Honda Insight Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
After further testing and review, and freeway travel, I see that Pin 2 does in fact disable auto start, assist, and force charges at 4 bars depending on speed and gearing. And normal regen as well.

Only thing that seems out of place is 19 or 20 bars on soc in all conditions. If that has no bearing on operation then is no problem.

I did notice that had to shut down car and restart to get auto start to function after disabling pin 2.
All in all, I am happy with way it is working. Allows me to run battery down a bit and charge up after when needed. Adding brake mod was waste of time as only function that happens is turning off gear up light.

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
Craziest organization of search results I ever saw. Date order of hit is seemingly random. Why not put the latest threads first?????????

Anyway - I encountered a strange phenom with my LTO conversion which I thought Peter might shed a bit of light on. As my battery voltage crept downward to 144V with 6 months of use, my SOC gauge went black - no bars. Otherwise everything seemed.

I just charged to 180V, 2V/cell, and now the SOC display is back.

Also, I'm wondering why the BCM didn't command enough regen to keep the battery above 144V. Maybe I need to add a resistor to the BCM fooler?????

V2.0 of conversion in process. this will improve the layout bringing the BCM/MCM to top of plate for better access, and hopefull solve some rattle problems. There will also be cooling improvements.

·
Administrator
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
The SOC gauge is controlled by the MCM.
Usually it goes up and down as the SOC sent from the BCM to the MCM changes.
However the BCM Interceptor sends out a fixed 75% SOC to the MCM.

The MCM detects the strange anomalous low pack voltage and says to itself ' I don't care what the SOC is, i'm turning off the SOC gauge because the pack voltage is too low'

BCM Interceptor functionality is completely dependent on the software loaded into it.
Yours may well not have any voltage detection functions.

The MCM won't force charge the pack unless the SOC % is 20/25%.

As your SOC is fixed at 75%, unless you operate the BCM Interceptor disable assist switch to set the soc to low it never force charges.

You probably need the newer software I posted recently.

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
The SOC gauge is controlled by the MCM.
Usually it goes up and down as the SOC sent from the BCM to the MCM changes.
However the BCM Interceptor sends out a fixed 75% SOC to the MCM.

The MCM detects the strange anomalous low pack voltage and says to itself ' I don't care what the SOC is, i'm turning off the SOC gauge because the pack voltage is too low'

BCM Interceptor functionality is completely dependent on the software loaded into it.
Yours may well not have any voltage detection functions.

The MCM won't force charge the pack unless the SOC % is 20/25%.

As your SOC is fixed at 75%, unless you operate the BCM Interceptor disable assist switch to set the soc to low it never force charges.

You probably need the newer software I posted recently.
Thanks, It isn't a serious problem. Near as I could tell, the assist was unchanged functionally. I still got the short burst of 70A assist followed by the usual 35-37A. I'm in the middle of an upgrade which is going to make everything more accessible so I'll look at reloading the S/W.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also had the experience of the SOC bars dropping to 1 bar with the pack at 160 since I was manually running the pack down to check functions(With switches). I ran it back up to 172 and bars ran back up to 19 bars. A second time it did same thing at 168v. Interesting thing is both times I was running air conditioning. Never a hitch until then. Don't know if it is related. All functions work as normal even with no bars though. When my panel volt meter comes in I will use it for 12v monitoring instead of pack voltage as I originally intended. I always monitor the pack voltage with my Fluke.
If Peter is interested, I did remove PIC from board and replaced it with socket, and have a first test of the new code running fine. Set up as 176/155/30C. Based on my voltage range I will have to burn one with a tighter range to see how it functions. That review of the MCM you just gave makes me think about taking a look at what the fooler is delivering, to rule that out as problem with no 4 or 0 bars when switched. I also have a spare MCM and BCM to try out as well.

·
Administrator
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
If Peter is interested, I did remove PIC from board and replaced it with socket, and have a first test of the new code running fine. Set up as 176/155/30C. Based on my voltage range I will have to burn one with a tighter range to see how it functions.
Yes I am interested in your results.. I haven't tested that code..

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will modify to 164 and 170 and test over weekend. That should be tight enough to show effects when limits are reached. Wonder if a buffer or reset delay may be needed so it wont click on and off continually when at the thresholds. We will see. I can't test the temp changeover as I am not using actual settings as yet.

·
Administrator
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Wonder if a buffer or reset delay may be needed so it wont click on and off continually when at the thresholds. We will see.
It's not an instant response, it takes several seconds for regen or assist to gently fade away if the appropriate flag is set and several seconds for regen /assist to come back again if the appropriate flag is cleared.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can see this is going to take a longer trip to test the new code. I am having a hard time getting my pack to go over or under the 164/170 limits I changed. I did get it over 172 for a few minutes but still had assist and regen.
My configuration is 72 cell and 170 seems to be where it likes to hang during normal trips. Flat land with occasional rolling hills. I have both switches ground enabled during test. I have a commute of about 20 miles each way tomorrow, so I can run it regen only and get it higher or assist only and run it down to below 164.
Will the switches being disabled have a bearing or will the code override them?

·
Administrator
10,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Will the switches being disabled have a bearing or will the code override them?
The manual assist/regen switches and voltage detection code operate independently.

If a switch is on it will perform that action.
If a voltage is high or low it will perform that action.

If the voltage is high, and the prevent assist switch is on, then the Interceptor will prevent both assist & regen.
Ditto vice versa..

Study the source code I published a few posts back..

If you don't have IMAC&C P&P then forcing the car to use assist/regen is much more inflexible.

·
Registered
27 Posts
After 30 mile round trip including a 10 minute traffic jam I could not get the voltage down below 165 with assist only no regen. Set at 170/164. So I reprogrammed as 168/166. My observations:
With assist only, it stopped dropping at 165.5 with assist bars still active. No Auto stop.
With regen only, it stopped climbing at 170.4 with charge bars still active but no brake charging.
My SOC bars dropped to 3 bars once it went below 167, and ticked back up to 19 once it went up to 170 with both switches enabled.
I see the code as a good safety function to keep from over/under charging. I will use it as 174/162, as 170 seems to be the stable voltage. I seem to end trip with same voltage as I start.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
54 Posts
On J5 the orange and white wires going to the MCM, do they connect (but not splice) to the orange and white wires on the MCM connector C?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know the posts are a little confusing, but it is an INTERCEPTOR not a parallel circuit. So you have to cut the orange and white wires between the BCM and MCM. Wires from BCM go to J4 and Wires to MCM come from J5. Just extend wires from the harness after cutting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know the posts are a little confusing, but it is an INTERCEPTOR not a parallel circuit. So you have to cut the orange and white wires between the BCM and MCM. Wires from BCM go to J4 and Wires to MCM come from J5. Just extend wires from the harness after cutting.
So for the orange and white wires I cut on the BCM connector A, the ones on the plug end of the cut go to the J4, and the two on the harness side go to J5?

81 - 95 of 95 Posts