Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving along with my wife when I saw this Ford F150 with huge tires in the lane ahead and to my left. I commented to my wife how much of a fuel guzzler that truck is. Then we came up side by side at a stop light. The driver of the truck shouted, "Hello! Excuse me!" I was thinking oh &@*@, the guy sensed my negative vibes and is going to kick my butt! I lowered the window and looked up. He told me that he thought the car that I am driving is no longer available. I reply that yes, he is right. They are no longer available new. He then thought that the dealer took them all back. Then it clicked! I told him that this is not the GM's EV-1, but a hybrid Honda Insight. He seem to like the car. This is not the first time, and still there are many who just don't know about the Insight.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My uncle thought my Insight was an EV-1 too when he first saw it. We work together and I hadn't told him I got a "new" car; when we were going to lunch he says to me, "did you see someone has a greener car than you?" He thought it was all electric, it's the wheel skirts that do it I guess. In my opinion, the Insight is far more attractive then the EV-1, as far as styling goes... I wouldn't mind having a pure electric.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My Insight has been mistaken for an all electric car on several occasions. Not the EV-1 specifically, but electric. I always drop my speed to 20mph upon entering a parking lot to cut the engine off. Thanks to the low rolling resistance I then cruise all around the parking lot looking for a spot on nothing but the leftover momentum. I've had people approach me and ask about my "electric car." Once, after pulling into a spot, a big pickup was driving by and the woman in the passenger seat said to the driver, "Look, it's one of those electric cars!"

As for the F150 guy, contrary to what the media might have you believe, hybrids are making an impact all across the political spectrum. It's not just "greenies" and left wing environmentalists buying these cars. Even the redneck conservatives understand that we're all getting screwed by the automakers, the politicians & the oil companies and they, too, want to see something done about it. (I can say "redneck conservatives" because I am one and proud of it, though I identify myself as a Libertarian these days, I still have strong conservative roots & leanings - and I love conservation, saving fuel, alternative power generation, etc, which seems odd that conservatives tend to be the ones not conserving, but I digress..)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I guess "Who Killed the Electric Car" has had a decent effect then.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My Insight has been mistaken for " . . . one of those solar powered cars!"
by a group of teenagers.

I was okay with that, but I didn't say anything to them, so my wife replied, "No, it's a gas-electric hybrid"

Rick / 2006 CVT

·
Registered
466 Posts
i do the momentum parking lot thing too. several people have commented at how quiet my electric car is. :) then i tell them i was just coasting, usually for the last 1/4 mile before i hit the parking lot. :shock:

·
Registered
9 Posts
A while back, my wife was having lunch with a group of friends and one woman couldn't remember the word hybrid. She called it "..a....one of those..a...bisexual cars".

That has been our favorite since.

Tom
'01 #1042 ECOBOT

·
Registered
107 Posts
That would (perhaps?) explain a sticker I saw added to a GEO Metro such that it now read: "METRO - Sexual"

Rick / 2006 CVT

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
When I first got the Insight it was mistaken for the EV1 a couple of times. Once a fellow in a truck asked me what kind of Porche it was. OK, I had no idea what kind of truck he was driving. ;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Tonpilot1 said:
... Then it clicked! I told him that this is not the GM's EV-1, but...
/quote]

... but it does look like an "electric car" :)

Just had the "Silver Bullet" in for its fifteen thousand mile check up and the guy at the dealership thought they stopped making the Insight in 2005!

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
11 Posts
3 different people have accused me of driving a Honda Fit

·
Registered
894 Posts
The most frequently asked question I get is "Is that one of those electric cars?"

The second most frequently asked question is "So do you have to plug that thing into the wall to charge it?" (usually warranted when I had it grid charging, lol)

Third most frequently asked question I get (usually from 13mpg pickup truck owners) is "So what kind of mileage do you get with that thing?", and after I answer, they always shake their heads and want to stop talking to me. :cool:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I find that mentioning the range of a tank has more mental impact.

"I can go 700 miles on a tank, and it's only $36 to fill up" seems to make more sense to people then "70 mpg."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts