Honda Insight Forum banner

Should SUV drivers pay attention to the road?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my fellow citizens drove his gigantic SUV into my Honda's passenger rear side, denting three panels: the rear side panel (sizable dents along the curve), the skirt (slightly), and the bumper (not too badly). His gigantic SUV just got a tiny dimple in the headlight rim, and chips off my Honda's paint.

The skirt does not have a reduced wheel clearance as a result of the collision. I don't know what internal damage the different systems may have suffered, however.

I was advised to get an estimate from a body shop in town. I have the driver's information, so it is possible that I could get some money from him or his insurance company. (I am sure that, when he knows the cost of replacing one or more panels, he will feel differently about self-pay.)

What would you all do? Would you have the car checked for invisible damage?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
check the rear support bar behind the driver seat and in front of the IMA battery tray. if there is any structural damage you will see it there. i had to crush 2 cars because of frame damage in the rear and that beam buckles at the edges where it meets the body and is virtually unrepairable if you find any creases or straight lines off(the IMA box is a major structure of the vehicle and retains it's shape where the rest of the car deforms around it).. granted my accidents were substantial.

aside from that, the only way to actually fix that section is with professional pulling. all those panels are aluminum welded to the chassis/frame, a good body guy could pop out some relatively non nasty dents. if its really bad then it would probably resort to drilling, pulling, tig welding, grinding and major respray work. (basically totalling the car). don't underestimate the damage, because the rear quarter panel is non-replaceable.

it sounds repairable but you probably won't like the repair estimates you get from a shop, mostly because it's aluminum and requires some specialty work.

·
Linsight Designer
3,906 Posts
Unfortunately, repairing QTY3 body panels is almost certainly going to total a G1 Insight. These cars just aren't worth enough to overcome the labor involved with paintwork. If you file a claim, the company will likely total your vehicle.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Police report. Yes. Do that, even after the fact. Insurance companies love them.

Body shop look-see. Yes. Do that. You can't tell structural damage from the panels.

If he wants to self-pay, get it in writing with a signed (and if possible, notarized) document.

He may have previous claims with his insurance and doesn't want to be dropped, but he might jerk you around when it comes down to coughing up the dough and then you'll be screwed, big time.

I think SUVs should be flippin' OUTLAWED and everyone who needs that much room forced to go back to station wagons! Preferably the ones with fake wood trim on the sides!!!

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,562 Posts
Briefly, a former friend’s husband did a hit and run on my wife’s parked car (in front of his house). Claimed he couldn’t stop because he had an important business meeting to attend. We reported it since we didn’t know who hit her. He offered to pay for the damage, yet balked when we asked for the average of three body shop estimates because he didn’t think the car was worth that much. We claimed against his insurance company and they were surprised to find my wife’s sworn statement differed materially from their insured’s. Needless to say, we were paid in full. File a police report.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts