Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mobil 1 Synthetic "Advanced Fuel Econ." vs. "High mileage" (+WIX vs. WIX "XP")

Went to buy some oil at the local bigbox and was confronted with some new choice challenges. I have been using Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W-20 'Advanced Fuel Economy' in my car since I bought it. And now I see Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W-20 'High Mileage' oil is available, same price, same weight... I'm wondering if anyone has opinions on which to use?

My car has 230k miles on it - that certainly qualifies for high mileage. I probably lose about 1/2 to 1 qt per 7500 miles, not sure if that's burning or leakage. I don't see any leakage anywhere, but it could be a leak... I don't really care about the 0.1% fuel economy gain I might get out of the 'advanced fuel economy' oil; I'm more interested in simply what might be better for the engine, and curious if the 'high mileage' oil will reduce the oil consumption - as it says it has seal conditioners in it and that's what it's for...

On a related note, I usually just buy WIX or Microguard filters. I see that WIX has a regular -- and an "XP" filter that's supposedly engineered for full synthetic oils. What's up with that? Should I care? In the past I used to shoot for 5,000 mile oil change intervals, but since I've gotten oil analyses with favorable results, I've generally been shooting for around 7500-10,000 mile oil change intervals (I'm a bit under 7500 now, last time was around 8500)... My driving is pretty gentle, not much stop and go, not usually short intervals (no less than about 20 miles per trip)...

·
Registered
76 Posts
IMO the high mileage is a lower quality oil for around the same price. It has a slightly higher viscosity during starting temps to prevent leakage, but you could achieve this via a 5w20. The gasket 'conditioner' is not going to reduce consumption once its started, kinda like rubbing a bunch of silicone on cracked rubber. Mobile 1 AFE is considered one of the best oils on the market and i would continue using it. Personally i switched to 0w20 EP but that was because i changed over to 10k oil changes.

In regards to your oil filter question the "made for synthetic oil" filters are marketed like that due to synthetic oil being able to hold up longer in an engine so will likely have more capacity over dino oil filters. My current preference is Fram Ultra quite a stoutly built filter.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I would never use fram. Worst filter of the big box filters. Plenty o u tube videos where they take them apart. But i agree the highmilage mobile one is not as good

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah, Frams are garbage (Google OCOD, and/or read BITOG regularly). The Wix filters are what I use on my car, and they have had and still have a great reputation.

I also use Denso since I buy those in bulk for my Toyotas/Lexuses...they work great, but allegedly have a 50% filtration efficiency. They're constructed similar to the Frams but with much higher quality materials.

The "Advanced Fuel Economy" (green swatches on bottle) is the regular Mobil1 0W-20 full synthetic (IIRC, any 0W-20 only comes in full synthetic). "High Mileage" oils are a bit thicker and have seal swellers/conditioners (additive package includes stuff similar to those stop-leak-in-a-bottle products) to help with leakage from aging seals and burning oil if your piston rings/bores are worn. They rarely help against oil burning due to worn valve stem seals (if you have a puff of blue smoke on cold start and/or taking off from a standstill). HTH

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A couple of you say high mileage oils are a bit thicker. But doesn't the viscosity - 0w-20 - mean that the oils are the same 'thickness'?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
A couple of you say high mileage oils are a bit thicker. But doesn't the viscosity - 0w-20 - mean that the oils are the same 'thickness'?
Nope. 20 weight is a range, not an exact number. I believe I remember seeing Castrol GTX as being a bit thinner than Mobile One - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but neither is slightly thicker oil.

In Europe, Honda recommends Green Oil for these cars, which is more like a 0w16. In Japan, they use "Ultra NEXT" which has a winter weight that could only be equated with negative numbers, and is probably more like a 7.5 when warm. I get the impression that here in the 'states, we run relatively thick oils compared with the rest of the world.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Bobistheoilguy seems to agree the ultra is a decent filter, I agree that i would never use any of their lower tiers. By far stay away from purolator. When its available my other choice would be mobil 1 brand filters.

As far as thinner oils i have experimented with Ravenol 0-16 and can say i didnt experience any increase in oil consumption. The only negative i found other than the price was during 100°+ weather the engine became quite clattery, but its to be expected at such high temps. I didnt notice any increase in mpg. Cool that its green colored though.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm trying the Mobile 1 'high mileage' oil. No immediate difference noticed. Maybe I'll get an oil analysis when my next change comes due. Also, I'll be checking for less oil consumption. It was about 2/3 qt down over about 7000 miles this last interval, a bit more the last couple intervals... I'll try to remember to report back when the time comes...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
higher mile oils may have some zinc added to protect the bearings.

recently zinc has been disappearing from engine oils, except heavy duty diesel oil since those engines need the protection.

why? i'm not entirely sure, it may have to do with cost of making the oil or it may have to do with emissions. if it is due to production cost, it doesn't explain why diesel oil is the cheapest yet has the most additives, but there is also supply and demand... i do run diesel oil in my rotary car though and i haven't seen any adverse affects to using it, but it only comes in a single weight, which is far too heavy for the insight.

·
Registered
180 Posts
What I hear a lot is that ZDDP damages catalytic converters. I was going to dump in a can of break-in additive when I was about to start a rebuild on an '00 4cyl Camry, but decided not to because of the warnings on the can and on a couple BITOG threads (ended up dropping in an engine, because the bottom end was too hosed for a successful rebuild).

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So, since it doesn't look like anyone's tried the Mobile 1 'high mileage' oil, what do most Insight drivers use? Mobil 1 0-20 'Advanced Fuel Economy'? Back when I drove a Miata and frequented a Miata forum, seemed like most everyone there used or recommended Mobil 1. So I guess I simply continued to use Mobil 1 when I got the Insight (the '0-20 advanced mpg'). But I guess I've never actually seen Insight drivers recommend that, at least not all the time...

Oh, similar applies to the filter: the Miata drivers usually used Napa Gold, and the WIX regular is the same as the Napa Gold, so I continued to use that. Plus, if you look at filters side by side, you can see that the Napa Gold and WIX filters are a lot better made than, say, the 'Microgaurd' or other cheapies (though as I mentioned earlier, I sometimes use the Microguard). I also have used the Miata numbered filter, which fits on the Insight but is a little bigger (I think it's 1365 rather than 1356).

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
So, since it doesn't look like anyone's tried the Mobile 1 'high mileage' oil, what do most Insight drivers use? Mobil 1 0-20 'Advanced Fuel Economy'? Back when I drove a Miata and frequented a Miata forum, seemed like most everyone there used or recommended Mobil 1. So I guess I simply continued to use Mobil 1 when I got the Insight (the '0-20 advanced mpg'). But I guess I've never actually seen Insight drivers recommend that, at least not all the time...

Oh, similar applies to the filter: the Miata drivers usually used Napa Gold, and the WIX regular is the same as the Napa Gold, so I continued to use that. Plus, if you look at filters side by side, you can see that the Napa Gold and WIX filters are a lot better made than, say, the 'Microgaurd' or other cheapies (though as I mentioned earlier, I sometimes use the Microguard). I also have used the Miata numbered filter, which fits on the Insight but is a little bigger (I think it's 1365 rather than 1356).

I used HM interchangeably with AFE for a long time. Both seemed to work fine. Right now I'm running Green Oil, and will be doing an oil analysis when it's nearing the 10k mark.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
General rule is to change oil more often as the car gets older. Wix is a good filter. If you have oil leaks best is to fix the leak. If you want to go all out get a bypass filter. Amsoil sells them. But they are big.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I was wondering. If you have a portable bypass filter with an electric pump and suck the oil through the dipstic and return it through the oil fill (while the car is parked of course) every 1k or 2k miles. Then you can do all your cars. According to the video in 10 or 20 minutes it will clean all the oil. This way you dont add anything to your car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was wondering. If you have a portable bypass filter with an electric pump and suck the oil through the dipstic and return it through the oil fill (while the car is parked of course) every 1k or 2k miles. Then you can do all your cars. According to the video in 10 or 20 minutes it will clean all the oil. This way you dont add anything to your car.
Oh man, this sounds like a good project on my fleet. Not just the Insights, but I have an '01 ES300 with the characteristic sludging problems and an '08 STS-V that I worry about. I'm going to look into adding bypass systems to both, thanks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts