Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've posted a week ago, I was on the list to get a new insight coming in shortly. Today I got a call from the dealer saying it's here. They didn't tell me I had to rush or anything so I came home early, waiting for my wife to drive me to the dealer and got there by 6pm. To my surprise and even my salesperson's surprise the car was sold just 30 mins before.

It goes without saying i'm very sad. I even saw it in the parking lot and thought it was MINE already. It was a beautiful RED 5 speed insight with the protective stickers still all over the car.

So if you're one that bought this insight from Norm Reeves Honda in Cerritos, CA...... YOU'RE DRIVING MY INSIGHT!!!!

hahahha j/k. I hope you're enjoying it. The sales person told me it was a older couple that bought it. If that's the case I don't mind. I hope they enjoy it.

bobman.

·
Registered
323 Posts
did you not put a deposit down???

wow, that sucks. I had a deposit on mine and in the 20 hours it took me to get to the dealer from the time i got the call, they had 6 people try to buy it off the lot, and the dealer is not in a high traffic area on a busy street.

Did you tell them off? i cannot imagine how mad i would be.

·
Registered
89 Posts
you know the same thing happened to me.... i was all set to buy a 2001 blue 5 speed w/ less than 500 miles because it was apparently a display car used at conventions. it came with a certified used waranty so that would have been even etter than buying a new one.

basically i had no money the first time i went in so i couldn't put a deposit. i went in right after work the next morning (around 11am) and it had left 30 minutes prior. thankfuly the new owner traded in his old insight which although it had alot more miles, was also half the price and i scooped it up in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oh wow I would have been heartbroken! Will they be calling you when the next one comes in? Small consolation, but at least you've still got your other one! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Reminds me of my experience trying to buy a used one two years ago. I saw in the newspaper that one of the local Honda dealers had a used Insight, silver, with under 20,000 miles. I stopped by to look at it, only to see someone else whiz by in it just as I pulled onto the lot. A salesman pounced on me, of course, and when I asked about the car, he said the lady behind the wheel had just bought it. BUT, he said, we just received a second one, also silver, with just a few more miles. He ran to get the keys, but discovered that the lady Insight buyer's friend had just made an offer on it. The guy actually offered to try and put my paper work through before hers if I wanted to pay cash. I declined, and thus missed both cars, by minutes.
A couple of months later I found mine a few hundred miles away, a much better deal. Fate must have known I needed a break. Maybe it'll happen with you too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Same here...

I missed out on my first purchase attempt by 20 minutes. While en route to the dealer, I got a call on my mobile that it had been sold. I showed up anyway and test drove an 04 HCH. Nice, but not what I wanted. Two weeks later, I found a newer Insight closer to home, drove straight from work and bought it that night. Been thrilled with it since. Keep trying, you'll get one! :shock:

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I had a similar experience with the first Insight I tried to buy last year - but which also turned out for the best.

Honda stopped selling new Insights in Australia in 2004 (all M/T no CVT) so my only choice was used.

After much looking early in 2005 I agreed to buy a 2001 citrus Insight with 28,000km from a car yard on the other side of town (an ex-government car and a bit tatty but seemingly mechanically ok). I did the deal and signed all the paperwork but two days later (the car was supposedly being readied for me to pick up) the salesman called and claimed that a mistake had been made and that the car had been sold to another person the night before I agreed to buy it (after months on the lot)! I think that someone else had been sniffing around the car and the dealer called them after I had signed up to buy to see if this other person was interested at a higher price. I guess they were.

But it was my lucky day - a few days later I opened up the used car section of the morning newspaper to put on the floor just in case the dogs needed to do their business in the night (off topic – sorry). I casually looked at the Honda section and outside of the usual alphabetical listing I noticed a 2001 red Insight with “low kilometres” advertised in a block listing by a Honda dealership located no more than 10 minutes from my home! I don’t know how I had missed this before or what caused me to notice it then.

The next day I drove by to have a look. The car had travelled only 6,300 km (about 3,900 miles) and it really was immaculate. It had never been sold. Turns out it had come from another dealership (in the country) which had shut down.

I bought it for a good price (given its condition) and am still happy 14,000m and over a year later. My lifetime FE is 3.4l/100km (about 70mpg) and falling (very slowly now that it is winter).

Somewhere out there is an Insight with your name on it! :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't order it. The internet sales manager was tracking it for me and he never asked me for a deposit. The guy that bought it did the same thing. Another internet sales manager was tracking for him. I guess they don't talk to each other since it's a huge dealership. Norm Reeves is supposedly the largest Honda dealer in the US.

The only consolation prize I got out of it was a test drive of the new Honda fit. It's a nice car. The length is pretty much the same as the insight and it's got a pretty good punch. The engine sounded a little rough at high RPM. The seat configuration is pretty ingenious.

Anyways, it might have been for the better. 21K+ is quite a bit for little car like the Insight. I might just focus on getting a used one.

Bobman

·
Registered
143 Posts
Where in the world is this demand coming from? Honda sells only 8,000 of these things, yet numerous people in here have stories about just missing the ability to purchase one. Sounds more like a Prius story than Insight. I ponder (no, make that settled on) that there was no exposure for this vehicle.

I do know I drove up to the Honda Dealership with every intention of buying the Insight. I left a few hours later in it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
There is a little spurt in demand in the '06 models since Honda has stated that there will be no more. Fence sitters like me were spurred to action after years of waffling. But still there are some new ones lying around if you look hard--it's not exactly earth-shattering demand.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I believe the lesson to be learned here is ...put a deposit down and place an order if you really want one of these amazing technological wonders, i.e. the Insight. 8)
I feel for you, but I already got mine :lol:
So, are you going to try again? I recommend that you do!

·
Registered
97 Posts
There is a little spurt in demand in the '06 models since Honda has stated that there will be no more. Fence sitters like me were spurred to action after years of waffling. But still there are some new ones lying around if you look hard--it's not exactly earth-shattering demand.
I know that the official announcement to the end of the Insight apurred me to action. I don't regret my decision at all- I'm proud to own such a technological marvel. In my mind, I have an exotic car- except my car is the little trooper designed for maximum efficiency, not maximum power. :eek: :D :) I would seriously suggest that as long as the car's space/weight requirements suit your needs, you should try to get one, and place a deposit on it.

I've found that the CVTs have been much easier to find. I have not seen many new 5spd insights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts