Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda Insight CVT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I original installed version of mirror dash cam system in my daughter's car and liked it so much that I installed it in my Insight. And I REALLY like it!!

So it is a SPADE 12" (I recommend this over the 10") mirror touch screen dash Cam. 2.5K (front) + 1080P (rear) cameras. The camera are wide angle. The front is 170 degrees and the rear is 150 degrees (great for covering blind spots). The screen has a protector that address glare during the day, and you have brightness control to see day or night.

Respectable night capability for both cameras. You can display both, front or rear on the mirror. It also records (and comes with micro SD card)

It also has GPS for recording (comes with the system). It was easy to install and I have been very happy with this upgrade so far. I found it on Amazon (4.7 out of 5 stars).

Please see the pictures to see the install.

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
891 Posts
I have something similar that I have not installed yet. I was thinking of installing the rear camera high enough so that it could get a good look at all the traffic behind me. Did you consider mounting your camera higher than the license plate area?

Can someone tell me the diameter of the hole in the roof where the rear window washer nozzle goes?

·
Registered
2003 Honda Insight CVT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, you reminded one of the cool functions of this camera...You don't need to mount it higher to change the angle of view.

If you put your finger on the left side of the mirror and move it up and down, it will change the viewing angle. And that will work for the front and back camera (depending which one it displayed). It doesn't actually change the physical camera. I have added some pictures below.

If you put your finger on the right side of the mirror and move it up and down it will adjust the brightness.

My normal angle (able to see traffic easily and helps to cover blind spots)

Angled down (as far as possible)

Angled up (as far as possible)

In reverse mode (displays grid lines, the angle can be set to four different angles(that you set) and able to change as desired, plus saves that angle for when it is put in reverse)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wonder how well it would do in hot climates. Seriously considering this model.
I've had 1 dash cam last more than 2 years. The screen is messed up but the core camera system still records just fine.

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
891 Posts
The up-down function only rotates about an axis that is centered ~two feet off the ground. How is it possible to view multiple cars behind you if the camera is unable to view over/through the one immediately behind you.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,700 Posts
Multiple cars in multiple lanes, especially if in the blind spots. Except when the car behind you is about 5 ft. off your bumper. IIRR
Does the rear view show everything viewed as being reversed?

·
Registered
2003 Honda Insight CVT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
For the back camera (includes reverse) left side of the car is the left side of the mirror; right is right. Meaning that if a car is on the left side it will be on the left side of the mirror.

Yes, I agree the camera can not see through vehicles and being that low can impact not being able to see more. However, the insight is small so unless it is on the roof (or upper back window) from my experience using the camera, I don't know that you will get a lot more with that. For me mounting higher would mean that I would not be able to see as close behind the vehicle when backing up. So I chose what works best for me. Also I didn't want to mount it on the roof because I do not want a wire running out with the possibility of leaking through the hole. I had considered mounting it to the hatch bottom glass (inside) but decide that it would not give me a big advantage and I liked it above the license plate. Add the install required no modifications to the vehicle and was quick.

I think the install location will be a personal preference.

For the blind spots it does show 160 150 degrees in the back. If a car is in my blind spot then I do not need to see over it, I just need to know that it is there. The height does not impact that unless you want to move it forward on the car. From where I have it mounted a car in my blind spot is still on the back camera when it is visible in the corner of my eye at the window (without turning).

Regarding the axis, it rotates around the x axis; therefore allowing the viewing angel to go up or down. It does not allow you to rotate around the y axis- so you can not shift the view left to right, but again 160 degrees provides me plenty of left to right.

Cheers

·
Registered
2003 Honda Insight CVT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a correction, I looked at the menu tonight and for the rear view image it can be normal or reversed. I have attached pictures of the menu options.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have several of these installed on my cars. They're wonderful insurance plans. OP has his rear camera mounted a bit low IMO. I have my Insight's rear camera set under the 3rd brake light, and prefer it higher up. Yes you can show different areas of the feed on the mirror display, but the better FOV from the extra 2 feet higher perspective is crucial for seeing everything behind you.

What would really be nice is going on the roof with the rear camera. I have removed my whip antenna and replaced it with one of those cheap teardrop ones. I wanted to dremel out a hole for the camera on the teardrop antenna. I stopped because then the headliner would have needed to come out, and I am not a fan of the itchy fiberglass in those things. Though I shelved the idea, I always think about how much better the FOV would be with it that high up.

To answer the question about hot climate performance, mine have held up reliably performance-wise in SC. Though the one in my Mercedes has the glass touchscreen starting to unglue itself on one side. Something easily fixed, but also could be the battery swelling, I need to take a look at it before just gluing it back together.

I try not to pay too much for these things, they are clunky, chinese translated, and made with cheap parts. But once you get them set up they kinda just do their thing in the background. The dash cam is the primary reason for my other cars. But, having the massive FOV for the rear camera, as it basically eliminates any blind spots, is especiallynice on the Insight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts