Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CVT 2001 insight continues to run great after EQ's ultra deep discharge treatment. I have a friend with a 2000 MT insight that was throwing P1449 or some other battery code. My friend Deane has worked on this pack a few times running charge/discharge cycles, so I offered to pull the battery pack this time and do the ultra deep discharge. I took a bypass board yesterday and pulled the pack, installed the bypass board, then turned the key to start the engine and nothing. No start, no starter engagement. Lights came on and looked normal. I worked on grounds and looked at the 12v battery, but nothing would persuade the car to engage the starter. I decided this was not my day and I put the battery pack back in and the engine started fine. I flipped the battery pack breaker off and again, no start, no starter engagement. I tried this several time and it was the same every time. No starter activity with the battery switch in off position. When I flipped the switch back on it would take a few key turns and head scratches, then it would engage starter and fire right up. It seemed like the process of trying the start after I switched the battery pack back on was charging a capacitor that would power the starter. One I turned the switch off again, it would cough and engage the starter momentarily before going back to "no starter" mode.

I was planning to have the owner drive the car in minus ima mode on the bypass board for a week or two while I ran ultra deep discharge on the traction battery, but that plan bit the dust. I have 5 battery packs right now on the shelf, so I think I will run tap voltages, try a charge cycle and see if any of the 3 looks like it is ready to go, but I am quite puzzled by the fact that the minus ima mode with bypass board took the starter out.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After sleeping on this problem overnight, I am thinking that the 12v battery needed a charge. Is anyone else seeing issues with rather sudden collapse of gen 1 insights into IMA distress that coincides with owners who quarantine so effectively that their vehicles are not being driven even weekly and are simply sitting and discharging?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,561 Posts
Don't forget that you have to hold the key in the start position for several seconds when starting without an IMA.

·
Registered
72 Posts
After sleeping on this problem overnight, I am thinking that the 12v battery needed a charge. Is anyone else seeing issues with rather sudden collapse of gen 1 insights into IMA distress that coincides with owners who quarantine so effectively that their vehicles are not being driven even weekly and are simply sitting and discharging?
I wouldn’t call it sudden as my pack was already in distress... but, yes. I grid charged my ailing battery right before our stay at home order started. Car sat for three weeks - I am working from home and everything was closed, so short of just driving in circles, I had nowhere to go. I got an IMA light on the first drive after it sat. I charged it that night and drove it a little more after that, but still much less than average, and got neg recalls much sooner after the charge than I usually do - less than two weeks out.

With daily driving I can easily limp it along for 6-8 weeks or so before I start getting frequent neg recalls and eventually an IMA light.

I’m doing a 3 phase discharge/charge cycle right now and have resolved to drive the car at least every other day after that to try and keep the battery happy.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
I flipped the battery pack breaker OFF and again, no start, no starter engagement. I tried this several time and it was the same every time. No starter activity with the battery switch in OFF position. When I flipped the switch back ON it would take a few key turns and head scratches, then it would engage starter and fire right up. It seemed like the process of trying the start after I switched the battery pack back ON was charging a capacitor that would power the starter. Once I turned the switch OFF again, it would cough and engage the starter momentarily before going back to "no starter" mode.
With the switch ON is it starting with the IMA motor or the 12V starter? Are there any pending trouble codes? I don't have any substantial ideas, but these are two things I'd need to know in any event... I guess my only guess is that there's a pending trouble code that disables starting entirely. But sounds like you must have removed the 12V and reset 'the computers' so you'd think any code would be erased and then that wouldn't be a problem...

I think there are capacitors that charge, but those are for IMA starting or at least usage... They shouldn't affect 12V starting, at least not directly...

·
Linsight Designer
1,873 Posts
It's one of seven things:
1: Ground straps
2: Weak battery
3: Starter bypass relay (in cabin fuse panel) is broken
4: Starter solenoid is broken
5: Starter is broken
6: Not holding key down for at least five seconds.
7: Positive cable from battery to starter is broken (I've never seen this, but it's possible).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts