Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just left a client location and was waiting at the 3rd stoplight. Everything had been normal until I shifted into first. The engine revved up roughly and then dropped down to only about 700 RPM and was very rough. I was able to drive it down the block to a parking lot, along the way the CEL lit up. :cry:

After calling my usual Honda dealer and being told not to drive any further, I called up AAA to get a tow to the local dealership. Luckily the parking lot I stopped in had not 1, not 2, but 3 AAA tow trucks in it. I did have to show them that the user manual says it's ok to tow with the rear wheels on the ground and that the magnetic lights wouldn't stick to the body.

The P0301 and P0302 codes the dealer found indicated that cylinders 1 and 2 had misfired. Three days and 3 new coil assemblies later it's running as good as before. :) In fact, the MPG I got on the way home (with harder acceleration and speeds greater than I normally drive) was better than I have averaged in weeks. This may just be a coincidence, but I will test it out over the next week.

My experience with Marin Honda could have been a little better but they did replace all 3 coils rather than just 1 or 2. And luckily it was all under warranty. One thing I did forget to ask them was if the coils are covered under the power train or non-power train warranty. My non-power train warranty runs out in about 400 miles so they may have gone out just in time. :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
That's interesting. My Red CVT is at the dealership at the moment being fixed (see my topic Help! Severe juddering...). I gave them a list of work to do, including replacing the spark plugs. When they were installing the new plugs they found one of the ignition coils cracked and the two others with damaged rubber insulators. The car will be at the dealership for over a week (mostly waiting for parts) and replacing all three ignition coils at a cost of over £240/$430 alone (no warranty).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm very surprised that with the amount of juddering and fluctuations in RPMs that the computer didn't throw an error and give you a CEL. But hopefully the new coils will take care of it for you. I should have asked the tech what the problem with my coil(s) was, if one or more were cracked or had bad seals like yours.

So far after about 80miles the engine is acting normal again. Now I just have to find where this one noise is coming from...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts