Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2000 MT insight and am getting it back on the road. Car was parked with CEL and IMA lights, leaks, etc. but the car starts and runs pretty good. I have the IMA battery out of the car and an IMA bypass board in place. Pic of the bypass board style is attached. I have used this before to keep my other insight on the road while I did EQ's amazing ultra deep discharge fix on the ima battery, so I am pretty sure there is nothing amiss with the bypass board. My other insight (2001 cvt) is on the road, no lights, ima system working fine.

The 2000 MT insight starts and runs fine, but I have 12v battery light on, so that's where I am starting. I think I need to check fuses as first step. I haven't gotten to running CEL codes yet, going to get the battery light turned off first.

Tips and pointers are welcome.

Thanks

Mike

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,457 Posts
Fuses first including the fuse in the picture.

What voltage do see across those terminals when the car is running at tickover and 2000 & 3000 rpm??

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found no blown fuses in the panel under the dash or in the panel under the hood. Voltage at 12v battery was 12.8 at tickover, didn't rise at 2K or 3K. While I was working on it and listening to it, voltage dropped to 12.4.

I expect the 12v battery is tired and may need to be replaced, but it does not seem to be getting any charge from the dc/dc converter. going back on 12v charger, then out for a short drive to check codes.

Thanks

Mike

·
Administrator
11,457 Posts
I meant what is the high voltage across the big terminals on what is left of the IMA switchboard in the back..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tickover I had abt 98v, then abt 180v at 2K. then abt 198v at 3k. Released throttle to idle and the voltage dropped back around 146v. Flipping the breaker on the bypass board when I had the car idling raised voltage by abt 2v. I am thinking that means dc/dc converter is working properly, but will wait to hear you think. I am going to scrub grounds and 12v battery terminals to improve conductivity. This car was sitting outside for a year, so it is still waking up.
Thanks

·
Administrator
11,457 Posts

·
Administrator
11,457 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
unplugged bcm, mcm and 12v battery light it out, voltage plus in cigarette lighter says 14.0v! Yes, thank you! Have the battery pack on the work bench. Started making grid charger harness so I can plug in the RB charger I have. Planning to do tap voltages before I do any charge or discharge cycles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts