Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a first. Mobil 1 has always recommended "follow your owner's manual" which is usually 6000, 7500, or 10000 miles maximum.

But now they've released this "extended performance" oil that they say can go 15,000 miles! "Guaranteed." I wonder how well it will sell? Anyone on this forum plan to try it?

I'm already running Mobil Delvac 1 (truckers oil) in both my diesel & gasoline cars, so I doubt I'll switch, unless someone can give me a good reason to do so?
Troy

·
Registered
274 Posts
The original Mobil 1 way back when was advertised as a 25K mile oil. Now 20+ years later they have "improved " it to a 15K oil :? Anyhow, the new 15K extended life oil is not available in a 0W-20.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Any oil will be contaminated with dirt, water (becomes sludge at that pressure), and acid. Synthetic oil will retain it's vicosity longer, but that's about it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Filters aren't 100% efficient. If they were, high quality synthetic oils would last a very long time. They say the 15k mile oil has more wear protectors and detergents 'n stuff. If you do a lot of highway driving (like most Insighters do), this oil would be great. Even regular Mobil 1 would last that long.

In my MINI, the oil change intervals are determined by the computer and lots of highway driving will bring this figure up close to the 20k mile range. Now there's no way I'm not going to change my oil more often than that (for protective puropses) but synthetics can handle it if they are always brought up to temperature to burn the water off.

I'm running Mobil 1 in the Insight and MINI and will probably stick to a 8500-10000 mile change interval.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Delta Flyer said:
Any oil will be contaminated with dirt, water (becomes sludge at that pressure), and acid. Synthetic oil will retain it's vicosity longer, but that's about it.

How about changing the oil filter more often without changing the oil.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Resist said:
Is there a convieniet and cost-effective way to do that? {serious question - no sarcasm}

·
Registered
408 Posts
Delta Flyer said:
Resist said:
Is there a convieniet and cost-effective way to do that? {serious question - no sarcasm}
No. Big rigs do it because they run 20+ quarts of oil. Our Insights only use 2.6 quarts and there's really no point in just replacing the filter.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
kapps said:
Our Insights only use 2.6 quarts and there's really no point in just replacing the filter.

I disagree! Sure we have to drag our big butts out under the car and take all those under plate bolts off. Then reach our hands up to the filter and unscrew it to replace it with a new one and screw those under plate bolts back on. A whole 30 minutes of our precious time sent.

Or someone could come up with an oil filter relocation adapter for the Insight.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Even if you put a new filter, you still won't capture all the crap smaller than 1 micron. You have to eventually empty the oil to get that junk out of there.

troy

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Like particles that small will make that much of difference.

I owned a small Beechcraft airplane that didn't even have an oil filter. Sure the oil was changed every 300 hours of flight time. But the engine worked harder than my Insight's.

Lawn mower engines don't have oil filters and most people don't even change the oil. They last for many many years.

The point being, engines aren't so fragile that only perfect oil will keep them going.

·
Registered
222 Posts
ElectricTroy said:
YES, they will. Most of the wear is caused by those tiny particles which slip past the normal filter:
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/bf.aspx "Reduces Wear"
Ha! Not exactly a disinterested, unbiased viewpoint that you have referenced there. :? [moderator snip]

but even Amsoil (your biased source) says that 60% of wear is caused by particles from 5 to 20 microns. The posts you replied to were talking about 1 micron.

I'd love to see how much wear these 1 micron particles are supposed to cause, but I have a feeling you won't be able to find anything showing that there's any reason to care about them. But hey, I'm willing to be proven wrong.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I agree! A particle this small would also be crushed by the internal engine parts and is hardly a threat to the overall operation of an engine.

And if particles so small that the oil filter can't stop did cause significant engine wear then you might as well change your oil every 100 miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts