Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other day i was at NAPA getting a filter and some oil to do an oil change on a friends car. i happened to ask if they had any 0w20 mobil 1, and lo and behold, they had a 6-pack in the back room. so i bought it. then i asked them to check if they had any more in their system. today i found out they have a couple thousand quarts scattered about in their warehouses!!! just go to a NAPA store and ask them to get you some. they should have it in a day or so.

enjoy!!!

andy g.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, 2.6 quarts twice a year i think i can swing that. :)

andy g.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
I had searched around for Mobil 1 0W20 after buying my Insight so I would have it onhand for the first oil change. I also found a case on the shelf at my local NAPA and asked them to see if they could get some more. The salesperson said there were like a couple thousand qts. at the OKCity whse. I had them get me some more. Yes NAPA isn't cheap but they still have some scattered around the country :D .

·
Registered
274 Posts
I too stocked up on Mobil 1 0W-20, but now that Penzoil makes a 0W-20 full synthetic I'm no longer worried about stocking up. Also, I wouldn't expect much if any difference in MPG using 5W-20 unless you live in a severe year round cold climate in which case you'll notice more of a MPG loss due to the cold than from the viscosity of the oil.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I just happen to have a NAPA warehouse/store less than 2 miles from my home. Just called them and they have 1080 quarts of M1 0w20 in THEIR warehouse. Price is $4.99 ea.

11710 Pacific Ave
Fontana, CA 92337
(951) 360-0192

·
Registered
49 Posts
Re: Oily

Shan said:
There were 3 cases (plus 4 Qut's) of 0-20 M-1 at Pepboys in Newport News, VA on 6-15-05
:D
Geez, I cleared the Hampton Pepboys out (a case) around the 7th but couldn't get to Newport News before 9pm. Oh well, I have enough anyway. :) Oddly, mine rang up in thier system as 05-20.

·
Registered
473 Posts
This afternoon I stopped in at my local Napa store and bought 24 bottles of Mobil 1 0w20 oil. Bill came to 64.52 after tax. Do the math. :?

Now, I've never used synthetic before. I usually change oil in my other cars every 5000 because its easy to keep track of. Because this is synthetic, would it be reasonable to go with a 7500 mile interval? Need advice please.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
from the mobil 1 website:

What's the overall benefit of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology?

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology exceeds the latest industry and OEM requirements. It is designed for vehicles under warranty and will provide protection for the maximum oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual or by your oil life sensor.

isnt the honda spec 7500?

andy g.

·
Registered
408 Posts
When we switched to synthetic, we lengthened the change interval to 7500 miles. The oil could probably stay in much longer but since the filter is so small, you can't afford to let it get stuffed up. If you do a lot of short trips or stop and go driving, you might want to bring the interval down to 5000 miles as that really takes it's toll on oil.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
devin1955 said:
This afternoon I stopped in at my local Napa store and bought 24 bottles of Mobil 1 0w20 oil. Bill came to 64.52 after tax. Do the math. :?
How did you get a deal like that? That's $2.68 a quart with tax!

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
The owners manual on page 150 state for normal conditions.

"Replace engine oil every 7,500 miles (12000 km) or 12 months"

"Replace engine oil filter at 15, 30, 45, 60,75, 90, 105, 120" (Thousand miles).

For severe conditions see page 152.

Replace oil and filter every 3500 miles.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Greetings Haf,
Twice a year? I have had my Insight for 2 months and have had 2 oil changes. Its time for me to figure out how to get the car onto a set of ramps!

HafNHaf said:
well, 2.6 quarts twice a year i think i can swing that. :)

andy g.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,970 Posts
Just "drive up" on a pair of "Rhino Ramps" from pep boys.

I've used them on 19 oil changes.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Quick question: Why are people stocking up on this oil, and why is it's availability an issue? Is it out of production?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Foxpaw said:
Quick question: Why are people stocking up on this oil, and why is it's availability an issue? Is it out of production?
It was discontinued earlier this year. Many users would like to continue using this tried and proven oil so we've stocked up on it. It's a good, proven oil so why risk anything else right now? It'll be still a while before we get oil tests and longer term impressions on the impending Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20. Until then, it seems prudent to stick to the fully synthetic Mobil 1. I do hope the new Pannzoil synthetics work out though! A good, off the shelf 0W-20 oil is more useful than even with higher fuel prices.

Anyway, I'm now storing a 5 year supply of M1 0W-20 in a well insulated storage room. The two NAPA guys thought I was nuts for ordering a few cases at once, but then again, they're driving GM V6 vehicles. One of them recently had to trade in his V8 because it was costing too much to drive. Both agreed that they now need vehicles closer to 30mpg than 20mpg with gas prices stuck around two bucks.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Foxpaw:

___The following is why we have stocked up …

Kinematic Viscosities (ASTM D-445) of the respective manufacturer’s synthetic oils:

Mobil1 SAE 0W-20
cSt @ 40 degrees C = 43.0
cSt @ 100 degrees C = 8.4

Pennzoil SAE 0W-20 <-- The new hybrid stuff.
cSt @ 40 degrees C = 46.5
cSt @ 100 degrees C = 8.7

Mobil1 SAE 5W-20
cSt @ 40 degrees C = 48.3
cSt @ 100 degrees C = 8.8

Amsoil SAE 5W-20
cSt @ 40 degrees C = 49.6
cSt @ 100 degrees C = 9.0

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2wv5l79c][email protected][/email:2wv5l79c]

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Hi xcel

How does the stock Honda 0W-20 compare in Kinematic viscosity?

Regards
John

1 - 20 of 26 Posts