that will race. How many people are willing to sign up. We will get you set up either with MIMA_L or if we can pull it together in time with MIMA_C.
Kip has offered to help with the PC card layout, anyone with access to a board milling system?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Mike,

Good luck in the rally. I really wonder if anyone will get the prize for over 100 mpg. It would seam that they could easily set the ralley up to prevent any car from achieving spectacular mileage by requiring a high speed between some stations or using a road with several hills. Guess we will hear about the results. Have fun, Rick

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been too busy to read and totally understand the rules, but with MIMA, the hills are not as much of a problem as without., you really can keep the gas at 125 mpg in fourth or fifth and MIMA up most hills.
I have not really set out to see how well I could do mileage wise, but the difference can be a lot based on the few longer trips I have done.
Unfortunately my lead foot keeps me from getting the high MPG, and with the better acceleration and performance that using the full 14KW power of the electric motor gives, I keep reverting to my sports car mode. :oops:

I may need someone else to drive and I will be the navigator.
What are you doing on that weekend Rick? :wink:

We could split the cash.
As I read the rules,you must start at the set places, but you can pick the route. The car must average the speed limit for the road - 10 MPh. So pick secondary roads, and use a topo map like the topousa, and one could plot a course that would optimize the milage and minimize the required speed.
I will send in the $95 registration fee and go for it.
I have topo maps for my Street pilot 3.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Good luck Mike! The Topo map sounds like a good idea for mileage. Too bad you didn't know anyone with a box van or truck you could follow for most of the distance. That makes a huge difference. Can be dangerous though.
I guess it's winner take all with no other cash prizes? It would be great if you could do it, and as far as keeping your foot out of it, I think 5 grand would be a pretty good incentive. :D

So you can regularly get 125mpg? I'm not sure I want to get that much. :shock: Just kidding.
Keep us posted.
robert

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I said that I can climb a hill that without MIMA I would need to drop to 50MPG to make while maintaining speed. With MIMA, I can climb the same hill at the same maintained speed, at 125 MPG with the full MIMA assist, which if maintained for 1-2 minutes straight, will deplete the 3AH of useable charge in a fully charged battery. With a 50A fiorced charge, the 3AH can be replaced in maybe 3-6 minutes. I have put 4 bars of charge on one 70MPH to stop off down hill off ramp.
The power used to climb the hill needs to be replaced on the way down, and because of the 100A out, and the 50A in+ charging inefficiencies, it is not a wash. I have never made a test run just to see what milage I could maintain., but can easily see better numbers than I was used to.
In reality, the best way of using the MIMA is to climb hills is to maintain speed with a balance of the gas and the assist that maintains speed at the highest practicle MPG for the hill, with minimal use of the assist.
It is still a balancing act to get the super numbers, the MIMA has just allowed the IMA to be used indepentantly of the throttle, and therefore offers some new options that were flat out not available without it.
A new level of difficulty to the video game, which when mastered, will in my estimation yield some LMPG over 100mpg(assuming a reset of the LMPG )
Once we get a fleet of the MIMA equipped Insights running, the real advantage in MPG will become clear.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Mike,
In a CVT the engine is set to stay in its most economical range. The CVT varries the gear ratio to accomplish this. Your use of MIMA is essentially the same in that you are operating the gas engine in its most economical range and when that is not enough power you draw a little bit from the battery. Anyway it sounds like a lot of fun. I considered making the DC to Saratoga trip but since they require a navigator it wasn't too practical for me. Too bad they didn't wait until June then I could have gotten my son to navigate. Have fun, RIck

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Talk about faith!
Nemystic just registered for the Monty carlo rally, The only problem , we will not install his MIMA_L until tomorrow.
As it stands there should be four MMA equipped Insight's, and Jack MPG is trying to drive up from FL. to have his turbo equipped Insight there as well. There will be a fun rally in the parking lot at the car show, and that’s where we most likely will be gathering.
http://www.nesea.org/transportation/tou ... egory.html
I hope to have a working prototype of the throttle based MIMA_C, and Yves and nemystic will hopefully be driving their MIMA_L equipped cars.
b1shmu63 also be there driving a MIMA_C. If we can get two motivated guys from Canada and one from Florida to support this worthy cause, I would hope that many of you people that live a little closer would make the effort. The tour de sol is the premiere event for showcasing alternatives to the big SUV,s that the automakers would like us to buy.
Would be great if a bunch of you guys showed up and tried out the turbo and MIMA modified Insights and joined the fun. A great opportunity for a Nation wide Insight gathering. The organizers want to drive home the message that Hybrids are the short term answer to the rapidly approaching oil crisis. They are actively encouraging guys like us to shake the tree, and wake up Detroit. There should be no reason that all cars could not get over 100MPG. Just put the most efficient mix of gas and electric drive in a light weight but safe aerodynamic car, and you have it. Grid recharging, new Lithium batteries, the increasing cost of oil. Everything is in place for the revolution, except the automakers desire to invest in the tooling to mass produce the wonder hybrids that are needed to get society through this very dangerous time in the history of the human race.

·
Registered
364 Posts
MIMA Turbo ?, YES

Hi All,
Jack here, well G-9 turbo, same as figgy's, is supposed to arrive Monday. That will give me almost two days for set up and testing. Then I'm off for Saratoga and the Tour de Sol. I"ll be gassing up and having the tank sealed in Lansdale, PA for the mileage run the rest of the way to the Tour.

Mike, you said your entering a "race", what race? How do I enter it? Didn't find it on the Tour site. That, acceleration, handling and the others. Want to participate in all that if at all possible. If you want to MIMA Baby go right ahead. Basicly I would go for little or no IMA assist below 30 or 40% throttle, don't need it, get plenty from turbo. Then FULL IMA assist above 80 or 90% throttle. Could the joy stick be used to enhance charging ? That would also help to further reduce hidden chargeing while your turning on lean burn. Hidden charging is very evident with the boost/vacuum gauge. Just as Willie had instructed me you'll see 2 " on highway, when it jumps to 6" it's just switched off, vacuum gauge anyone? I'll take another look at the Tour site and see if I can find those competitions and see if there's a place to sign up. See you at the Fun place, Jack

·
Registered
65 Posts
I signed up for next week's Monte Carlo Style Rally today with my bone stock Insight. Saratoga Springs is an enjoyable drive from Montreal. Went there with the Insight last summer for a RUSH concert.

Can't wait to see, discuss and maybe try this great MIMA feature. Just learned about it today and am still studying the other thread on the subject. Should come by here more often! MIMA is something I'll definitely have to add to my little car soon! Congratulations to all involved!

Yves, I understand you'll be there. Where are you starting from?

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
HI Electric CO, Mike, Kip

Been real busy but very sadly not on the MIMA, real bummer. If I can add: Esti de calice de saint siboir de tabarnac.

I still did not have enough time to finish my Mima_L. Still 4/6 parts and soldering and debugging to do.

That of my chest, I will not be able to go at the Tour De Sol......
Very sorry!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Merde, I was looking forward to a great get together.

I did not have time to get my passport renewed. Hopefully they will not get to fussy at the border.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Alas, if you are any sort of non-white, ethnic person, they will get fussy at the border. :(
Bring some extra photo documentation of who you are, if you can.
Ideally, they won't notice the passport is expired. If you cross somewhere other than Detroit, that would be better. They are actually discussing canadians needing visas to visit the US right now :roll:

You go guys! make us all proud!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
Thanks to "what ever", soon you will need a "Visa", not a credit card, to go to the border towns or cities n Mexico from the USA.
Give them HECK in the rally guys, you definately have my best wishes. Wish they would have a "Cross country" gas mileage run for the privateer. That is something I would be interested in.

[moderator edit to prevent un necessary thread "bump" up the list]

For those interested in the MIMA project or those still wondering what it is the threads have become too fragmented for the developer to maintain and he has requested that his other MIMA threads be locked.

Please understand that any further suggestions for design changes will not be honored since the process is too far along. However, since its *opertation* can be easily modded in software such limited opinions will be welcome.

A few of the old threads that will most likely answer all your questions are here:

Hybrid controls and the MIMA project
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=2471

Mima Statue Update
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3176

MIMA L works in a CVT (automatic circuitry with foot pedal)
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3233
(Moderators note: the newest version of MIMA is CVT compatible)

MIMA Display and Joystick Housings
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3353

The developers site is here:

http://pages.cthome.net/genesisone/index.htm

Its a complex topic and modification. And one that should be carefully reviewed if your deciding on purchase. The purchase thread is here:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 9&start=15

The subject is still open for discussion at the developers selected for consolidation thread here:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3357

Locking other threads. Future MIMA threads will be locked and follow-up's directed to the thread above.

[end]

·
Registered
340 Posts
It may not make any difference whether the passport is expired or not because it does show your place of birth and citizenship. I think if you are going to countries that require a visa it has to be current.
I did get mine updated, but after I used it when I went to the Bahamas.

Here in the U.S. you can pay an extra $35 and get it back in 5 days if you have had one before.
Good luck,
robert

·
Registered
364 Posts
Tour de Sol

Hi All,
On my way to the Tour, got Baby off the stands and blocks yesterday, 1:30pm and headed out. Turbo shipping got messed up, won't arrive till the 13th, oops. So put Baby back to OEM, no turbo but has the exhaust option. Am now in Maryland a little south of Baltamore, 1054 miles in less than 1 1/2 days, we have been flying. The welding is what held us back. My prototype had the front exhaust modified (not like yours will be) so the first cat wouldn't fit back in until I did allot of reshaping. Anyway, a surprize, Baby's now OEM except for the exhaust option. We've been flying, never under 75 except for the ocasional slow pokes. Mostly over 80 and a few over 90. When we pulled into the hotel parking lot tonight the mpg's were 62.5 ! Tomorrow morning to the fill up station in Lansdale PA to start the mpg run to the Tour. Aprox 350 miles more to go. See you later. Jack

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Guys
Won't go into more details, but the tour was a fun time. I got to meet Jack MPG, who also got lots of attention for his Turbo mod. He has a great attitude about trying to make this mod easy to install and is using the best quality components. I was real disapointed that the turbo was not installed, as he had sent it to the turbo to the Kit maker as a template for the piping. The bigger exhause sounds real cool, and is a real attention getter. Jack, you should record that sound, and post a wav file for the guys to hear.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Hi folk

Back in Canada after 5 days in the States, where I had the privilege of spending time with Mike ( a 21st century Edison ) and his lovely wife Sue.

I now understand how Mike was able to accomplish so much on MIMA. His shop has the machines and material to build anything and he has decades of experience to make full use of it.

The Tour de Sol was great fun. Everywhere you went there were hybrids and hybrid enthusiasts. In the capable hands of Brian, the Insight with MIMA produced an amazing 94 MPG. Over a similar course I managed 74 MPG, whereas I had been achieving in the hundreds the week before. Cool temperature, speeds in the 65 to 70 range and many long climbs and descents were the killers for me.

Jack allowed me to sit in his Insight and test out his modified muffler. Man, it really looks and sounds great! Jack answered questions for me and others, and I must say I'm impressed. Come on folk, he really did go all out to produce a great kit for us.

I'm really looking forward to the next event. :D :D :D

Kip Munro

·
Registered
364 Posts
Tour de Sol

Hi All,
Got to spend time with Mike and Kip at the Tour, was fun and enlightening. Both Mike and Kip are real original thinkers and extremely smart to be sure. Was just a great time all around, can't wait till next year. Got to see various things Kip had done and Mikes MIMA in action. It will do what he says it can do. I'm jones'n for one already. Last leg of trip back to FL was 822 miles, whew. Baby and I did it in 10 hrs, 5 min, we flew, Valentine One all the way. With Baby OEM except for the exhaust option we finished trip 62.2 mpg at an average speed just over 80 mph. Pre-exhaust would have been around 50 mpg.
The G-9, more effiecient turbo was there when I got home, same as you'll have in kit. Better than expected, spools up at 2300rpm, well within an insights torque range. Actually starts to spool below 2K, awesome. Lean burn anyone? Chris is right, deffinately lean burn at 75 mph. Went out on turnpike yesterday and did it. Mpg's were hanging around 74. Next I'll try bumping the tire pressures up from 46 FT, 42 RR to 48 and 44 respectively. See if we can get that 75 @ 75. I'll post this at the "Buy & Sell". Dam, life is good... Jack

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.