Honda Insight Forum banner
421 - 440 of 455 Posts

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #421 ·
Getting there. Today I start the in-car assembly process.

Note on materials and design. I used 1/4" plate and 1" square 1/8" tube. I used 3/4" material to raise the rear plate to make it totally level. I chose to attach the front battery-pack attachment points using 1/4" plate, thereby allowing for easier input / output. I had to raise the battery an additional1/4" to clear the front pack / slope area - It's already test fitted. I made standoffs for the pack attachment points and the MCM/BCM modules 'cage'. I had to add a 1" W - 1/8" T strip in which to attach the computer module standoffs. The computer modules attach to the top. I already test-fitted those too and it leaves 1/2" -1" clearance for the top cover. I designed a dog-leg so the switchboard would fit easier and making the width for the front pack narrower.
I don't expect to run into any issues when I install the packs. I'll take a pic of the packs and switchboard installed.
Machine Composite material Engineering Steel Aluminium

·
Super Moderator
9,441 Posts
Very nice work. IMO this is about as sophisticated as mounting frames get:)

I hope one day to resume work on my similar frame when I regain my strength from COVID.

Reactions: minor4326

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #423 ·
Thanks @jime. Just following your lead. Sophisticated? Meh. Challenging? You bet.

What a project! It wouldn't be fun if one didn't have to improvise. Much tighter fit than I thought. There is 0.75" between the the rear packs and the front pack. That's tight! The rear two have to be bolted-in before the front due to clearance for the socket. I had to grind-off 0.040" on the diameter of two shoulder bolts to get clearance. Got the batteries all bolted down though. Solid and firm.

Tomorrow I need to connect the pack temp sensors then reinstall the LTO BMS boards. That'll be the most time consuming. Then the switchboard and connecting the packs; then the harness; then the MCM/BCM. With all the previous problems I've had in the past I can now put it all back to running in about 1 1/2 hours after the LTO BMS boards.

Final pics tomorrow. Phew!

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #424 ·
I forgot with the changed location of the front pack I had two cables requiring their length to be changed. I didn't have the cable connectors to attach so I had to wait until today. I routed the BCMI (Interceptor) underneath so I will have access without removing the cover. My last step is to add the MCM/BCM.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Motorsport Engine Auto part

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #425 · (Edited)
Ran into two issues: no good way to easily secure/remove the MCM/BCM modules. I secured the inside, unreachable bolts. The other issue I wasn't expecting was the length of the pack temperature sensor wires and I was unable to connect the connector to the BCM. I'm going to remove them and try to reconfigure to different LTO modules, lengthen if necessary, or attach more then one wire to a pack. We'll see.

EDIT: I moved the yellow-wired thermistor to a front pack and everything fits well.
Metal Iron Gas Silver Steel

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,319 Posts
Ease of removal of those modules probably isn't mission-critical because they ought to be removed only on very rare occasions. So it's probably okay if there's a way to make a compromise on removeability that helps with the wire situation.

·
Super Moderator
9,441 Posts
I'm a bit surprised that the varying lengths of the sensor wires doesn't support a compromise assignment, but you are looking at the wires. You only need one at the longest reach. Adding wire near the plug end of the temp sensors shouldn't be an issue-think Peter said that.

The actual thermistor junction probably uses special wire, at the junction, but you will have to check that out.

I would not so easily compromise my basic objectives for a little complication. You have worked too hard for what you have:)

Later: I think I see that you found the compromise arrangement of temp probes. I thought it was there.

·
Super Moderator
9,441 Posts
It is very nicely executed. My compliments! I think this is the most logical of all the support mechanisms I have seen. It really leaves little more to be imagined.

I'm studying your use of the oem BCM/MCM frame to support the the modules. I may have to do something like that, since my plan to use a lexan plate is somewhat heavier. You may have a slightly greater collision risk of a high current short, but there are probably other such risks that aren't optimized. That factor is a bit of a guessing game anyway;)

Do you have the MDI vent installed?

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #430 ·
I do not have the MDI vent installed. I originally envisioned modelling one that would fit the height requirements but my CAD guy went AWOL. I left the metal part and put in an air filter element that's secured by the original ring. Short answer is no tube;there is 'open' access to fresh air.

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #431 ·
@retepsnikrep I've have an issue that I think only you can help with.
I have an LTO 72 cell conversion and I've installed your BMS Interceptor using your code that sets the SOC to 75 to prevent background charging and I have a BCM Fooler using 20k resistors. This has been working amazingly well and my pack voltage and individual cell voltages have remained basically stable.
Lately my SOC gauge has been going up and down as I drive. Usually when I stop and turn off the ignition then come back the SOC indicates ~60%. The gauge will then go back to '100%' after driving. I appears to background charge at 3-4 bars to get back to 100. Also when I drive the gauge also goes up and down right before my eyes. I haven't seen any negative manifestation of this anomaly, but something's not quite right. Can you tell me what you think is going on? Do you need some data from the OBD2C&C?

·
Administrator
13,793 Posts
To be honest I have no idea John.
I haven't looked at any of this stuff for over six months.

I suggest you check all the relevant wiring and reflash the BCM Interceptor.
Maybe it's just a firmware corruption glitch.

I think the below was the latest firmware.
Presumably you are using it.

If that doesn't work reflash the OBDIIC&C...
But you will have to set it up again for your LTO blocks etc..

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I would think his issue is the BCM interceptor and the software he is using. I believe he could be using the software version that charges the pack when it gets low.

What I would recommend to do is use the interceptor version that sets the bars to a constant 90%, the first software version, and sets everything to maximum battery usage on the interceptor.

I could be wrong as I don't know the many things he has modified and touched, but to me it sounds like the BCM interceptor software and he would know that by reflashing to the old software that didn't adjust the SOC bars and also didn't have the option to switch between the two versions as he may not have his interceptor jumped properly.. I didn't like the interceptor software version that changed the SOC and started to charge the pack at low SOC, it was all over the place, similar to how he is describing his issue.

I much more prefer to have the modification that I can choose exactly when I want to charge the pack, that is what I would recommend him use and keep the interceptor set at 90% bars and a constant SOC.

·
Linsight Designer
3,611 Posts
If the SoC is going down while you're constantly spoofing the BCM, that means the pack voltage is too low. I've seen this in my testing when the pack voltage drops below 115 volts. The MCM is using the voltage data it receives from MCM'E' connector to override the data the BCM is sending over BATTSCI.

Check the pack voltage with a dmm.

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #435 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.
@ Mudder - the OBD2C&C LTP tracks within 1V of the actual pack voltage. Not sure why after your explanation you gave about how they can be different by up to 15V.
@insightbuyer - I'm using the BCMI software that works for me after several tries. It shuts off background charging. With my type of driving style it works great.

@retepsnikrep - I reflashed my BCMI then immediately took off on a 300 mile trip. The SoC Gauge does not appear to be fluctuating as I drive, but I cannot speak to the around town issues. What did happen was my IMA light came after being on the road for a while and stayed on the rest of the trip. When I would stop and turn off the car then restart, the IMA light was off but came on after about a minute. The DTE and BTE got up to around 103 each; outside temperature was low 80s.
Today started out no problem, then started having problems. I stopped, tried to look for bad connections but couldn't find any. Car started only on 12V. The LTP was 54V even though pack measured 163V; cells 1-36 did not register, i.e. 0 across all cells. The 12V battery was not charging. Now after the car rested, i.e. cooler, DTE @ 100F, car starts with IMA but LTP is still 54V.
What I discovered is the DTE was 113F and the BTE was 86. Yesterday during my long drive the DTE and BTE got up to around 103 each; outside temperature was low 80s.
Seems to me I have a temperature issue, as indicated by the 12V start when hot, then IMA start when cooled somewhat. I thought the DCDC fan comes on around 125F or even higher. I don't think the components are too hot as per sensors but something is happening when the DTE gets over ~100F. I don't think this is a temperature mitigating issue because I don't think 105F is hot by car standards, but clearly something is getting too hot. In the morning I'll check the LTP and report back. Suggestions or measurements I can make to narrow the problem? All suggestions will be considered and checked.

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #437 ·
I installed a "less abused" rear harness so I took-out the MCM and BCM. I removed the support frame, removed one leg, turned it around and moved it to the corner. In that way it gave me better clearance so I could weld the standoff to the frame.
Blue Line Fixture Bumper Gas

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #438 ·
the first cell in the last pack was not reading, i.e. 0000 on my OBD2C&C via CANbus. The car was getting the full pack voltage but it was reading incorrectly (reduced by 2.28V). I don't know how the separation happened but I have the pack ready for welding tomorrow. Does this non-reading cell cause the OBD2C&C to register a red light? What about the "a" in the far right column of the second row next to position #3? If that cell was not the cause please tell me what made the malfunctions on the OBD2C&C.
Automotive tire Gas Nut Machine Auto part
Blue Automotive lighting Visual effect lighting Violet Font

·
Administrator
13,793 Posts
Red light = alarm/warning (A cell is below minimum voltage) i.e. zero in your case.

'a' = assist limit flag.
The OBDIIC&C will be trying to disable assist via the IMAC&C P&P and or BCM Interceptor as one of your cells is too low.

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #440 ·
The welding didn't work. I had to fabricate my own connection. What a PITA . The normal material is 0.020" thick; I used material that's 0.028. This will never fail.

@retepsnikrep thanks for your response. Do these indicators always mean the same things?

Rectangle Grey Font Gas Road surface

421 - 440 of 455 Posts