Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
1,353 Posts
So, since it doesn't look like anyone's tried the Mobile 1 'high mileage' oil, what do most Insight drivers use? Mobil 1 0-20 'Advanced Fuel Economy'? Back when I drove a Miata and frequented a Miata forum, seemed like most everyone there used or recommended Mobil 1. So I guess I simply continued to use Mobil 1 when I got the Insight (the '0-20 advanced mpg'). But I guess I've never actually seen Insight drivers recommend that, at least not all the time...

Oh, similar applies to the filter: the Miata drivers usually used Napa Gold, and the WIX regular is the same as the Napa Gold, so I continued to use that. Plus, if you look at filters side by side, you can see that the Napa Gold and WIX filters are a lot better made than, say, the 'Microgaurd' or other cheapies (though as I mentioned earlier, I sometimes use the Microguard). I also have used the Miata numbered filter, which fits on the Insight but is a little bigger (I think it's 1365 rather than 1356).
0w20 Mobil 1 advanced fuel economy is what I've always used. As for filters, I am not picky at all. I prefer FRAM tough guard filters, purely because of the anti-slip coating on the end that makes installing/removing them a breeze. Are there technically better filters? Sure, but I don't think it makes any difference.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Ive "heard" from people who cut open filters that many times the fram seam is not glued correctly allowing a gaping hole of unfiltered oil thats good enough reason not to use fram

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,686 Posts
Show some pics of the cutaway filter!

Willie

·
Banned
1,353 Posts
Idk, I have used Fram filters in everything I've owned since 1996, no issues, ever.

I think maybe since they are the most ubiquitous brand, and the most popular, we just see weird failures online more often.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So has anyone seen improvements in MPG's by switching to Advanced Fuel Economy?

I went to Wal-Mart today and saw both versions on the shelf. I ended up getting the high mileage extended performance because I plan on only changing oil 1x/year from now on.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
^ Funny, I had to blink twice - because I couldn't believe I actually started an 'oil' thread... Can't answer your specific question, but I never did see any difference when I tried the high mileage stuff - in terms of oil consumption. I switched back to the 'advanced', but in general I don't really care. If one were on sale and the other weren't I'd probably get the sale item.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
My application is not the same - I have a K24 engine from a TSX in my car now. I'm running 0w20 AFE rather than the recommended 5w30 and have been able to squeeze a couple of 70mpg trips out of an engine with literally 5x the horsepower to the wheels.

I don't have an apples to apples comparison with standard 0w20 or even 5w30, but I did not reach these economy numbers last year when I was running a different oil.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My application is not the same - I have a K24 engine from a TSX in my car now. I'm running 0w20 AFE rather than the recommended 5w30 and have been able to squeeze a couple of 70mpg trips out of an engine with literally 5x the horsepower to the wheels.

I don't have an apples to apples comparison with standard 0w20 or even 5w30, but I did not reach these economy numbers last year when I was running a different oil.
That is awesome. I just saw in your sig the thread about the K24 conversion. I love this car so far but the low engine power really sucks. Good to know that you are seeing better MPG's with the AFE oil even though you have a different engine.

·
Registered
654 Posts

You may be able to generate 5 times the power but I bet you are putting out pretty much the same power as the stock engine when you are getting those 70 MPG numbers.

Reactions: kennysmith
21 - 37 of 37 Posts