Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was considering Mobil 1 when I got my oil changed yesterday, but the service dept at the dealership said they had never put Mobil 1 into an Insight, and they couldn't find anything that said it was OK to use it or that it would be benificial to use, so they suggested I do a little research. I did find something on the Owner Link that says synthetic is OK if it meets the same requirments for conventional oil. I would appreciate hearing comments from others who use Mobil or any other synthetic, and is it worth the extra cost. TIA.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Bfivelover:

___Ask them what the 0W-20 they use is ;)

___Just go pick up your own Mobil1 0W-20 from a Walmart or wherever else near you and hand them 3 qt.’s. Also ask for the excess (~ .4 qt.’s) in return as well.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:r0ojbo1l][email protected][/email:r0ojbo1l]

·
Registered
295 Posts
xcel said:
Hi Bfivelover:

___Ask them what the 0W-20 they use is ;)

___Just go pick up your own Mobil1 0W-20 from a Walmart ....
Last week I've heard that my local Honda dealer changed 0w20 oil for 5w30 due to oil consumption and smoke from the exhaust in the S2000's.
Is it possible that the the NOx converter can fail due to this 0w20 oil ?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Hi Windmill. The Owners manual specifically states that it is OK to use synthetic oil in the Insight. It should be as synthetic is better oil! The Insight is shipped with 0W20 but the Shop manual says you can use 0W30 or 5W30 too. I am using 0W30 synthetic in my 14 year old CRX with 200,000 Km on it. No blue smoke and the compression is still within tolerance according to the shop manual. The only problem I know of occurs if someone puts synthetic into a brand new engine. There is so little wear that the piston rings never break in properly and the engine never developes its best mileage. I use 0W30 synthetic in the Insight. In theory I'm loosing some mileage but the engine sounds a little quieter to me. Since I hope to keep this car for life, the added protection is worth it to me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
windmill said:
Last week I've heard that my local Honda dealer changed 0w20 oil for 5w30 due to oil consumption and smoke from the exhaust in the S2000's.
Is it possible that the the NOx converter can fail due to this 0w20 oil ?
The S2000 uses 10w30 only. S2000's burn oil when they hit VTEC and put a bit of smoke out of the tailpipe (just a trace)... it is part of the cylinder wall design (fiber-reinforced metal).

·
Registered
295 Posts
BlueInsight1595 said:
The S2000 uses 10w30 only. S2000's burn oil when they hit VTEC and put a bit of smoke out of the tailpipe (just a trace)... it is part of the cylinder wall design (fiber-reinforced metal).
Funny, the dealer said here that the S2000 uses only 0w20, maybe he is confused and it is used on the Honda Civic IMA ? What does the IMA/HCH uses anyhow ? I forgot to ask.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Synthetic engine oils are far superior to petrol based engine oils in every catagory except price....
They far exceed all standards that petrol oils could ever hope to pass.

Is synthetic oil worth the extra cost?
That depends if you are plan on selling the car in a few years or if you want to keep it for 10+ years.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I use Mobil1 0W20 in my Insight.
It provides great extra protection in winter conditions, hot summer conditions and when i'm redlining 1st gear in auto slalom races.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___The number 1 reason I use Mobil1 0W-20 is because it is Mobil1 synthetic (very good for your car) and it’s 0W-20 (recommended for your car). The real reason I use however is because it has the lowest Kinematic viscosity I could find at 0 and 100 degrees C. That means the best mileage too!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:r6lsi8po][email protected][/email:r6lsi8po]

·
Registered
23 Posts
I asked Honda Part Dept. if the OEM Oil is Systh. or not.
They did not know. I then asked if Mobil1 0W-20 was as good or not.
I was then told that Honda 0w-20 was made by Mobil1? They had no proof...

I live in Concord, NC and I'm thinking about trying out "Royal Purple Racing 9 0w10 Motor Oil - Model: ZX484986P". They also make a "0w7"

Any thoughts?

James
58.2 MPG Life
"NEED TO REPLACE UNDER-BODY PANELS"

·
Registered
166 Posts
Honda uses Honda 0w-20 non synthetic oil, if they have it in stock.

Classic Honda in florida changed my oil twice both times they used 10w non sythetic oil, and ever since my first oil change my car was driving like crap, and took it to them and explained to them what was going on, and they did not know anything, because most of these mechanics dont know a lot about the insight. So before my third oil change I asked them what oil they use and he asked the mechanic, and he told him they use a 10w non sythetic oil. So I told him no wonder my car is not running right, and explained to him, that is not the proper oil to use on that car. So i asked him how much it cost to do a ow-20 synthetic oil, and he said it cost $40 more dollars for a total of $60 for the oil changed, which is moronic, since the car only takes 2 1/2 quarts of oil. Oh which brings me to another thing they did, they have been putting 4 quarts of oil in my car when they changed the oil. So i bught my own mobil 0w-30 synthetic since no one carries 0w-20 synthetic in orlando, and mobil syn filter.

I am not saying all Honda dealerships are this dumb. But I would highly recommend you check, and make sure whats going on.

After I did a self change oil.. The car runs just as smooth and quiet as the day I bought it. not to mention I get 14 more mpg.(originally after the first oil change i got around 48 mpg, i am now getting 62)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Arsenic1250 said:
After I did a self change oil.. The car runs just as smooth and quiet as the day I bought it. not to mention I get 14 more mpg.(originally after the first oil change i got around 48 mpg, i am now getting 62)
Wow :shock:
Never realized, that it can save that much !

·
Registered
166 Posts
It was the fact that they used 10w and over filled it. Its not that big of a difference just by using synthetic...

And I actually have a bottle of the 0w-20 honda oil right here, and it says the oil is made in japan... so i am guessing maybe he is just trying to sell his company oil.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Today I have used 0W30 oil full synthetic, it was always 0W40, I have 1 round of oil left and then I will change to 0W20 cause my dad works by Shell and can get this oil for 1/2 price (11 euro=15$ 1 ltr). 8)

·
Registered
166 Posts
that is always nice to be able to get it cheaper.

But yeah all that I was able to find was Mobil1 0w-30 but its not that much of a difference maybe 2 more mpg if I had 20.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well the funny thing is that I can't find 0W20 anywhere, only at tha Honda dealer or my dad's work. BTW what is the price of 1 ltr 0W20 in your area ?

·
Registered
700 Posts
darwin9x said:
I live in Concord, NC and I'm thinking about trying out "Royal Purple Racing 9 0w10 Motor Oil - Model: ZX484986P". They also make a "0w7"

Any thoughts?
Hey down there in Concord.

I would stay away from that weight oil. 0W-20 is thin enough. Why not just use Mobil 1?

·
Registered
166 Posts
but my friend works at AutoZone, and got me a discount..

Yeah Royal Purple is a great oil. I did not know they had a 0w-20 synthetic

·
Registered
295 Posts
Arsenic1250 said:
well 946.35295ml or 1 quart of mobil1 0w-30 full synthetic was 4.66
That's a way lot cheaper than here !!

Why ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts