Honda Insight Forum banner

201 - 220 of 225 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,148 Posts
I don't suppose you remember this test tool, but it might help:

I could send you the tool I made if you want to check the tension of the individual plug pins.

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Thanks for reminding me Jim.
This morning I went out and the car started with the IMA. My next step was to attach the BCM Interceptor. Without touching or moving anything I connected J4 & J5 and the power. The car did not start with the IMA. I removed the connections and the car still did not start with the IMA. The only think I can think of is there must be some residual charge/discharge/electrical residual either on the Interceptor board or in the MCM. Any thoughts about either? I'm picking up a used MCM tomorrow to try.

·
Super Moderator
8,148 Posts
Hard to say. Sounds like some connection is intermittent. Were there any codes when you reconnected the Interceptor?

·
Administrator
11,586 Posts
Interceptor lights flashing?
Jumper and link in position on Interceptor board?
Interceptor needs 5V

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #205 (Edited)
all above were correct; jumper in place, light flashing, 5V connected.
I'm thinking that the work on the MCM board to install/remove 1/4 watt resistors, install/remove smaller resistors then installing the tiny current-hack board has taken its toll.

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
I installed a different MCM with no Current Hack board and it started immediately on the IMA. I have the BCM Interceptor and Fooler installed and both lights work. Things are looking up. Now I need Peter's OBD2C&C software.

·
Administrator
11,586 Posts
Try and reload the one I sent you earlier.

However you need to triple check your LTO BMS harness first.

·
Super Moderator
8,148 Posts
Your two redundant BMS boards arrived undamaged. I'll test them today and give you a diagnosis. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,148 Posts
The two boards you sent seem undamaged. On the Interrogator they both read ID and 12 cell voltages.

I reviewed your earlier pictures and it seems that you have 0203, 0204, 0205 and 0206 on hand. Correct me right away if I'm wrong.

I selected 0202 and 0207 from my supply. Both checked out on Interrogator, displaying ID and 12 cell voltages. They are labeled as to ID.

I'll ship by noon Saturday stage coach if those are the two boards you need:)

·
Super Moderator
8,148 Posts
Above boards in USPS shipping. Expected delivery on Wed. 6/10. Tracking # by e-mail.

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
ok,.. 17 days later and USPS says it's been the Detroit Distribution three different times. Seems odd, June 7, June 15 and June 23.... there is always 8 days in between. Something smells!

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
I’m still having sporadic issues despite not doing anything to the hardware or software. The problems manifest themselves as an IMA light and CEL. Sometimes I can turn off the car and wait for all relays to release before the problem is fixed, sometimes I need to switch the pack off / on before the IMA goes out. The other day I got codes P1586, P1581 and P1649, I never did sub-codes since I was on the road.

I’ve noticed most times, maybe all, that the OBD2C&C Bvo value changes by 15-20 volts (holds reasonable stable), either up or down. When the IMA light is gone the Bvo goes back to ‘normal’. I believe it read pretty low (160V??) when "Mdm VComp Value" was set to zero, so I adjusted "Mdm VComp Value" to 12 so the Bvo reads my nominal pack voltage of 185V. What and where does Bvo measure?

I only have 4/6 LTO BMS boards installed, waiting on the other two, however I have one pack (the one with the weird 2” ground strap, which reads about 60mV lower than the other three.
I did not reinstall the current hack board into the MCM, however I still have the 240R resistor in the BCM. Does this effect anything negatively?

Suggestions to remedy my IMA situation are welcome.

·
Super Moderator
8,148 Posts
The total battery voltage is a pretty simple summation of the individual subpacks. It is hard to see how it could vary by that amount. Have you verified the OBDII C&C reading with a voltmeter and seen the same fluctuation?

Maybe your junction board switch is flakey? Maybe you have a loose primary cable?

·
Administrator
11,586 Posts
I’m still having sporadic issues despite not doing anything to the hardware or software. The problems manifest themselves as an IMA light and CEL. Sometimes I can turn off the car and wait for all relays to release before the problem is fixed, sometimes I need to switch the pack off / on before the IMA goes out. The other day I got codes P1586, P1581 and P1649, I never did sub-codes since I was on the road.

I’ve noticed most times, maybe all, that the OBD2C&C Bvo value changes by 15-20 volts (holds reasonable stable), either up or down. When the IMA light is gone the Bvo goes back to ‘normal’. I believe it read pretty low (160V??) when "Mdm VComp Value" was set to zero, so I adjusted "Mdm VComp Value" to 12 so the Bvo reads my nominal pack voltage of 185V. What and where does Bvo measure?

I only have 4/6 LTO BMS boards installed, waiting on the other two, however I have one pack (the one with the weird 2” ground strap, which reads about 60mV lower than the other three.
I did not reinstall the current hack board into the MCM, however I still have the 240R resistor in the BCM. Does this effect anything negatively?

Suggestions to remedy my IMA situation are welcome.

Sorry John! I need the banging my head against a wall emoji again.

Forget about voltages!!

Did you look up those codes? 1586, 1581 There is an immediate massive clue.. Current issues.
You have a current hack in the BCM but not in the MCM!!!

That causes an immediate serious current imbalance between the two modules.
So yes of course it affects things 'negatively'.

The BCM thinks current is 40% lower than the MCM.
The MCM is constantly cross checking the two values and so inevitably 'Houston we have a problem'.

Remove the 240R resistor from the BCM or reinstall the +40% hack in the MCM and all will be well.

Re 1649 that's your ABS system feed into the MCM, so check out that wiring.
1649 is probably not a fatal code and the IMA will likely still operate with it.

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Thanks. I'll add the board back. So what / where is the Bvo reading taken?

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #216 (Edited)
today since I was into the MCM I decided to make the Fooler-board connections as they should have been in the first place... I was clever by half in separating the small harness. This should not be done for any reason.
20200624_183223.jpg

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Car wouldn’t start.

Went over a huge pot hole and the car died. Wouldn't start with the IMA or the 12V (I think it was low). Had to do a dump-clutch start. When I got home I measured the voltage at the terminals on top of the Switchboard; nothing. I turned off/on the battery-pack switch; still no voltage (and car wouldn’t start with the IMA). I heard relays turn on and off with the start key. I had no codes and no IMA light.

What I ended up doing was remove under-hood fuse #16, the one that controls under dash fuse #18 that controls the MCM. The car started!

My question is :

was this an issue in the MCM?
What was the possible cause of the problem?
Are there any key components that need to be checked/replaced?

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
I made a 'leveling tool' made of high watt resistors mounted to aluminum with a wod base. It consists of one 500 and two 25 ohm resistors. I've wired it so I can use the 500 by itself, one 25 ohm or 50 ohms.
Leveling resistor1.jpg Leveling resistor2.jpg

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
I just posted on Building a LTO Grid Charger describing how my 'tool' is used. To be more specific this 'tool' is nothing more than a voltage-bleeder. My intent is to use it on single blocks only (12 cells) by connecting to each end at the cable attaching point. The fine control offers an 8mV reduction in 10 minutes; the gross one reduces ~83 mV in five minutes; medium one does ~31 mV in five minutes. There is ~ 20 mV spring-back with the gross one and none for the fine one.

201 - 220 of 225 Posts