Honda Insight Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just to get information for mike please post your responces to the following questions... I will complie the answers to try to give mike a better feel about some things he has brought up a few times.

Details about MIMA are found else where.

MIMA = Manual IMA =
This lets you Control when car assists, regens, stop forced charge.

1> Most Important if you would want the MIMA in your Insight?

2> How much are you willing to pay for MIMA?

3> Would you Purchase MIMA if you had to put it together youself or only if pre-built?

4> How much help would you require installing MIMA?
( Detailed directions , car radio type install or more or less )

5> What is holding you back from MIMA in you Insight?

thanks for you feed back.... let me know if I missed anything you wanted to know mike.

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
MIMA interest

1> Yes definately want MIMA

2> $100 would be a steal .... easily well worth $300 range.

3> Prebuilt for me... I lack confidence in my skills.

4> Deatiled directions possibly some email questioned answered as a minimum ... of course someone looking over shoulder making sure I don't kill my car would be nice. :(

5> I am currently held back by concern of doing this mod properly... And a bit by seeing how it works for others.

·
Registered
340 Posts
1- Yes I would like one.
2- Depends on how it comes...as kit, or complete.
3- Either way
4- Detailed instructions would be enough.

I won't install it until my battery warranty expires, but will be glad to buy it sooner.

Robert

·
Registered
344 Posts
1-Yes

2-$100 would be a steal .... easily well worth $300 range

3-Yes, either way

4-Directions with email support

5-NOTHING except delivery ;)

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
1. Yes want it.

2. Depending upon complexity, seems like a couple hundred bucks is a bargain given the work going into it (assuming a tested and built kit). For schematic and parts only, then some fair markup on parts and fair profit to developer(s) would be in order.

3. Yes, but prefer some degree of pre-assembly and testing to avoid installation boo-boos.

4. More details the better.

5. Not until my Turbo kit is finally installed 100% and tested enough in driving.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 - Absolutely
2 - I'd probably pay up to 150 or 200
3 - I'd get it if I had to put it together, but I'd appreciate pre-built
4 - detailed directions would be nice
5 - the remainder of my battery warrantee (should be up in a few months)

I've been watching this thread since the first post and I want to thank all those involved, especially mike. thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
1-Yes, I wanted one before I ever heard of it!

2-I think $200-$300 is reasonable. You might save that much in gas over several years.

3-I do not mind assembling parts but I do not like the idea of soldering in small areas like IC pins. I would probably prefer an assembled circuit board, and I could assemble the rest.

4-Detailed directions and possibly some questions answered by e-mail

5-The body shop needs to finish fixing the salvaged Insight that I bought 7½ months ago. :shock: Since there are no warranties that is not a problem, but I am concerned about not causing any damage by installing this.

Thanks to everyone, especially Mike, who helped invent and produce this great product in a surprisingly short time!

·
Registered
77 Posts
1 yes I want one
2. 200 or so
3. Prebuilt
4. Detailed instruction
5. I still have atleast 6 months of warranty on my battery.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
1> Definitely yes!

2> Trick question? I would be very happy indeed to get it for $200 (I mean the kit, assembled would be more), and would be willing to go quite a bit higher if need be.

3> I'd take it as a kit, as I'd rather Mike spends his time doing R&D :)

4> I don't know. I think good directions would be enough for me, but would appreciate being able to squawk for help if I run into problems.

5> I won't be back in the US until July...

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
1. Yes
2. 100 is bargain ~300 no problem
3. I could get it put together, but would take a built and tested board
4. Detailed instructions, e-mail support, maybe some online pics.
5. I can't find the sign off sheet that Mike had posted or I would already have it filled out with the envelope addressed waiting to stuff some funds into :D
Edit:
After looking at the buy/sell page where it was a couple days ago and reading the rules, I remember now that I will probably need to pm Mike :oops:

·
Registered
652 Posts
1> Yes definately want MIMA

2> 200-300 is fair considering your efforts and time.

3> Prebuilt perfered but I will try any of the options.

4> Deatiled directions is a must although if enough people get it perhaps we would have area assembly parties.

5> I am out of warranty but want to do the work right.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Thanks IamIan
And all of you other guys, this is exactly what I need. Since the design and pc cards are still a few weeks away, this thread will hopefully give me a good numbers for both the number of people ready right now, and how they would like their MIMA packaged, as well as the price points for the different options. I would also encourage people that have a serious interest but want to wait and see what the collective experience of the early adopters is before committing to do the poll so I can adjust the number of pc cards and parts that I buy accordingly and therefore get the cost as low as possible. I hope to order the pc cards this week so do the poll soom if you can.
I don’t quite understand what happened to the disclaimer document when they moved the How to order MIMA thread? The moderators have been very silent about MIMA, but seem to be allowing all of the discussions to run un moderated?
Still early, we can figure out how to do the ordering in a week or so.
Thanks, and please do the poll if you have a serious interest.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Mike,
Sorry about the release form. I moved the form to the buy and sell area and figured I would edit the one in the modifications section. Apparently when I edited it both were changed instead of just the one in the modifications section. I hope you have a copy of the release form as my editing has caused the post content to be lost. As a result I deleted the post, sorry for the inconvience. When you are actually ready to start selling the kits please post the disclaimer and cost in a thread within the buy and sell section. In regards to moderation, MIMA is definitely on topic, desired by the IC members and thus is open to discussion. The only catch is please post info in regards to purchasing in the buy and sell section. This is more or less how the turbo option has run as well. Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
89 Posts
1 yes I want one
2. 200 or so
3. Prebuilt
4. Detailed instruction
5. I still have years left on warranty, but I'll still buy it now.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
1. I want one.
2. I'd be most interested $100-$150.
3. It would need to be prebuilt (soldered) for me. I would need a harness premade. I could build a case, etc.
4. Car radio install instructions. I would also imagine that individual purchasers might post some of their experiences for others to learn from.
5. I have under 60,000 miles on my Insight right now. Since I'm in warranty I don't want to blow my chance at a free battery pack replacement. On the other hand, I'd hate to miss out an opportunity to own the MIMA hardware in case MIMA hardware is no longer produced.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
1. I'll probably interested in the future

2. $100 - $150 sounds about right

3. I could assemble one myself, however I might pay extra for a pre-assembled tested unit.

4. Install shouldn't be too difficult. I've already had most of the car apart anyways. Just need something detailed enough to follow.

5. Right now two things would hold me back. First I have 3 years remaining on an extended warranty, and then I'd still be affraid of battery thermal issues. Again, once warranty is out I'd go for some modifications in that area.

·
Registered
243 Posts
1. Yes I want one.
2. <$100 if we are just talking a breadboard with an external pot and no indictaors. More as the functionality increases. ~$200 for with all the bells&whistles that have been mentioned elsewhere.
3. I'm on good terms with all my soldering irons.
4. I'm not so big on cookbook style directions. Give me informative directions.
5. A) a problematic battery still under warantee.
B) Time, too many other projects.
C) Making my Insight impossible for an normal person to drive.
D) Fear of high voltages.

·
Registered
466 Posts
1) Having a MIMA system in my insight would be great!

2) i could swing a hundred bux past the wife. probably......

3) prefer pre-built due to time constraints, but i could build one.

4) detailed directions would work fine, but i would really like a very in-depth theory of operation chapter.

5) i dont see one sitting at my front door! darn that UPS guy! ;)

andy g.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
1. Yes, I want one to use later, but I would buy it now if that helps.

2. If I have to build it I think the price should be: part cost plus $50
for your time of R&D and future enhancements / programming.
If you build and test it (the board): part cost plus $50 R&D plus
an additional $50 for assembly and testing. (I don't think that
you will ever recover your full R&D time - nor do I think that you
are looking for full payment, but I think that you should recover
some of it.)

3. I prefer pre-built (less questions and no error in assembly) but I am
willing to build it myself if that best fits the group and your situation.

4. Just knowing what wires/connectors to cut or tap into. Do not need
instructions on how to remove panels and such.

5. 36,000 mile warranty (non IMA) - Only have a few thousand miles
left. Seeing that it works with CVT Insights (it should work - a CVT
Insight owner in PA is going to have one installed by Mike so we will
know soon enough.) Deciding where to put the joystick control as
well as a foot pedal with a potentiometer (if that is still possible).

It would be nice if the electronics for the mirror adjustment had a pot
behind it. That area could then be modified for MIMA and look like
an OEM installation.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.