Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here is the new thread for all additions, changes, software, new hardware. we discuss all the technical stuff here, and we discuss all of the operational stuff in the old thread. Some topics will start as an observation, which would be brought up on the observation thread, but move to this thread where we discuss the technical details of how to do it.
John could even use his moderator powers to remove all of the technical post in the observation thread, and move them to here, like Rick Reese did to the original thread.
What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
MIMA software

I am still working on the new software, but with the holidays and everything, I think it will be next week before I can get in enough testing time to be comfortable releasing it. Why don't we shoot for the first of the new year, and that way I can enjoy the holidays a bit, and be testing the code as we do our Christmas visits.

Chisight has let me see the light as far as how to modularize the parts of the program, for easy of modification and clarity of function, so I am re working lots of the subroutines towards that end.

Present software has some changes, and some additions.

1. Pressing the joystick central switch will activate the AR2 outputs,

2. Charging at over 15 A will activate AR1 output.

3. ABC (Adjustable Background Charge) in mode 1, adjustment is 0 to 25A
4. The ABC charge mode will be disabled at less than 5MPH , and the mode 1 led flashes, but the mode is remembered, and as you acxcelerate past the 5MPH point, it is re-enabled.
5. Ramp generating code has been placed in the cmdpower processing code, so all changes of cmdpwr dutycycle (121 to 240 is the range of values) will proceed at a constant, adjustable rate of change from the present value to the new value. If the map control signal jumps from a high value to a low one quickly, with your present software, the IMA load could jump from +100A to -50 A pretty fast, causing a lurch as the load changes. The ramp can be adjusted to 63 different speeds, from almost as fast as now, to very slow.
The joystick has one setting for ramp speed, and the PIMA and ABC have another, so fast joystick response can be retained, while having a smooth gradual PIMA and ABC response where the step changes are more likely to occur.

6. Increased the delay on the keysampling code, so it will be easier to operate with gloves on.

7. Re-wrote the MPH measuring code, so it can present accurate speed information at the slow end of the MPH scale, 7mph to stopped.

8. If in PIMA, as you cross 19 MPH, I presently knock you out of that mode, back to IMA mode . On the new code, the system will switch out of PIMA, but the mode 2 led will now flash, and when you get over the 19 MPH, PIMA will automatically reactivate.

9. jsnable has found that his joystick needs to be nudged a bit on return to center, or the relay will not click. Others with two joysticks, are finding that they cannot reach full assist or charge, because of the loading effect of the two pots.
I am addressing both of these issues for the short term in this code, by increasing the sensitivity of the stick output so that the full range is covered, and also by opening up the deadband some more so that Jsnables stick will return to deadband properly.

Chisight is working on the real answer, a joystick calibration and assignment procedure in the Initial MIMA set up. You would do this calibration whenever you made a change in the mounting position, or went from one stick to two. The display would show a code telling you to pust the joystick in the direction you wanted for assist, then charge, then jog up, then jog down. You would repeat if you had a second stick.
The software records all and makes the appropriate configuration changes in the flash memory, and will from that point will be perfect.

Happy Holidays everyone :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Mike Dabrowski 2000 said:
John could even use his moderator powers to remove all of the technical post in the observation thread, and move them to here, like Rick Reese did to the original thread.
What do you guys think?
Well there is this troublesome thing called the real world. :( I spend several hours last time helping in the consolidation for the existing MIMA thread. And at this point I could only split posts into a new thread. I'd suggest someone take the lead in the MIMA threads in helping interested members and politely pointing them to the correct thread when misposting. This isn't a moderator exclusive function, its simply being a Very Helpful Member.

Also you all could decide how to consolidate the "technical" discussion to date, condense it, and post it in this thread. (giving credits where it is due). And at year end simply "abandon" the thread (with a final notice and link to the new thread) start a new "06" version with a summary and refocus the topic in this post.

BUT let's please remember what happened last time with the multiple MIMA threads. If you guys want this discussion and exchange of some very technical ideas to work, you'll have to do some of the preventative housekeeping too :!: :p ;) (keep the threads on topic, post replies to other topic ideas to an alternate thread, and help misposting members find their way through this potential maze. ;) ) I could reasonably forsee a few active MIMA threads, and several more in total as older topics are retired (inactive and historical). Topics for new threads should be well chosen and comprehensive enough so as not to fragment every tangental idea into a new thread. You'd then loose all cohesiveness in the exchenge of ideas.

If all this fails then PM a moderator for help.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mike Dabrowski 2000 said:
It is already difficult when discussing the software issues to know which thread to address. Having only one thread makes it easy to post, but it makes it harder to follow. Don't know if this second thread is a good idea?
Opinions?
I think all MIMA stuff should have its own forum, parallel to "Modifications and Technical Issues", not within it. I suppose that would be Ben's call.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THIS IS JUST THE BEGINING

The mods are just begining.
The succesful Turbo Insights, MIMA, FAS, and all the milder mods before them are the begining of a trend for some of us to dig even deeper and to cut deeper into this unique and remarkable cars control system.
The fear is diminishing, and the mods are just begining. Chisights PC/MIMA mod with all of the expansion capabilities, The booster battery pack, the grid charging, rear electric only EV mod, yes the fear is gone.
In a few years, the Insight will have a totally hacked control system, and be able to use the latest battery technology. Instead of being passed bu the automakers, we will lead them.
Under the control of a high level artifically intellegent control system with open hardware /software. The test bed for developing the smart MPG maximizing cruise control of the future will be in our hands.
The home hybrid tinkerer's dream system. The test bed of the users, not the carmakers, a big oppertunity for the tinkerers to raise the bar. I cant wait to see what we come up with. Life is good :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am for MIMA staying in the MOD section, as it is the flagship of mods and tech issues...Perhaps we can just sticky the main MIMA tech info into a brief summation so newcomers can read the sticky, like the white pages, and proceed into the other mima threads. We should maintain a MIMA test results/bug thread in the current MIMA thread, and move software and coding topics to this one.

The sticky could serve to connect the two threads into one thought, but seperate issues.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Earlier tonight I sent Mike the finished C version of the MIMA code for active mode so that he can test it.

I'm now working on adding the other existing MIMA modes so that this can be a complete replacement of the assembly code that is currently still the main MIMA production software.

The code is now GPL so if anyone wants a copy, please contact Mike or me. I'm sure it will be on a website for download soon.

We've decided to go with the C18 compiler from Microchip so anyone can download the compiler (and IDE) to contribute.

I finally bought a MIMA kit so I expect to be joining the 20 other MIMA owners in a month or two.

Chisight
'00 Red 4453 AC 99K miles 80.8LMPG Zero Recals
Record: 140.2MPG for 6.2 miles! flying start, hot engine, no wind, no net altitude change, no net charge change. (not down a mountain and not MIMA mileage)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Where is the easiest place to get the VSS signal? I see it behind the panel and on the transmission connector, but is there another place inside the cab?

·
Registered
109 Posts
VSS is on the "C" connector of the ECM under the carpet on the passenger side. It's a 5V/0V signal on pin 5 which is the blue/white wire.

Chisight
'00 Red 4453 AC 99K miles 80.8LMPG Zero Recals
Record: 140.2MPG for 6.2 miles! flying start, hot engine, no wind, no net altitude change, no net charge change. (not down a mountain and not MIMA mileage)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Dougie, having tracked VSS all over the car as part of the FAS experiment, I found that the EASIEST place to access VSS is on Connector C504 which is right next to the MIMA pc board just in front of the shift lever. It is shown on photo 64 in my Insight Electrical Manual. Note that the configuration of Connector C504 is NOT as shown in the Electrical Manual. The pin numbers and corresponding wire colors are ok, but the connector pin layout is slightly different than shown, resulting in different pin locations within the connector. I've scanned in my rough sketch of what's really the case and it's shown here:
http://www.katiekat.net/Vehicles/Insigh ... htC504.jpg
Photo of the connector with tape removed from the wires is here:
http://www.katiekat.net/Vehicles/Insight/C504Photo.jpg
(sorry 'bout the fuzziness). The VSS signal is on Pin 10.
HTH. JoeS.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Another question about the VSS signal: I'm thinking of using it to drive my rally odometer, which uses a regular 5 volt TTL input signal. The description of the odometer input is:

"Pulled to 5 volts with a 3000 ohm resistor and connected to a 74HC14 Schmitt trigger inverter via a 2000 ohm series resistor. The input is negative edge triggered and must be brought to 1 volt or less for a pulse to be counted. The signal must then return to 4.5 volts to re-arm the sensing circuitry."

Will this work?

Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts